Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ags

W2k shutdown doesn't power down

I have an ATX motherboard and case. Under Win 98 and NT4 the machine would shutdown correctly - Win98 would power down and NT4 would allow the front panel power switch to power off. Win2000 leaves a message that you may turn off your computer but the front panel switch is disabled. I have to haul the machine out from under the desk and hit the power switch on the rear of the machine.

Anyone have a fix? I have a Legend QDI motherboard with an Award BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

i have a shutdownproblem too.

when i want to shutdown, my computer

RESTARTS! I have an Asus P5A-B BAT-mobo.

In win9x, i would get a message like:

"it's now safe to turn of ya computer"

You have to enable ACPI in your bios before you install W2K and make sure that you have a ATX board. Also the bios version has to support this. I have had the same problem when I first installed W2K and then I reinstalled it clean with ACPI in power management (bios setting) set to on. Now it shuts down automatically and works fine. Apparently there is a way to re-install W2K by first making the ACPI in bios on - then - insert the W2K cd and doing a repair install. (I've tried and never got it work) So I did a fresh, clean, formatted drive install and it worked AOK.

------------------

=========================

Abit Bp6 - 2 C400 @ 540

Diamond Viper II - 32 meg

Maxtor 7200 rpm - 20 gig

SBLive Value

Panasonic 19" monitor

192 MB Ram @ 133 mhz

Actually, the previous post might not work.

These boards might be pre-ACPI, and hence can't use the advanced power features. However, there may be an alternate solution.

Go to Control Panel, add hardware.

add a device

(let it search, but that isn't important)

select "Add a new device" from the list

select "No..."

select NT Apm/Legacy Support

hit next and complete the install.

The system should once again automatically power off, and other power management features should be added (suspend, etc).

If the P5A-B still doesn't work, you might want to upgrade to the 1008 BIOS.

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 26 March 2000).]

Don't do that. I tried it. Now it's worse. I used to have a reboot on shutdown with APM on and a prompt for shutdown with APM off. Now I get a reboot on shutdown no matter what. I have the newest BIOS for ASUS tx97x. I thought I did do an install once where I was able to shutdown. I was able to shutdown in NT4. Now I am searching for a HAL.DLL that will work. I may try copying it from NT4.

I had the same problem, the fix go to start/

settings/control panel/power options/apm,then check enable apm .

check ok then when you shut down windows your computer should turn off.

I have the same problem. To fix it, fisrt make sure APCI is enabled in your BIOS. Then enable APM in your Power Control in your W2K

control panel. No more "Now you can turn off your machine" screen during shutdown.

Enable APM! There is no enable APM in my power managment. i have windows 2000! what is going on!

------------------

Amd k7 500 w/ 3dnow and mmx. :: 192 mb sd100 ram.

Biostar m7mka mobo. :: Maxtor 20 gig hardrive :: quantum fireball 4 gig hardirve :: 32x toshieba cd rom. :: 2x write 4x read phillips cdr w/ adaptec scsi. :: Winfast nvidia geforce 256 ddr 32mb w/ tv out. :: Diamond monster mx 300 Sound. :: Standard Floppy. :: 5 speakers including a subwoofer. :: Us robotics external 56k modem x2 v.90. :: Intellimouse explorer. ::

Standard gateway keyboard. :: 17 inch gateway ev700 monitor. :: Epson stylus color 600 printer. :: Info scaner. :: D-link 10/100 mbit ethernet lan card. dfe-530tx+ w/ wol. :: Windows 2000 Professional.

[This message has been edited by Arin (edited 28 March 2000).]

Quote:
Originally posted by Arin:
Well at least I don't look like you.
(This is the picture i took of you while at camp)

horseboy.gif

apm will show up in your power options menu if your bios supports apm and it is enabled in your bios first.

APM.jpg

[This message has been edited by J_Pro (edited 29 March 2000).]

See this. I knew that was there. What I am saying is: WHEN I CHECK IT MY MACHINE REBOOTS CONTINUOUSLY. WHEN I UNCHECK IT I AM PROMPTED TO POWER OFF. FINE. HOWEVER, WHEN I INSTALL THE NT Apm/Legacy Support, THE MACHINE WILL REBOOT CONTINUOUSLY EVEN WHEN I UNCHECK THE BOX. I do not recommend the NT Apm/Legacy Support install because I cannot ever power down at all.

Folks, I think you are on the wrong track... The reason of Win2000 not shutting down properly is cause of IRQ Sharring which sucks... almost any good PC magazine has written that biggest problem of win2000 plug&play is IRQ sharing.

I HAVE the same problem right now, my win2000 does not want to shut down, i have also to turn it off at the back of the pc on the ATX thing. It all appeared after i installed SBLIve! Drivers... situation is following... after xx formating, win2000 assigns on my PC irq 9 to ALL PCI/AGP Card, (Live!, network card, ISDN modem, GeForce) and famous ACPI... they all share ONE irq. usually you are allowed to change them manually but it does not work... so why after liveware it does not shut down? simple answer... creative programers made the driver so, that it MUST have ONE IRQ just for itself... ofcourse my isdn card drivers want to do the same... so my pc want shutdown... when i DISABLE isdn card OR live! IT SHUTS DOWN WITHOUT A PROBLEM... good drivers allow you to change the irq in device manager... but this want.... also i have setup IRQ assigns in BIOS... Win2000 IGNORES IT(!!!)..

i tried everything....from opening pc... to switching cards.. but win2000 installs them all on one damn IRQ... SBLIVE want to have it, so my ISDN card... the only way for me right now is to whait for better drivers or buy external ISDN card...

this is just a simple fight over a IRQ... it is one of the OLDEST WINDOWS problems.... you can face in any OPSYS from 95 to 2000....

may the IRQ sharing be with you...

I don't think it is an IRQ problem.

I have the following devices all on IRQ9.

Matrox G400 MAX

Adaptec 2940

Creative SB Live Value (With Liveware installed)

Intel Pro 10/100 network card.

My PC powers itself down without any problems.

Always has done without changing any settings.

Has anyone thought about the problem coming from having the Win2k Hot-fix installed. Shortly after doing that my soft-off no longer functioned. After shutting down message screen would lock up (couldn't even get cursor to move), and had to manually power off. Disabling APM would solve the lock up and give me the safe to turn off message. Any new clues?

BH6

Cel 466/128mg

Nov99 Bios

[This message has been edited by wctodd (edited 07 April 2000).]

hrmm must be some configuration problem in your guys' comp if IRQ9 is being used by all devices......

IRQ9 is only used by the "Intel 8237-1AB/EB PCi to USB Universal Host Controller"

my vidcard, soundcard and modem are on 11, 11, and 10, respectivly.

my comp doesnt have APM, ACPI, or any of that powermanagement BS. Win98 Shutdown turns off the comp.

Win2k doesnt. Big woop, who turns off a comp anyway? mines up 24/7, except when im installing new hardware

Quote:
Originally posted by wctodd:
Has anyone thought about the problem coming from having the Win2k Hot-fix installed. Shortly after doing that my soft-off no longer functioned. After shutting down message screen would lock up (couldn't even get cursor to move), and had to manually power off. Disabling APM would solve the lock up and give me the safe to turn off message. Any new clues?

BH6
Cel 466/128mg
Nov99 Bios

[This message has been edited by wctodd (edited 07 April 2000).]

check ftp.abit.com.tw/public/beta for NQ bios that solves all bh6's ACPI probs in win2k...

Yesterday I uninstalled the MS Hot-Fix for 2K and now Soft-off works fine. Don't see how it would have affected APM but something sure did. Anyone got ideas?

Yesterday I uninstalled the MS Hot-Fix for 2K and now Soft-off works fine. Don't see how it would have affected APM but something sure did. Anyone got ideas?

Yes, this IRQ9 only problem sounds like a Mobo Bios problem. I have ACPI enabled on my SuperMicro p6dbs and W2k has assigned IRQs as high as 20. Some are shared, most are not.

Regardless, the SBLive! drivers suck...

:}