Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

Force win2k install on PC 20MB RAM

Seriously???????????

You do know Win2K uses almost 50MB of ram at boot? Some of this can be paged out, but with 20MB you would likely kill your hard disk in a short amount of time.

Advice: buy a lot more memory.

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 05 October 2000).]

You can force it but there is no point with that amount of ram. Get AT LEAST 32m to get 2000 up and running. Get 64m to actually use it.

Windows 2000 itself uses around 50m of ram.

The processor is fine BUT GET MORE RAM. That motherboard should support a max of 64m.

Well, how do I force it then, just for fun?

I guess I can get my grubby little rat-claws on more ram but not yet. The PC is right now equipped with win95 and connected to my PC and to my brothers PC and it would be fun to have a real stable OS on it :o)

Ok more ram I have a 16MB chip and a 4MB chip, Ill ask my friend see if I can have his RAM from his old 486 (he just got a new PC)

yes yes me too smile

oh it has 20 mb not 8

so how do I do it? how do I force it install? I tried setup /? to see what options where there but nothing to force it install confused

GET MORE MEMORY. Why bother telling ya when your just going to stick more ram into it anyway and if you don't you sure as heck won't be using that computer with 20m of ram. mad

Open the txtsetup.sif file and edit the RequiredMemory line to whatever value you wish. I hope that's correct. Been awhile since I did it. Have fun.

Hmmm...

You guys are making me feel nostalgic. I may have to go set up the old 486/33 (or 66, with either 4 or 8MB RAM, can't remember which) and NEC 13" MultiSync monitor, with Win 3.11 and DooM.

Jeeze, makes me wish I hadn't given away my old IBM 55sx with GeoWorks OS.

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 07 October 2000).]

think I'm gonna cry...

i still have 5 or so 286 M/B downstairs in a box... I think I'm gonna play monkey island in 4 colors again, like real soon.... damn where did I put the floppies???

LOL LOL LOL Please STOP or I Blow Gasket hehe.

Get more money and at least a P-133 or faster. Win2k simply will not function with less than 64M ram. If by some divine intervention, you forced it to install, it would probably fail to load, or you wouldn't even be able to load Windows Explorer. I had win98 installed on a machine with 16 megs ram, and removed 2 of the 4 meg simms. Win98 gave a black screen error message, saying there wasn't enough memory to load the kernel. So stop being cheap, and find a better rig.

Windows 2000 can't run on a 486 no matter the RAM u have, it's for Pentium and higher systems

Al right thanks for the directions DosFreak, I'm now installing it.

Its a 486 with an P75 overdrive, so I guess it IS a pentium yhen. Ok well I wonder how far Ill get hehe a friend of mine has a lot of old ram Ill see what i can get done

it is for a little Roger Wilco server you see, so me and my brother can talk to each other when we play Starcraft and such

it took 3 hours to install, but its actually up and running!

taskmanager.gif

I have two HDs, one 2GB and one 405MB, I put a 120 MB swap file on the 405MB harddisk and I got much less HD activity.

Well, it boots, and I can run VNC (cute little remote desktop control program) and Roger Wilco server, so the project was a success!

Thanks for the help, DOS Freak!

[This message has been edited by Gambler FEX online (edited 10 October 2000).]

Yep, It's all about the RAM babee. Disable some services and you should be able to lower that amount. 2000 doesn't care about the processor. 486 is a minimum.

*It only took 3hrs to install because of your slow cdrom. Don't use 4x or 6x cdroms. Stick a 20x in there and install time will decrease to around an hour.

Congrats! I didn't know u had Pentium overdrive (otherwise it wouldn't work), ur PC is a hero standing against the sensless processor race that makes a PC obsolete as soon as you buy it *snif* wink

Thanks sandvic yes it felt good seeing the log-on screen after 3hours of install and 1 hours boot (ok not that long but it seemed that long)

nono DosFreak I have no CD-ROM in that computer, I had all the installation files copied over LAN and on the HD and then installed from DOS. What took so timeis detecting hardware and setting up services and com+ and netwrork and all that stuff. It just stood there also one time for half an hour but fortunately for me I waited instead of reboot andit actually continued

when I get ADSL this little win2k system will be a fserve server or something

Yes Ill head over to ars technica and check their service disable walkthrough!

ok you do that, but be patient it may just sit there for even two hours (and not respond) but it is just thinking. I had overdrive on my 486 and it sat there for maybe an hour just waiting.

it was in the beginning on the startup

let us know how it goes.

Get about 256 MB of RAM and you could run just about anything with no problem. The more the memory the better off you are. The memory usage under Linux is similar to 2000 from what I understand (thanks to the X window system).