Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
~Aragorn~

OLD PC's

ok a few stupid questions:

Does win2k Pro support 486 cpu's or is it Pentium only?

Will win2k SERVER run on 64meg ram + 233 cpu

Whats the smallest ran anyone has run win2k Pro on?

Aragorn

er............guess what I have??!!

yup a PII 233!

and 64MB Ram!!

and guess what I;m running?!???!

yup - w2k advsvr!

confused??? yup me tooo!!!

MS's page [http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/upgrade/upgradereqs/default.asp]gives the req.s:

133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.

64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum; more memory generally improves responsiveness [4 gigabytes (GB) RAM maximum.]

2 GB hard disk with a minimum of 650 MB of free space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if you are installing over a network.)

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 21 October 2000).]

congrats on getting the server to run but i think it won't be as fast as running with 98 with that kind of speed and 64MB is the absolute minimum if running win2k server but soon 64 will just not be enough

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

2000 will run on a 486. 2000 Server can run on less than 32m of ram. I don't recommend it....but it can.

Well, I once installed W2k Pro in and old Pentium 166 Mhz non MMX with 48 MB RAM and 1GB Hard disk.

It was a painfull experience. Too slow, and it crashed a lot (IRQ_NOT_LESS_NOR_EQUAL). It was strange, since win2000 worked fine in my computer.

NT kernel eats a lot of resources, so I wouldn't install it under 200 Mhz and 128 MB ram.

I have 2K Server running on my P200 with 64 megs of ram. Damn slow, but it runs.

So, I've got a 486/66MHz with 40MB of RAM, thnk I could get Win2K Pro running on it?

Maybe I found my project for the weekend...

-bZj

I encourage all to waste a whole night (having fun and BSOD's), installing win2k on a 486. I tried it with my AMD 486 120Mhz 64 MB (I originally attempted it with 16mb <:-) ), and it was a nightmare! The first part of setup took about 2 hours, which only suceeded after the 3rd attempt. The extra memory makes a vast difference. Still it was "educational" I have a bog standard 486 (33Mhz) and an orginal IBM PS2/55 with 80MB propriatory HD, so definately no more experimenting. I'm very adimant that pentium (i meant 586 like cyrix/amd) @ 300 with min 64 MB mem. I've never had a PII, but comparing the performance of my past Cyrix 166+, and K6-2's at 300, 450 and 550, a PII @ 233 is good competition, even for the k6-2's (and thats coming from an AMD lover!).

<Caution> Do not attempt installation on 486, unless already bald. Otherwise extreme self-inflicted hair-loss may occur. </caution>

I forgot to say: it never worked!

------------------

System Spec:

Athlon 800

Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4

128Mb SSi PC100

Radeon 64Mb DDR (oem and proud of it)

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)

Creative ES1371 PCI64v smile

Creative SBlive Value frown

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW/CD, 4,6,4,24)

Segate SS330630A 30Gb 7200 ATA4

LS120

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 22 October 2000).]

Well, I have windows 2000 running on a 386 with 256Kb of RAM and i installed it with 624 floopies and it took 72 hours but its worth it cos now its even slower than it could be.

oh and i quote:

"it won't be as fast as running with 98"

-remember mods its a quote not a statement of my opinion so dont ban me (again).

[This message has been edited by DavidNewbould (edited 23 October 2000).]

Ah ha ha ha ah ha ha

(how do you convey extreme hilarious laughter and snickering with a slight hint of my god is this guy a vvanker or what. I guess he is really 13 years old and just had one of those immature accidents where a complete fabrication and extreme exageration gets let out.)

Did I say that I had windows 2K (the stripped down X-box version) installed on my 8040 with 4K ram? Runs like a dream... X-box 3D demos are really smooth too with my ISA ATI RADEONII 64MB DDR (AGP 8X (SSb enabled))... Do think I could run it on my Apple colour classic? Its at least 16Mhz

I'd struggle to even find ~60 disks to install win95 on my IBM PS2, even still it wouldn't fit on the 80MB HD. And I don't have all day to backup the HD over serial (cos its not IDE)

When I melted my K6-2 550, I tried swapping the boards, and thats about as far as i'd go. My 486 was at least PCI/ISA with dual simms, ran parallel to 586's for a while. You've gone to far boy.