Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Windows XP Pro - 64 Bit Edition

So I now have dual-booted my File Server using both Windows 2000 Pro and now XP Pro 64-bit.

My question is that I want to primarialy use the XP Pro side for most things but I'm wondering if I can just forgo the Win 2k side after moving all my data over and testing all the apps for proper functionality on the 64 bit side of things.

So far I've upgraded to the following 64-bit apps:

MySql

Java SDK

These have tested out ok so far but I want to do further testing until the end of the month just to make sure.

The other thing I want to do is to upgrade to a full 4GB of ram even though I have 3GB installed already.

I will of course need to verify the chipset supports that or if it has a weird memory mapping issue like the 32-bit Windows OS's do.

So does anyone else use this OS and if so do you use a full 4GB of memory ?!?

Any tips/tricks would be welcome smile

I have Windows XP Pro x64 and it runs great. Compatibility is fine with almost all my 32-bit Windows applications, including games. Although some games are a bit tricky to install.

I have 4GB and it all works correctly, no driver issues either. Need more 64-bit software. Eg. MS Office, Nero, etc.

I've decided to Dual-Boot my file server between Windows 2K Pro and XP-64-bit Edition, this is mostly for compatbility and for those occasional things I need to do in the older OS.

My gaming rig already dual-boots between the 32-bit and 64-bit XP Pro OS's, so I'm fine there too.

It's interesting to note that Gothic 3 runs like an absolute pig on XP Pro 64-Bit for some unknown reason. However, it runs just fine under either XP Pro 32-bit or Win 2K Pro, has to be something that the engine and the 64-bit OS is doing.

It behaves the same way on both my machines so I know that it's nothing to do with my SLI system or my single ATi graphics card machine, it is the game frown

XP Pro 64 Bit Edition is the best client operating system I've ever used. No problems with any software or drivers with it whatsoever. Stable as heck. If I need any other OS I load it up in a VM.

Originally Posted By: Atreyu
XP Pro 64 Bit Edition is the best client operating system I've ever used. No problems with any software or drivers with it whatsoever. Stable as heck. If I need any other OS I load it up in a VM.

I like VM's but I've got so many extra parts lying about that I just make up a machine if I need it for a certain task wink

I think VM is so great and convenient, especially I need to do some tests of the software.