Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andersony

All Hail ASUS

Asus is my bud for awhile...

I had a TNT2 Ultra using 5.22 drivers. Things worked good for the most part, a couple of answered reboots a month.

Then I went to an Asus 6800 (GF DDR), using the Nvidia reference drivers, 5.x's. My system would pull answered reboots every day. When I went to Asus's own 3.79 drivers, my problems ended. In fact, I was able to run 3.5 months without a single unanswered reboot.

And then, I tried a Creative Labs GeForce2. This time I was getting unanswered reboots every 10 minutes. I used Nvidia's 5.x, 6.x (det. 3) drivers, along with Creative's own set... NO JOY ! REboot City !

I returned the CLGF2 and traded it for a Prophet II GTS 32MB (GF2 also). Same results.

So, I started reading about everone else's misfortunes. Hopeing to find a solution. I read things like the AGP port may not be giving the card enough power, to some of your basic tweeks and settings (4x,2x,1x - sidebanding, BIOS settings, etc., manually pulling out all the drivers and registry settings.) that have worked for others with the same problem. I was just about to give up, when I noticed if I left the card running as VGA, my system would run and run and run....

So, I downloaded Asus's 3.79 drivers from their web site (even though, they are for a GF DDR) and installed them through device manager, ignoring the 'not written for your card' warnings.... and I'm back and running solid (at least for a week - with no reboots). Performance wise, I play GP500 a lot and benchmarked this current setup vs. the det 3 drivers (before the system would get a crash in), and actually gained .5 fps (heh)... Praise ASUS's driver team !!!

I was thinking about going to their 7700 drivers (their GF2), but I just want to run solid for awhile before I take the chance.

Anybody have any comments... solutions? I have of course lost my S-Video. So if there is a better way, I may give it a shot.

-Andersony

Herc. Prophet IIGTS

P3 600 (not overclocked for troubleshooting)

Abit VT6x4

256MB SDRAM PC133

NIC

Yamaha USB speakers (no sound card)

Courier ext. modem

Win2kSP1

Note that ASUS drivers are just nvidia reference drivers with some added stuff to support the unique features of your card (if any).

The reason the 3.79 version works fine on your machine is that almost nothing advanced is enabled in those drivers (for example, AGP).

So, I am glad your machine is stable, but be aware that there remain something seriously wrong with your system (AGP?) if you are unable to run the newer driver sets. The Detonator3 drivers in particular rule if you have a geforce card.

Best of luck!

:}

I have never had any problems using nvidia's reference drivers 5.xx to the latest 6.18s, which are perfectly stable for me.

Greggy

Dual PIII 733, MSI 694D, 256Mb PC133, Leadtek 32Mb GeForce2 GTS, 20Gb Seagate Baracuda II IDE, Intel 10/100 nic, Win 2000 SP1 etc etc

AGP isn't enabled? ... I checked dxdiag, which showed AGP as ENABLED. Is that what your talking about, or just in the actual driver itself ?

Again, note that I compared these drivers to the det. 3 drivers and received the same performance.

Help me see the light brothaaa ... wink

-Andersony

Also, I've noticed that most of the problems like mine are with 2k and Via chipsets ... can anyone back this up ?

The Asus drivers for the 7700 don't work ... they load ok, but the desktop will crash and reload, winamp gets all garbled, etc... Not that I was expecting much frown

Tried the Asus 3.84 drivers, but they didn't support AGP, nor did they support driectdraw..

Still, the Asus 3.79 drivers work like a charm. I just don't have use of my S-Video port.. I figure I'll have to have Herc drivers for that, and Herc's 3.78 drivers don't support them either.

-Andersony

[This message has been edited by Andersony (edited 19 August 2000).]