Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oXide

The low down on dual proc

Hi,

I just set up a dual proc system consisting of 2 P2-450's...Now this doesnt mean that this system is essentially running at 900 mhz right? The way I see it, Its like horsepower and torque. This system has more "torque" than say a p3-900 system, but the 900 system has more HP....what this equivilent to in real computing terms, i dont know, but can someone help me understand, or at least, reassure me??

thanks

oXide's OMEGASUPREME{

supermicro p6-dbs

dual p2-450

640MB RAM

dual ata100 ide RAID (40gigs total)

};

Hello oXide

The way I understand it that duel prossessors

only help if you do a lot of multitasking, suffing and burning a CD at the same time.

Other wise their a compleat wast of money

They don't increase speed at all

Then again I could be wrong...God knows that's happend before.

Cheers

Or you do high-end 3D for a living...in which case it is an invaluable addition to your rendering habit.

:}

What would be better....my i815 board with a 700mhz p3 (clocked to 933), or this i440bx based board, running 2 p2-450's.....keep in mind i do absolutley nothing with these computers. load AOL and play quake every once in a while.

what kind of apps would run better on which system?

Depends on other factors besides the proc. But for only those tasks the P3-700 would be better. (I have no idea what parts both computers are using I am simply commenting on the processor side.)

Technically, with dual procs, the speed performance in Windows (not in games) is kind of disapointing. Your approximate total speed is 1cpu + 1/3rd of the second. Two 450's would mean you run at about 600. Thats approximate, and you won't see this in games. Games will seem like you are running at 450. If you did a bench between a singl 600 and two 450's the single would whomp on the duals. But, like someone mentioned earlier, multitasking is SO much easier with duals.

It's really a mixed bag. If you just want to run a single game, it won't make all that much difference, but Win2k will take advantage of it and should use one processor for the background processes (OS, ICQ, etc.) and devote the entire second CPU to the main task (the game). In terms of price/performance, it's generally not worth it for this type of use. For something like surfing & burning, I would recommend a burn-proof drive (I love my Plextor 16/10/40 burnproof much more than I should) over dual proc's. If, however, you're running something like Adobe Photoshop, 3D Studio MAX, or other CPU-intensive programs simultaneously, it can make a larger difference. If, like 3D Studio MAX, the program is multithreaded to take advantage of multiple processors, the speed increases can be enormous. I just ordered the second PIII 800EB for my dual processor VIA system, so I'll do a few before/after benchmarks and link the results if anyone's interested.

-Mike

I just set up a box recently using a dual CPU configuration. Funny thing is, there are hardly any apps optimized for dual CPU's. Just 3dMAX, photoshop, flask6, and SETI (these are things I use). But basically, it just crunches SETI numbers all day since SETI is multithreaded.

I didn't know that SETI was multi-threaded. Most ppl that run SETI on dual-proc systems just run two instances of it.

Strange,

-bZj

if u use programs like nuendo, cubase vst, samplitude 2496 or simular progz u can achieve more realtime-efx than with a faster prozessor,

all games with quake 3 engine support dual processors,

but only work with nvidia cards, because nvidia have the only

drivers meeting the smp specs,

u have to type in special settings

r_smp=1 it was, as i can remember

on voodoo or ati it will crash, though:(

don't know about kyro...

Hi...Whats the deal on these exon prosessors. What are they all about, and what can they do that the regular prossesors can't do.

For some reason they cost a lot more than the basic chip.

Thanksconfusedconfused