Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

Windows 2000 Service Pack 1

Just downloaded W2K service pack 1 from the MDSN site (you must be a member) so thought I would post a message before I upgrade. The download was 190 megs but not problem on a T-1

Well I'll be back if everything goes well and post an update.

Well everything went ok, all my software,games and hardware is working fine.

The only drivers that I had to reload where the W2K SB Live drivers. Don't really know what all was fixed other than to say that after uncompressing the archive it became 413 megs. The whole OS must have been replaced. Wish everyone had the chance to download the SP but only the chosen few get the pleasure.

I have MSDN access i havent downloaded the SP1beta but i downloaded win2kpro from MSDN. 413mb thats the whole I386 folder? can you do a freash install straight from the SP? Im gonna wait for SP1a (cause the first offical SP always has bugs) then do a reinstall of win2k.

The download is just an upgrade. You can't do a full install.

I have not had any problems since ugrading. In fact things seem to be running a little better.

That don't sound too bad, but do any of you know if this service pack fixes the famous dual-head problem with matrox G400 graphics cards?

There has been one a too many angry customers because of this smile

190mb!!

how are people with normal 56k connections meant to download that when its released?

people with 56k modems arent supposed to be useing win2k. You should use win9x.

Rocko, this is how arguements start.....

I have a 56k modem, and there is no way that I'm going to let it delegate what OS I'm going to run. That notion is just silly.

argue with MS they are the people who say that. win2k is a big business OS not for poor people on 56k modems.

I live in a remote area of Northern Ontario. A lot of business owners including myself have upgraded to Win2k technology because it is superior to other networking/apps/games OS's.

Because we are remote, no major providers will supply broadband internet technology because of the costs involved. We have to live with 56k for at least another year or two. That doesn't make us either poor or ignorant, just stuck with low grade internet technology. You ever hear of Placer Dome or Weyerhauser?

Man don't even feed this guy. Just read what he said. I think that says it all.

"He who guards his mouth preserves his life, But he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction."

well you are ignorant because MS makes everything avaliable on CD you have to order it. think you can handle that?

ha ha ha... this forum really makes me laugh...

But fret not little worried ones. I'm sure that once M$ officially release SR1 for Windoze 2000 it will be on the cover (CD-ROM) of every computer magazine worth reading, probably for about 5 bucks!

Greggy

PIII 550E @ 733(133), Abit BF6, 256Mb RAM, CL GeForce SDR (5.16 Dets), MX300, WD 13Gb IDE, Intel 10/100 NIC, Win 2000 Pro with all Pre SP1's installed...

AND IT GOES LIKE A F'ING GOD!!!!

I sent this as a correction to ZDNet, but it made sense here since the misinformation was the same...

The actual Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 patch is 61.6MB; the download from MSDN contains more than two duplicate copies of the patch. It has the re-distributable 61MB patch; it also has a full copy of all the files contained within the 61MB patch in uncompressed form, as well as the debug symbols and a couple miscellaneous tools that are optional installs.

The download from MSDN is a complete image of the Service Pack 1 CD that will eventually be mailed to those who order it.

The web-downloadable version of SP1 will come in two flavors. "Express Install" which will only update the files you need, which should be around 20-30MB, and "Full Install" which are all the fixed files (the aforementioned 61MB).

For anybody that frequents MSDN, you should know that MSDN only posts CD images. They do not offer "web friendly" downloads for consumers. Developers need the complete code and usually utilize very high-speed Internet connections (i.e. my download of the 190MB SP1 took <15 minutes).

I was looking through the system requirements of Windows 2000 ... I can't seem to find the part that says you must be Rich and have a T1 or OC-3 ?

I did read the readme.txt file in the WINNT subdirectory that listed a bunch of people that MS considers "TOOLS" and these people arent allowed to have the operating system. They have reference to these "tools" as calling in before saying that the coffe tray retracted or some dip$hit thing like that ... and what do ya know - Rocko is on list!

So turn in your copy Rocko ... MS says SO !

It's funny, I post a thread about upgrading to SP1 and people like "rocko" have to get everyone pissed off.

I did say that is was a heafty 190 megs and that you have to be a memeber of the MSDN to download it and that I have a T-1 (at work) but that is just because I'm lucky. Like I said this thread was created so that other people who where lucky enough to download it could post there comments on it. Oh and people with 56k modems still exist and will for sometime untill the phone and cable company's get off there ass and upgrade there networks so that people like me who have ISDN at home can get DSL or cable. So rocko give people a break.

Update: Have not had any problems since upgrading to SP1. If I was not afraid of getting busted I would post SP1 on my FTP server, but that would be real stupid and piss of Bill off.

Bills got enough on his plate, what with the DOJ, i'm sure he won't mind you posting SP1 on your FTP server... however, his lawyers might, but if microsoft can argue its okay for them to break the law... i don't see why you can't bend it a little...

maybe...

not that i endorse... anything.

Archey

I wouldn't recommend posting SP1. Not for legal reasons, but it *is* a beta, and for the most part, it fixes problems with server components.

The typical Win2K Pro user will minimally benefit from the service pack. I would just wait the extra few weeks for the final version. Especially for those of you on a 56K modem. It just isn't worth it.

I was wondering since you have installed the service pack, does it add anything new to windows? I know microsoft said they wouldnt add any new features with service packs, but id be interested to know if anything is new or changed, i did read somewhere that the service pack would change the taskbar to use flat buttons, this wasnt a very reliable source though so im doubtfull about that.

I installed the SP1 beta update, but had problems with TCP/IP. I could connect to my ISP, but could not receive any data. So, I was forced to uninstall it and had no problems with TCP/IP after the uninstall.

I have not noticed anything new, and it seems to make my system run a little better, could all be in my head.

NO! I would not post the service pack on my FTP server, I think everyone can wait.

It was a thought though.

Flat buttons?

I would love to have flat buttons on the taskbar. I saw this first at a beta of Whistler, it is very nice, and much cleaner.

not just cleaner for the taskbar, but actually for the whole desktop. At least I think so!

Here is a screenshot of flat buttons (with fading):

http://home.c2i.net/aka_mecha/2223_0019.gif

[This message has been edited by Gambler FEX online (edited 17 May 2000).]