Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Todd

DirectX 7(a) in W2k problem--SOLVED!!!

Hi all,

ALRIGHT!!!

I was getting the error message:

You have DirectX 0. Please install DirectX 7. Could not load ".\drivers\registryz"

[Files=\real\patch3\pc\set3d.c, LINE=273]

But now I have got the demo working! Eureka!!

What was the problem, you ask?

The darned colour depth! ARRGGGG!!!

I have my desktop set to 24bit colour and the game apparently only reacts to 16 or 32bit colour

depths. Once I dropped down to 16bit I could run the 3D set-up fine (Matrox G400 came up right away)

it started just like that.

Why oh why must these things be so arcane?

Now I'm concerned whether the full game will run properly. Anyone had problems going from the demo

to the full game on their W2000 set-up?

--

Todd

Todd - Great news that you got it working...now, what exactly was it you got working?

[sTEN]Senate - You solve it by now installing it.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

You stop trying to install Directx7 for 9x and you wait for a Directx update for Windows 2000. THAT IS HOW YOU SOLVE IT.

what these retards are trying to say is win2k RC2 and later come with Dx7. The only updates you need for win2k are at the windows update website (the link is on your start menu) and the drivers for sound and video or whatever; that is unless windows installed its own drivers. Then you should only replace them if the new drivers are stable. man i just spilt hot wax on my hand.

Sorry about that guys and gals!

I am referring to Need for Speed 5 under W2k. A lot of folks have had the DirectX 7 vs. 7a problem when trying to run NFS5 under W2k and it gave them the error message I posted above. But just reducing your colour depth to 16bit should solve it. At least it did for me.

I have had the problem you mention, but it is with Sammy Sosa High Heat Baseball 2001. During the install, I see the error about neeting DirectX 7.0a, but it allows me to install. Unfortunately, it will not load when I try to launch the game after that. I'll try your suggestion with the color depth and see if that affects this game as well.

Originally posted by Todd:

W2k. A lot of folks have had the DirectX 7 vs. 7a problem when trying to run NFS5 under W2k and it gave them the error message I

I hate to say this but have you checked the 3D Setup for NFS 5? Im sure it will say you are running under software rendering. I ran into this problem as well with DX 7 not detected. As far as I can tell it has to do with corruption of the Detonater drivers. The only way I could fix it was a fresh intall of 2000 BAAADD.

------------------

Dont be afraid to face the unknown!!

Does anyone who is having this problem happen to have a DVD decoder card installed on their system? In paticular Hollywood Plus beta drivers, Ive found that this was the cause of my problems.

Later...........

RattDawg

------------------

Dont be afraid to face the unknown!!

I got build 2195, the retail product as well as Beta 3 and RC2. Have you attempted to install the 7.0->7.0a patch on W2K Pro???

if so, what settings did you use in add. to 16bpp color depth???

I'm trying to get my EA NFS games (IISE through IV:High Stakes to run), with the annoying msg. : " " doesn't support Windows NT.

can the Direct-X uninstaller remove DX7.0 in the retail version????