Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarkWolf

Sticky Key's in W2K Poll Survey!!! Please read!!!!

I have problems with:

Crusaders Of Might & Magic

NOX

Microsoft Intelli mouse (default driver) (PS/2)

QDI Brilance B1S,

Celeron 366@550

128MB RAM

V3 3000

SB Live!

------------------

Wilk

gsawicki@shell.mt.pl

Sometimes when I first go into Quake 3, the keyboard is dead, but the mouse isn't. After I move the move, the keyboard then works. This happens only once in a while.

After repeatedly hitting some keys, the stickyfingers popup came up, I disabled it, and it doesn't come up anymore, no matter how many times I hit the keys. =)

Mike

i've got a microsoft intellimouse (ps/2) and have sticky keys problems in rogue spear ...

PII 400, Win2k pro final

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that had this problem, I first posted this problem here last month to no avail... well hope you have more luck.

My info:

Celeron 466

128MB Ram

SB Live! Value

16mb Riva TnT

Logitech wheel mouse (PS/2)

Sticky buttons problem with Rogue Spear.

I have the sticky keys problem too. I have it occasionally in Everquest, but nearly constantly in Aliens vs Predator. My keyboard is the Microsoft Internet Keyboard (ps2) and my mouse is the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (usb).

Pete

Ok, here goes: I've got a PS/2 Intellimouse inputing at 100Hz with a PS/2 IBM Preferred keyboard. When I first installed 2k final about three months ago I had tons of sticky key problems with both my mouse and keyboard in UT, TR4, etc. For some reason OpenGL wouldn't work at all (even the screensavers), so I finally just reinstalled it about three weeks ago. Now OpenGL works (I've got a TNT using the 3.78 drivers) and all the controller problems have gone away! At the same time I upped my keyboard input rate to 16hz from the default 8hz so that might be what fixed the keyboard stickiness. I've tried playing Half-Life, UT, Quake3, Tomb Raider 3 & 4, all of which sucked before I reinstalled.

I've got a Celeron 450, Abit BF6, & 192MB RAM

[This message has been edited by Jester (edited 16 March 2000).]

STICKY KEY & MICE PROBLEMS

Mice Listing V3.0 smile

LOGITECH MICE

APV_SAV - Logitech Wheel Mouse (PS/2)

ROBOR - Logitech Trackman Marble No Wheel(PS/2)

FROGMASTER - Logitech Cordless desktop(PS/2)

Nite- Logitech Wheel Mouse(PS/2)

Cheesehead- Logitech Wheel Mouse(PS/2)

EVIL HOMER - Logitech MouseMan Wheel(USB)

GENiUS - Logitech Pilot Mouse(Serial)

MICROSOFT MICE

Ekstreme - Microsoft Intellimouse(PS/2)

RUDY - Microsoft Intellimouse(PS/2)

pr-man- Microsoft Intellimouse(PS/2)

Wilk- Microsoft Intellimouse(PS/2)

Candlestick-Microsoft Intellimouse(PS/2)

Cheesehead- Microsoft Wheel Mouse(USB)

Sensei- Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(USB)

- IGOR - - Microsoft Mouse(Serial)

INCUBUS - Microsoft Intellimouse Pro

Could you please state how you have it connected...PS/2, Serial?

No problems

DOSFREAK - Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (USB)

Spong - Intellimouse Explorer (USB)

Jester-Microsoft Intellimouse (PS/2)

I know I know...Where are the Keyboard listings? Hehhe..I'm lazy..Their coming soon....

For those of you that can switch your Mice from USB to PS/2 or PS/2 to USB please do so.

If you can't do that with your existing mouse then could you please find an older mouse

and try to use that please?

Well this may be so DosFreak but I do appreciate the good work your doing on keeping the list updated for me. So please contiue the good effort.

Going to try another theory back in about an hour to tell you how it all went.

------------------

DarkWolf

As I walk through the Darkness and the Shadows of the Night, you should be wary as you are never out of my sight.

Okay, I plugged in my Mouseman USB via its PS/2 adapter, but I can't really report any changes, as I totally lost the use of my mouse. This was after two reboots too.

Put it back in the USB port and it all worked again...

So, thats all I can report.

evil Homer

------------------

"Screw you guys... I'm going home!"

OK. There seem to be a couple of common threads here:

1. Accelerated PS/2 sample rates or USB sample rates cause problems in some games. This may be due to certain assumptions made by the developers of said games about how many samples/sec they're getting.

Has anyone tried removing the sample rate customizations and retesting?

2. Rogue Spear and AVP appear to consistently have problems with this, where many other games do not...

Doesn't that suggest a problem more with the game than the underlying OS? Have Red Storm or Acclaim announced that they've reproduced the issue and can or can't fix it, or that it's a straight OS issue that somehow 99% of other game developers managed to avoid?

I think the answer would be along the lines of "it wasn't designed for NT" so the thread handling may be causing a problem - hence the fix of setting the priority to "background applications" and seeing an improvement.

Just my $0.02.

hrrm got to this a bit late, but I have 0 sticky key problems with anything in win2k .. err now that i have said that will probably cause all sorts of havoc.. anyway My games:

Unreal Tournament

Q3 Arena

Asherons Call (major video issues with 3.78 nvidia drivers cured by 3.81 WOOHOO)

Need For Speed 4

Hardware

ABit BH6

384 PC 100 sdram

promise ultra 66 wd 20.4 maxtor 13.6

HP Cdwriter 8100i

MS Natural Keyboard Pro (USB) detected as a standard keyboard but intellitype installed and all buttons function as expected)

Logitech Trackman Marble FX (logitech 9.0 drivers)

A random thought are the keys actually getting stuck? or is some background process consuming nearly 100% cpu time? i know it sounds silly but indexing service and some others can cause these types of "spikes" (dont ask me why background processes are thinking they should move into "idle mode" usage patterns .. unless its due to no desktop interaction for X amount of time?)

sorry for the long ramble but my brother and I (identical setups) play unreal tourn and q3 here for hours at a time and never have any stickiness issues, but we generally kill most processes unrelated to gaming before we play! will try it without killin em and see how it goes again sorry for long post and spouting off about something I am probably totally wrong about!

jabbathewocket

[This message has been edited by jabbathewocket (edited 21 March 2000).]

I think I saw in another post some time ago that someone said that the company that produced Rogue Spear said that is was a DirectX problem. Since there is nothing wrong with NT's DirectX, I guess we'll have to wait for a patch for the game.

Okay, I cleared some background services, such as Indexing which weren't being used, and tried again... Oh look, no change, so thats another solution we forget.

I notice that a lot of people say they have problems with AvP, Rogue Spear, UT, and Q3A.

I can't say I've had any problems relating to any of these games, they all run quite smoothly, considering they're not designed for this O/S.

One other thing DosFreak... I think you might be holding your breath for Redstorm to release a patch for Rogue Spear. Seeing it was designed to run under 95/98, if it ain't broken, then they won't fix it, exactly the same response from EA who I have tangled with over getting Fifa 2000 to work, and even then they said a load of bollox anyway. smile (Specifically that its drivers and not copy protection which is at fault, but thats another story)

I think it may just be a situation where there is no common reason, and therefore no common fix in sight.

evil Homer

------------------

"Screw you guys... I'm going home!"

The only problems I've had so far is in Aliens vs. Predator. The mouse buttons either respond slowly or stick.

I'm running on a K6-III 450 with 128 MB

Viper V770 Ultra

Logitech USB wheel mouse

Okay me

MS intellimouse-optical

Logitech Cordless Keyboard(w/those quick access keys)

AMDk63-400 on a Epox MVP3g-m

128 PC133 ram

20GB IBM HD

Mx300

V3 2000 AGP

I have no problems with Tribes(someone said they did)

I do have problems with my keyboard not responding to mapped keys when in MW3. I hit Alt-Tab or C-A-D and go back into the game and it's fine..length of time before it happens again varies.

To elaborate on my previous...

With both the USB Intellimouse and PS/2 Logitech I can recreate the problem very easily in Rogue Spear or AvP without even touching the keyboard. I've always set the mouse2 button as 'move forward'. If I'm walking forward and turn with the mouse left or right, it will stick in the 'walk forward' position until I click the mouse2 button again. Food for thought.

I have very very bad sticky keys in Nox when running win2k. The game is unplayable.

I am using a Logitech Mouseman Wheel. (USB)

I hope you guys can find a cure to this.

Ok, I've now tried Mechwarrior 3 and Rogue Spear and both had serious problems with stickiness. I went back out and killed all background apps which got rid of most the stickiness, but there was still a slight stickiness.

Ok, I've crumbled & have re-formated my system, re-installed Win98SE & now dual boot with Win2K. All my games are on Wintendo98 & my apps are on Win2k. No sticky keys or nothing.

I did turn off all other apps, raised the sensitivity of my mouse to 200 & changed the system to background apps & none of that helped my sticky key problem in Rogue Spear. So, back to having 2 OS's on my system, oh well. I play enuf games on the net that I had to do this, atleast till Microsoft issues another game patch for Win2k & it fixes Rogue spear... my favorite game.

I only had sticky keys prob with Win2k RC3 (2185). After up[censored] my BIOS and formatting to put on Final no sticky keys.

PII 400

Asus P2B

MS intellimouse explorer (ive used it ps/2 and USB)

Win2k pro 2195

sb live

riva tnt

voodoo 2

OK, I hope that I am not too late here. I haven't had any problems with UT, Q2, Q3A, Half-Life, Forsaken. But, I have this "...Dummies" book that I am using to review for the NT Server in the Enterprise and it has some dinky little game. When I tried it (it appears to be DOS-based) I kept having a "sticky-keys" problem. If I held the key past the initial pick-up to the point where it would repeat the strike, the ship would keep moving in that direction until I hit that same key again. I didn't try this game in 98 because it was stupid anyway. I just thought that the game was trying to interpret KB commands directly (passing the HAL?--I didn't know if this situation applied to the KB as well) and it just freaked. Other than that, nothing else.

My System

Win2K Pro (Retail Box)

P-III 550 @ 617

256MB RAM

Asus P3B-F

Turtle Beach A3D sound card (Win2K default)

TNT2 Ultra (5.18--These bad boys ROCK!)

Intel Pro/100 Mgmt Adapter (Win2K default)

Intellimouse Explorer (Using USB-Win2K default)

MS Natural KB (PS2)

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 03 April 2000).]

Haven't had one problem with "Sticky Keys"

/me knocks on wood.

I have a PII-400MHz 128Meg RAM

Aureal Vortex 2 SuperQuad (a3d)

with the latest beta drivers

Voodoo3 3500TV with the latest beta drivers

MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

and the intellimouse software...

Games I've played in w2k:

GTA2

Thief2

UT

NFS5: porsche unleased

The Sims

..gonna go try messiah now smile

I'm noticing people --increasing-- the sample rate for their keyboard and mouse...

NT always had a higher sample rate for each that 9x.

You may want to consider slowing the sample rate down. Yes, slowing it down. It's probably going too fast for the game.

And one fix was to go to Control Panel/System and set Application Performance priority to Background Services.

Given the number of games that exhibit this is limited (i.e. it doesn't happen in every game) doesn't that suggest a game programming issue?

No problems with Quake3, Star Trek Armada, Unreal Tourney, Half-Life...using a microsoft ps/2 mouse

I'm running dual366@550 on BP6 and have had the sticky keys(loss of mouse and keyboard) with three logitech mice:

PS/2 firstmouse wheel,

ps/2 firstmouse threebutton, and

ps/2 mouseman 95(old wedge design(aka gaming mouse)).

My Story:

I ran all the betas Plus the 2195 final with my threebutton firstmouse for months without problems, until I switched to the firstmouse wheel. That's when i started getting sticky keys. Unfortunately I also upgraded to Mouseawre 9.0 so all that time i thought it was that.. I uninstalled, reinstalled, everything(including win2k) but i still kept getting the sticky keys with the firstmouse wheel.

Bah! sucks eh? I thought I had it figured out before where i had a week of no crashes with the ps/2 firstmouse *threebutton*(i finally switched back to see if it was the mouse). I also changed my MPS 1.4 to 1.1.

I switched back to the firstmouse wheel and bam! sticky keys. For uncontrollable reasons i couldn't get the threebutton firstmouse back so i went out and bought the old mouseman95 mouse(i love the feel of it, also three buttons) and tried it out thinking it was a wheel problem, but i still get sticky keys in games AND in plain ol' desktop(was always like this).

I'm desperately trying to get back my three button firstmouse...

mr_yellow

---------

Win2k build 2195, ACPI enabled.

Celeron 366@550 on BP6 w/QQ, Xentor32 TNT2U(3.81), SB Live!(Liveware2k), IDE1=6G quantum(ata33), IDE2=CDROM, IDE3=13G quantum(ata66), Dualboot with win98.

[This message has been edited by mr_yellow (edited 02 April 2000).]