Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Binflow

quake 3 and win2k

The NT4 2.08 reference driver from www.nvidia.com also works; however:

1) I cannot find a way to adjust (increase) the gamma, so it is far too dark.

2) The game plays at 60Hz, and the "fix" available here (which replaces two ddraw DLLs ??) doesn't work.

3) The framerate sucks compared to Win98 on the same machine (e.g. 38fps compared to 57fps).

I cannot get SMP to work with q3test 1.08 either (get grey screen with busy icon). Other than that, I would still play under Win98....

------------------

Andy Duplain <andy@trojanco.demon.co.uk>

After tearing my hair out for a couple of days trying to get q3a to work with a tnt2 on win2k (build 2000), my findings are thus;

The nvidia NT5 'beta' drivers (based on the original tnt2 reference drivers) work the best. I also found that I get about 15fps better than win95 or 98. It does 'tear' a bit though, even though frame sync is on.

I have found no probs with smp.

1.get the latest drivers for your tnt from either assus or nvidia.

2. install the q3 test.

3. run it!

that worked for me.

ps. i get about the same fps as i did in w98

[This message has been edited by bigfitty (edited August 17, 1999).]

When running Q3test under Build 2072, I have the same problem running SMP--it hangs at the grey screen when loading. I am using a TNT2 with the NVIDIA 2.08 reference drivers.

I just installed Win2k Pro 5.00.2091 (build 2091) and I get the same results [grey screen when starting q3 in smp mode].

My setup is:

Abit BP6 / Dual celeron 366s

Creative Ultra TNT2

MX300

Is this confirmed to be a problem with Quake3? It does work in NT 4 no problem - But I can't find either USB support or PS2rate for NT4 so Nt4 wont do!

I have a tnt and i get better performance in win2k than in win98. I use the asus drivers. To bad there is no key in the registry to oc the card. I refuse to use powerstrip... But it works use the asus drivers everyone. Quake 3 and smp only work in winnt4 not in win2k Id software said it themselves. More work needs to be done..

As an update to my previous post in this thread I have it working well now. I use "r_ignorehwgamma 1" to get the gamma up and powerstrip to get it refreshing it at 100Hz, rather than 60Hz. I also use the LeadTek-supplied reference drivers (NVidia Win2000 build 2.0.0).

------------------

Andy Duplain <andy@trojanco.demon.co.uk>