Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher

some other kind of hardware problem...

I´m trying to reassemble my 133 MHZ machine,

but using mainboard #1 results in a "keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press DEL to enter setup or F1 to continue" message (how am I supposed to press a key if keyboard ain´t workin´?!) and using the other mainboard leads to a very beautiful black screen (I really hate modern art) at startup.

Items used at startup:

133 MHZ processor

32 MB EDO-RAM

4 GB HD

Matrox Mystique 4 / 8 MB (can´t remember how much exactly)

So, what does this have to do with NT Compatible? If i get this crap to finally working, I´m going to upgrade RAM to 64 MB, put W2k on it and use it as a fileserver for my little private network. :P ;( mad 8) confusedfrown

I know you have thought of this already but I have to ask it anyway.

Is the keyboard plugged in?

Did your keyboard work before?

If it did then unplug all your cards (except video), harddrives, pull out all the cables (except the power and important ones) if you've plugged something in wrong then it may have done somthing nasty to the power being supplied to the keyboard superi/o chip etc, often it returns to normal afterwards.

Taking into consideration the cheapness and lack of good keyboard chips (inside the keyboard) you may have fried it either by a wrong connection, or ESD (static). I know this cause i've done it many times. Out of 4 keyboards I have spare, only one works in my PC now. Yet the others all work in other computers, and worked in mine previously. If you get no lights comming on the keyboard then it may well be dead! if there are lights yet no action, a wire may be broke. Check the cable and the sockets soldering for a dry joint.

This is why we don't unplug devices with the power on!

Beavis: it is smile

Actually, I thought a while if I should write that I already checked if the keyboard is plugged in but then went the "nah, these folks surely assume I´ve checked that" way

euankirkhope: I tried with three keyboards, none of them work. Everything is unplugged except graphics card and RAM. I´m going to get the sledgehammer from the basement and put it next to the ´puter for threatening reasons. Worked once, maybe will work a second time, too smile

Not unplugging devices with power on? Hell, I do that 24/7 wink