Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
itsjustin

Voodoo5 Vs. Geforce2 Ultra

I'm going to be getting a job soon, and i plan on trying to turn my computer into a massive gaming computer, but i'm stuck on what video card i should get, i've had experience with voodoo cards and there preformance has been quite pleasing, so i've been heading towards Voodoo5 AGP, but i've also head from friends that the Geforce2 Ultra outpreforms the Voodoo5 in a wide range of fields, your guy's advice would be appreciated

Go for the GeForce.

My GeForce256DDR outperforms the Voodoo5 5500 across the hall in everything but FSAA, when our computers are clocked the same and RAM is the same

According to 3dfx though the FSAA makes games "smoother and more realistic"

btw the card u have now, is it better then the geforce2 ultra or is it the same card, i've more so been following 3dfx because i've havn't seen as many problems with there cards, so i don't know too much about geforce

Me? Mine's the original GeForce(1) DDR 32

It's worse than a GTS and Ultra, but better than an MX

An MX can beat a V5 in some benchmarks...and apparently, that's where my Card is beating my friend's V5.

Either way, you're not getting a Radeon, so you'll be happy.

ATI can't screw you with drivers if you don't have them...and Nvidia puts out so many new ones so quickly, if you don't mind having to reinstall drivers every other week, you have a much wider array of driver choices(from 3.18(my original) to 6.47

Trust me, you would want the FSAA, beleive me, it will make your games look much more better. Who cares about the T&L feature that isn't in the card right now. I heard that when you have a P3 system or higher, the software T&L is actually faster than the video card's T&L feature. The most useful feature that you can have on your video card is the FSAA, it will make your game look much more better. Besides FSAA is the most CPU intensive thing to do. It is better to offloaded it to the video.

---

Want to get paid while using your computer? Then visit: http://okpayme.cjb.net

the voodoo cards are unfortunately not in the same league as the geforce/geforce2, so a comparison would be a little unfair.

The geforce(2) will run all your games extremely well, and will also run next year's games pretty well too.

Benchmarks run on current games don't mean much if you expect to be using the hardware you buy today for games in the future. What matters more is features like the geforce's geometry processor and multitexture effects. Sure, FSAA makes all your old games look better.. but without support for the stuff the geforce does (like hardware T&L, pixel shaders, stencil buffering, advanced multitexturing), you'll find that you'll either have to disable effects, or lower the gfx quality in order to play the games coming over christmas and next year at all.

errr.... since when did the Geforces stop having FSAA? i thought they were the first Nvidia cards with it...

get a Geforce2. the MX even outperforms the Voodoo5 in a lot of things, and it's a hundred bucks cheaper. 3dfx is going down the crapper. i wouldn't buy one of their cards if i was u.

The Voodoo5 is twice that of a Voodoo4. The voodoo4 is a FAILURE because the MX outperforms it by a LARGE margin.

The Voodoo 6000 is twice that of a Voodoo5.

There's not really innovation being made between Voodoos...just more processors hooked up in SLI(on the same card)

the GeForce chip is MUCH superior to the Voodoo chip.

And that's the simple truth.

The GF out-performs the V5 card, but you know what? I like the visuals of the V5 much better than those of the GF.

If I were doing mostly online gaming, I'd go with the GF for raw performance. If I was doing mostly single-player, I'd want the purty pictures the V5 offers.

If I wanted to be able to do both, I'd install both cards and do dual monitor display. You CAN switch which display is your primary monitor. laugh

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat; you talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 07 November 2000).]

INFERNO2000 Geforces is not superior to Voodoo5 5500 sure the Geforces is fast on benchmarks but have you ever try playing 3DMark2000 ? hehe, The Geforces has major problem 2D belive it suck hell even ATI run better in 2D Mode then the Geforces dose.

Win I go to Lan Party ever stand over monitor say WoW I say that Voodoo5 5500 runing 640x480x16 4xFSAA enable hehe.

Here a hint INFERNO2000 Rampage.

I love that last part DeadCats

yeah, I know how 3dmark2000 does.

I BEAT THE VOOODOO5!

He scored a 2800, I scored a 4300.

For 2 machines with 256MB RAM, and running at 900mhz.

The reason our scores are so low, is Windows2000.

The superiority is chip for chip.

1 chip on the ultra, outperforming 4 chips on the 6000.

As for cards, yeah, the Voodoo5 gives a MUCH better picture with FSAA enabled...and if that's your thing, nothing is better than the Voodoos.

However, I saw the Voodoo5 CHOKING on the tunnel part of 3dmark2000...whereas I choked on the spinning ring thing.

If you want 2d, go for the G400.

If you want a reasonably sized card :P that is tops in pure ower and performance, go for a GeForce

If you want a HUGE card that is tops in FSAA,

go for a Voodoo

If you want driver problems and general hastle, go for anything ATI

My scored is 4339

CHOKING on the tunnel part Hmm that has to be 64MB test yes that ture so the card only come 32meg each chip that would a diff story if it had 64MB each chip

My V5 does the tunnel tests just fine. I know that it didn't do so well when I had only 128 meg RAM but now it does just fine since I upgraded to 256 meg.

Ed

err... the V5 6000 is like 150 dollars more than the geforce. plus u gotta add in the cost of the nuclear reactor u need to power it, and the special 4 foot long case u gotta buy so it will fit in there.

Inferno- guess what. i beat that voodoo5 too. that guy is an idiot if he is only getting 2400 or whatever. i get about 3200 and i have a TNT2Ultra, and T-bird 800, and only 128 megs pc-100. hehehe....

trust me, you wan't a geforce2. unless of course, you don't like opengl, updated drivers, and ur going to be doing alot with photoshop or something. in the case of 2d buy a g400.

hehehe i got dreamcast up there somehow. wtf was i thinkin? hehe. o well.

[This message has been edited by tristan777 (edited 08 November 2000).]

go for the geforce - it MUCH better:

1. Faster than ANY 3dfx card

2. Who needs FSAA when u can simply turn up the res

3. 3dfx's support sucks

4. Nvidia's doesn't

5. They are far better under win2k

and well if i find more ill post more!

Why On earth is this still an issue. I bought a voodoo 5 awhile ago, it blew dick. I could not get respectable frame rates at 1280x1024 in quake 3 with an athlon 650, 128 ram. Pathetic. I took it back and got the Creative GF 2 annilhator pro. I overclocked it and whamo hello here I am running at 1600x1200. As far as I know I'd rather run at 1600 rez than have fsa at 800x600. (barf)

-Super

i have a voodoo5 5500agp and am extremely pleased with my purchase. FSAA is great, no its not as fast as a geforceDDR or GTS2, IN SOME GAMES, but its still bloody fast.

to the person who said they would prefer 1600x1200 over FSAA at lower res, i think not. FSAA is just such a ****ing nice feature. if you don't have it or haven't played on a machine with it you can't really say anyting about it, becuase its whens its turned on you don't really notice it the games just runs along luvly, its when you turn it off you notice it ARGH please turn it back on, NOW!!

If you want brute speed in all games go for the GTS or ULTRA for stupidly fast gaming. If you want luvly graphics quality, stable, fast games go for the voodoo5 5500. It may not last you as long as the GTS2 but hey, i'd still go for it its that sweet.

(by the way, if anyone comes up and says yeah the geforce can do FSAA aswel, yes it can but the geforce on its highest level of FSAA isn't as good as the voodoos 2xFSAA. you just can't compare the 2, its like trying to perform a unbiased benchmark using quake3 and 3dmark 2000, it ain't going to happen)

Anyway, spend some time reading/listen/learning and decide for yourself what cards better suits your needs.

i know a guy with 2 boxes one has a GF2 ultra the other has a V5, he likes the GF2 ultra more because of its openGL performance and better frame rates. I personally like the FSAA on my Geforce 2 MX and i havent seen image quality this good at all. So people that say FSAA doesnt make a diff are dead ass wrong.

I was just saying that running at higher resolution does basically the same thing as fsaa. Colors look better at high resolutions, at least they do to me. I bet 5$ that says I get better frame rates with my Gf2 gts, AND I bet it looks just as good as you oversized waste of silicon voodoo 5. Hmm Two 3dfx chips = 800x600 rez (still see jaggies)

One Nvdia chip = 1600x1200/2058x1536 ( think) and no jaggies. Plus better framerate. I think all you 3dfx lovers are just trying to defend the fact that your personal ignorance and idiocy forced you to buy a 3dfx card. Now you are stuck with it. Sucks to be you.

hm......................

WHy is this an argument?

------------------

System Specs:

MSI 694D Pro-A Mobo

Dual Gighz pentium III's

320 meg pc 133 sdram

30 Gig Maxtor Ata-100

Geforce 2 GTS

DVD w/ Decoder Card

Sblive etc etc...

just up the res and so FSAA doesn't matter. i think not, even if you put the to 1600X1200 1024X768@4xFSAA, looks a hell of alot better, think i would even prefer 1024x768@2xFSAA. do be honest i play most games in 2xFSAA and not 4xFSAA, although 4x would make the image loads nicer, because it does it 4x and also because it does it using a different method at 4x i believe, but the fps impact in alot of games is just abit to much. i mean, in win2k 1024x768@2xFSAA with 16bit colour, 32bit texture quality, everything else on full. 52fps on demo1 is very playable and looks very very nice. not the fastest in the world but looks a hell of alot better than any other card. Also 1024x768@4xFSAA in motorcross madness2, oooooh thats just so sweet. i can push it up to 1280x1024 but thats down to about 20fps, although i wouldn't know if i didn't have the indicator on becuase it runs smooth as a babies bottom.

(sorry for going on abit)

I'll put my two cents into this one.

No contest Geforce 1 or 2 ,Ultra or non kicks anything 3fdx has put out ...right in the ass. If you wanna play your Direct 3D games in 640 x 480 with 4X FSAA then buy a 3dfx product. You wanna jack up all the settings at any res and still be smooth..buy an Nvidia product..

Last good card 3dfx made was a Voodoo2

I have 3 machines ...needless to say my third has a voodoo in it. the one i least use

[This message has been edited by sapiens26 (edited 12 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by sapiens26 (edited 12 November 2000).]

Dude don't listen to anyone here.

Go for the ****ing geforce 2 GTs..

hands down

The Leadtek Winfast Geforce 2 GTS is the best for the price, but there are 64mb DDR ram versions out (AWESOME!)

I recently turned on FSAA on my GF2 Ultra whilst playing HalfLife in OpenGL. At the max res (1152 x ? IIRC) there were quite a few jaggies along the tops of walls.

I turned on max FSAA, the jaggies vanished, and there is no visible hit in performance.

------------------

PIII 800EB FC-PGA

Intel D815EEA Motherboard

Intel® PRO/100 Integrated NIC

2x256MB PC 100 RAM

Maxtor 92049U6 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Maxtor 52049U4 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra 64MB

AOpen 52x IDE CD-ROM

Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB

Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro

US Robotics Sportster Flash v90 External modem

Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17

Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide SCSI controller

Sound Blaster Live! Value (LiveWare 3)

Windows 2000 Professional (SP1 + all updates)