Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Loc

New MS Compatibility patch....

I was overjoyed reading about MS releasing a new comptibility patch with added game support. So i immediately installed it. After install i try firing up Half-Life and i get the msg "HL can only be run in 16 bit colour mode, change your desktop accordingly". Well i always run my desktop in 32 bit mode and i NEVER got that error with HL before (this patch). HL will work when i change my desktop to 16 bit, but to be honest i like my 32 bit.

My question therefore is how can i get HL to work without having me to change my desktop each time i want to play HL? (can i instruct windows to auto change to 16 bit or summin, as apparently it did in the past)

Thnx

--Loc

It totally porked my Half-Life. I can't run in any mode PERIOD. It tells me that my device does not support the resolution, even in Software at 640x480. I re-installed Half-Life and the 3dfx drivers all to no avail.

WTF is up with Microsoft????????

If you check out the support board on www.3dfx.com for hte Voodoo 3 you'll find all sorts of CRAZY problems.

The fix that was meant to have fixed HL has actually broken it!!!! frown

I feel your pain guys... but after reading your posts i still had to go get the compatibility patch. after installing it i am pleased to say that my counterstrike (all i really care about... in this world) works... i don't know about halflife but i assume that if counterstrike works halflife would as well. I have a Creative TNT2U with the 5.16 drivers on my win2k box if that helps anyone out.

I thought maybe it was just a 3dfx problem, so I hopped out and nabbed the patch. Halflife demanded 16-bit mode, so I submitted. And then, sadly, when I tried to go into the game I was told that my video card, my good friend the TNT, doesn't support OpenGL. I'm still using the old 3.whatever drivers from nvidia's site, maybe I'll try the latest betas...

Dunno that this will help some you, but I just installed the 5.16 detonator drivers and now my TNT loves me again. I realized there were serious problems when Quake3 quit working too. Installed the new drivers and everythings fine, except for that damn 16-bit color thing, but at least it goes.

i found this on the 3dfxgamers board..not my post

MS solved the following problems with HL running under Win2K after installing the the May Compatibility Update:

1) Program will not start if desktop is set to 32bit color.

2) Program will not begin 3D mode if 3dfx mini-GL or Wicked-GL is installed.

The solution is easy. Download: http://home.carolina.rr.com/esmith/halflife.inf

Then right click the file and choose "INSTALL".

Voila, problem solved.

HIH,

Tea"

hope this helps

i cant seem to find this patch on the win2k downloads site or windows update...looks like another failed MS release

CHAOSMAN: That post may help the 3Dfx people, but there are also a lot of people who use NVidia or summin else, which that patch can't solve unfortunately.

I hope MS has noticed all the bad mouthing it gets over this new update and gets this patch patched QUICKLY!!

--Loc

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS....thnx CHAOSMAN =) That .inf did the trick.

I suggest all you peeps go get and install it cause it does work!!

--Loc

Quote:
Originally posted by Loc:
CHAOSMAN: That post may help the 3Dfx people, but there are also a lot of people who use NVidia or summin else, which that patch can't solve unfortunately.

It fixed MY nvidia problem.... I was getting the 'must be in 16-bit color' message, but with the inf file it now works fine.

Basically all the inf does is remove the registry key for half-life in the app-compatibility section. So if it was working before the update, it should also work after you install the inf.

well glad i could help..now someone go to my topic and help me!!!!

j/k.. but any help would be appreciated =)

Where can I find this compatbility patch?

I looked on the win2k update site, to no avail. Could someone please give me a link or email it to me? Because I have a V3, and I cant stand playing Hl in 3dfx Mini GL, pnly Wicked GL. Thanks.

I too cannot find the W2K patch for may 2000....and I have gone to the update site several times frown Where else can I get it?