Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

Geforce 3

Normally I would run right out and get one, but buying one of these cards does not make any sense. Until Doom3 comes out which I heard is not multiplayer, (can anyone confirm this?) I think I’ll just stick with my GF2 Ultra card. Considering the card is just as fast as a regular Geforce 2, but it does have some new technology built in. Unless Counter-Strike is going to look better which it won’t, I just don’t see wasting your money. Also in 6 months we will see the Ultra version come out and by the end of the year Nvidia will have released or about to there next generation card. Not a good buy at this time.

Your thoughts?

wtf?!?! Doom III not multiplayer??! thats sh1tty, name a FPS these days that's not multiplayer. When's Doom III coming out?

-----

$600 for a GF3, not here i ain't paying over $200 for a graphics card, not when i get very decent performance out of my GF2MX.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 01 March 2001).]

There is absolutely no reason you cant get a decent video card for under $300. The first GF3s will cost an enormous $600, and they will probably go up(think about how much the GF3 Ultra will cost). The only piece of hardware that costs nearly the same is a new Pentium 4 1.5 GHz! You can buy a new computer at that price.

Long live 3Dfx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3DFX is dead.

The price will not go up, it will go down just like all the other Geforce models. The reason that the Geforce 3 costs the same as a P4 could be because it has more transistors than the P4 & has 64Mb of a specialized DDR memory. It costs more to produce than any Graphics card in the personal computer market. I bought a Geforce 1 w/ 32Mb DDR for $300 the week it came out. Now you can get a Geforce 2 MX 64Mb card for less than half that price. The cards will always go down from the initial price.

Oh, in case you didn't hear, 3DFX is dead. It was bought by Nvidia. The Voodoo 5 6000 will never see the light of day in a personal computer.

3dfx is dead nope there not dead there are still lot of new card out there but getting new drv now that a diff story but then again the drv are just fine the way they are.

> Voodoo 5 6000 will never see the light of day in a personal computer.

Wrong Wrong there a few board out there I have seen them.

qwerty01 don't count it Nvidia

Transistors count as nothing to do with it after all the idea of make a small die ".15" was help cut the cost not jack it up to the roof like Intel dose.

But then again the card is useless any way being it maybe 1 yrs before we see any games if not longer to make use of it and by that time there most like lee be a faster one or ever one 5x better now they have 3dfx core.

So what Brian was say is true long live 3dfx card.

I beat GF3 will not drop in cost for very long time 9-12 mouth with allnVidia still about the some cost.

I am not paying any video card over $300 for sure. I think my Geforce2 GTS can still hang for another year or so. Right now I don't really play any games other than Counter-Strike.

As for Doom III, I am going to be disappointed if they make it single player only.

3DFX is dead. Thanks to poor management, it is dead. Will the technology live on? Yes. As far as the expense of moving to a higher transistor count, that is correct. Somehow they have to cover the cost of the new fab equipment, plus the losses in the first runs on that equipment. The ROI is inflated to cover that expense, and the cost will stay inflated due to lack of competition. nVidia canned 3DFX. Long live capitalism.

In addition, Doom 3 not having an MP mode would suck. But I think I read somewhere that this was the case. And if you read it on a website, it must be true. wink.gif

------------------

Regards,

clutch

OK SHS, I know that was a joke.....right? I was laughing at your post until I stopped & thought that maybe you are serious. No, can't be.

Just in case:

>3dfx is dead nope there not dead there are still lot of new card out there

All 3DFX cards were pulled from the shelf. There are NONE, no more now, no more later.

>Wrong Wrong there a few board out there I have seen them

The Voodoo 5 6000 are only going to be OEM in a few workstations. It will never hit the open market.

>Transistors count as nothing to do with it after all the idea of make a small die ".15" was help cut the cost not jack it up to the roof like Intel dose

Kinda had to decipher this, but I think you are saying that just because of new die size & new technology, they shouldn't jack up the price. See clutches post.

>But then again the card is useless any way being it maybe 1 yrs before we see any games if not longer to make use of it and by that time there most like lee be a faster one or ever one 5x better now they have 3dfx core.

OK, you can sit there & say that it will be more than one year before we see any games make use of the card. How can you say that with a straight face? How about 3DFX's "revolutionary" BLUR TECHNOLOGY??? Did you notice that when 3DFX died that game-developers didn't seem to panic & change their games to fit Nvidia because their games were built around the Voodoo series cards?? There is a reason, all the new games didn't use ANY of the technology that 3DFX said were going to "revolutionize" games. Game developers saw that Nvidia was the future, saw what a bad decision it was to put out a card that directly competed with an Nvidia card that was 2 revolutions of the card older than was available at the time the Voodoo 5 6000 was going to be introduced. I can see the conversations that people would have had if the Voodoo 5 6000 hit the shelves. "Hey my Voodoo 5 6000 beats the **** out of your Geforce card" "Oh, that's OK, I got a Geforce 2 Ultra now, it is 2X faster than your card & it doesn't need its own power supply!!"

Like I said, I know that you were kidding, but if you weren't......wow, that's all I can say.

[This message has been edited by qwerty01 (edited 02 March 2001).]

I hear you clutch but some how I got funny felling there more to this then meet the eyes you know what I mean.

What new fab equipment last time I check there don't make the chip dose this ring a bell United Microelectronics Corp. (UMC) that here the nVidia chipset are made at & so was the 3dfx chipset.

For now that maybe ture about DoomIII but you all have to take in to count that stiil 1yrs to 1 1/2yrs alway from a final released

so who know.

qwerty01 you want make a beat on it on weather not we see any of 3dfx technology in the next nvidia chipset ?.

Piss read this

http://www.glideunderground.com/#10955

Ops some body let the cat out of bag hehe.

Belive me boy & girls the Geforce 3 will not drop in price for very long time, Unless ATI can pull a fast one out of hat hehe.

> All 3DFX cards were pulled from the shelf. There are NONE, no more now, no more later.

You make make beat on it ?.

Piss Walmart, BestBuy shell I go on ?.

That ture It will never hit the open market as Retail card.

As for Blur Technology yes it sad.

> game-developers didn't seem to panic & change their games to fit nvidia.

You know that funny you said that being 80% of the game out there are build a round DX & not build a round nvidia last time I check.

2x fast at what 3DMark2000 damm that a nice game last time I check you can't play it so that is point less.

I don't remember saying that Nvidia will not put 3DFX's technology in their future processors. I know it for a fact because I have read up on it as I don't think you have.

Nvidia is working closely with Microsoft on Direct X8. Hell, there is an Nvidia graphics card IN THE X-BOX!!

As for ATI bringing out a graphics card that will compete with Nvidia, I hope they do. I firmly believe in direct competition between companies to further push technology to its limits.

I read several interviews with core Nvidia people that said that since they do not plan to service the Voodoo cards that they are not to build any Voodoo cards & that most if not all Voodoo cards will be taken from the shelves since their is no one to continue to support the cards. 3DFX stopped support in February.

3DMark 2000?? Try GIANTS, or any other game that supports hardware T&L.

This is from the glideunderground.com:

One of the things that many of you already know about is the fact that DX8 and the GeForce3 were essentially made for each other. That means that they are a great match and the DX8 supports all the extensions of the GeForce3, which is good to know. They have also created OpenGL extensions which is a plus.

It seems that the Geforce 3 will have more support from Microsoft than any other graphics card.

I like ATI so I won't tell you about all the horror stories I have heard about the ATI drivers being utter crap.

3dfx still exists, but just barely. Nvidia bought out their "core assets" so in otherwords, 3dfx is there but all its patents, trademarks, etc. are nVidia's property.

Well qwerty01 I won't tell you about all the horror stories from good old day's win ATI frist come out hehehe I'am talk about good old Win3.0 day's.

I have seen HUGE threads on other boards just about ATI & their lack of drivers for Win2k, and their lack of support for some chipsets.

Nvidia has new drivers every couple of months.

Just to let you know, I was a really big supporter of 3DFX for quite a while. I had 2 Voodoo 2's in an SLI config. I just know when something is dead, you don't keep feeding & watering it. You bury it & move on to things that are still alive.

Last Officially supported drivers from ATI were September, Beta drivers 1 week ago + new Multimedia Suite V7.1. Nvidia aren't much better with "official" drivers, how many leaked beta drivers have there been 30? 40+? Yet they're only on Detonator 3! ATI's radeon drivers when from version 3063 to 7072 with no leaks, plus they have to provide Tech support and International languauge support in the drivers. Nvidia do none of this.

With Winmark2001 it says the radeon doesn't support PixelShaders, Yet the DX8SDK demos work perfectly, it a conspiracy, I tell u! Overall the drivers aren't that bad. It just isn't too good at doing geforce optimised code, look at many of the Tranzmit demos.

ATI cards run well, yet that have a poor track record for OpenGL drivers. The Rage Pro was supposed to have it, then the Pro128, and so on. The Radeon has a lot going for it. It's a cheap card with great 2D and DVD capabilities. I am sure that ATI is trying to get their act together, but they have pretty much canned support for their older units as far as optimizations go. NVidia does allow for more up-to-date drivers on their older chipsets than ATI does, and I have had better luck with low-end CAD/CAM support out of the box with the NVidia line (Riva 128 and up) versus the ATI cards (Mach/Rage Pro and up).

If you are going on history, NVidia has a much stronger history for support than ATI does. I am hoping ATI can get it together though, as I would really rather have another All-in-wonder unit for my PC vs a 2D/3D only card.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I tested out a Radeon 32MB DDR AGP card, and Im not really too impressed...especially considering all my games are screwed up now.

I guess I'll wait till I get an Elsa Gladiac MX or the Hercules 3d Prophet MX and just do a clean install. The 3dfx cards seem to leave some mysterious force that curses your system if you put in another card.

I like 3dfx cards, but Id also like to have a card with continued support.

I will not give up an arm and a leg for any pc component above $300, and I have yet to spend that much on a single piece of equipment. I have been very impressed with the MX, a $100-$150 card that is cheap. Ive pretty much decided that 32-bit color is nice, but I dont see the need for it, nor have anything yet that requires 32-bit color to run well.

If I was doing CAD, that would be a different story, but Im not, so spend $600 for one PCB is really hard to justify here.

nVidia seems to have the best of what I want, and Ive used the Riva 128 8MB AGP and that worked really good. Somehow, nothing against ATI, nVidia seems to be the best choice now, concerning the numerous options for their cards. ATI does have one thing down though: the best damn graphics including smooth DVD playback.

Yeah, although I had to get nVidia's drivers to fix a crashing problem in Descent 3. I got it for $100, and that's what sold me. That and the fact that Best Buy actually had some video cards in stock. Running 10.80 drivers really runs good, along with ol' Powerstrip. Hehehe.

The drivers seem to be getting faster as they progress up.

ATI has the best DVD playback, but its gonna take a lot more than that to get me to buy another ATI card.

Hopefully the Radeon Maxx will have the Win2k drivers that run really good, otherwise nVidia will have a monopoly on the market. You think the GF3 is expensive now, just wait until the next chip comes out if ATI doesnt pick up the pace.

I do see what I was missing.

4474 in 3dmark.

The ol' Voodoo 4 could barely crack 3000.

Now that nVidia's got 3dfx technology, I hope they put it to good use, think of how sweet the card with both technologies would be.