Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stasis

r_smp 1 in Quake3

alright...ran a few demos, worked fine...till I typed r_smp 1 at the console. Exited, re-entered the game, and it went to a gray screen at my desktop resolution, with the gamma jacked way up. Then it sits till I go to taskman and kill the q3 processes. I'm using Chameleon's drivers, and they work fine until I tell it to use r_smp 1.

SMP doesn't work with q3 and a voodoo3 cause your using a opengl ICD for windows 9x so it has no SMP support.

Well what I thought was this:

1) there would be a considerable performance gain from a multithreaded GL driver, but none of the game cards have one

2) Carmack coded r_smp 1 in to use dual CPUs before the polys even got to the graphics card, making it a purely software thing.

I'll try to find more info through his plan files later today.

I have a V770 ultra, and the screen went grey when I tried r_smp 1 also. So I don't think it's isolated to V3's (even though I know thats the case with NT4) BTW I am using build 2128.

Just thought I'd mention that the same thing happens with my Monster II Voodoo2.

I believe Anandtech was able to run some CPU bench marks using SMP in Q3 WinNT4.0 www.anandtech.com

The drivers that I am using are NT4.0 OGL drivers, so they must be Multythreaded. Otherwise, My best guess is that Q3 SMP isn't working on WK2000 due to the OS & not the drivers, or perhaps because the NT4.0 drivers were not intended to be 100% compatible with WK2000 (multythreaded or not).

------------------

Racer Raul

NT Server Ops Admin

Intermedia Communications, Inc.

here's a snip:

1) How do you turn on SMP support in Q3Test?

Go to the console (type ~ to bring down the console) and type "r_smp 1". You will need to restart the game once you've made the change.

2) Which OS are you using for Q3 SMP? Why won't it work under Win98 / Win2K / Linux?

I'm using Windows NT 4.0 (SP5). The DamageBox II has two 504MHz Celeron 300As and a TNT2 card. I'm using the 2.08 Detonator TNT drivers.

To my knowledge, NT4 is the only OS under which Q3Test supports SMP properly. It ain't right yet in Win2K or Linux, and Win98 doesn't do multiprocessing. (The MacOS? Well, it doesn't even have a multitasking kernel or real protected memory space. Pfft.)

3) Why won't it work with my 3dfx card?

It won't work on mine, either. My Voodoo2 locks up when I run Q3 in SMP mode. I think it's a driver problem, and I believe it affects pretty much all the 3dfx cards the same.

4) Now for the really important question: how much does it help?

Time to bust out some timedemos! These are all run on the DamageBox II, with two 504MHz Celeron 300As, a TNT2 at 150MHz, NT4 SP5, and 256MB RAM. The scores are from Q3Test v.1.08, q3demo1. I ran the tests three times and averaged 'em. I used 32-bit textures in 32-bit color mode, and 16-bit textures in 16-bit color.

this is from www.hardocp.com, they did an entire smp in q3 a couple days ago.. check it out!

------------------

~ chameleon kyoshiro ~

http://win2kbox.8m.com

Has anyone found a way to make SMP work in Win2k for Quake 3? I was hoping that it would scream with Dual 600's and 256 Megs of ram... Voodoo 3 3500....But...