Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mizar

W2K installation problems....

I was running W2K 2195 for 2 months.. then i decided to format and reinstall just to clean things up... After which i was unable to install w2k on the freshly formatted drive.. I used w2k's boot disk and everytime after the fourth disk i get a hard drive corrupt error.. which is strange.. seeming as tho i can install 98 on the drive just fine.. i tried a million things, repartition; fdisk /mbr; even WD's EZ-Drive *shudder*, and i still get the error...

specs:

p3 500

abit bx6-2.0

256 mb of Crucial PC100

IBM 14.4 gig 7200rpm hdd

Maxtor 13.2 gig 7200 hdd

Creative 6x/32x DVD-ROM

Memorex 2/2/12 CD-R

Creative Annihilator Pro Vid card

Intel ISA generic NIC

Sound Blaster Live! value

Hollywood+ DVD decoder

I would try to format the drive with a 98 boot disk, use the /s to make it bootable, and copy the i386 directory from the Win2K cd. Run setup from the hard drive and it won't need those boot disks. This should take care of that. I use a bootable Win2K CD which works great so I havent run into this problem.

My son has a BX6 rev 2.0 and he is also running 2K Try the install by re-installing 98 first then installing 2K but do not select clean install and right at that screen or right around that screen you will also see a option that say something like advanced options or something like that anyway go in there and say copy all files to hard drive. That should work it did for us anyway good luck my friend.

Regards

Jim

The Windows 2000 CD is bootable. Why not use it ??

OR

You could boot off a Win95/Win98 boot disk and run the

"x:\i386\winnt.exe /makelocalsource" where 'x' is your cd rom drive letter.

let me know if this works.

Strange I believe I had this problem once before. I couldnt quite understand it. Is it after it copies all the files to the harddrive and reboots for the first time?

Yea, soon as it copies files.. it loads all the necessary drivers and then tries to load the os.. but no matter what i do.. wether its upgrade 98 replace 98 or a fresh install i alwayys get the harddrive corrupt error frown

Do you need to load drivers for your HD controller? Or is the setup using the right drivers?

I assume you know about pressing F6 to load the drivers if needed.

Some times setting up W2k is as much fun as Linux.

Hmm.. it the regular ide controller on my bx6-2.. the thing is it WAS installed and running fine befor.. ever since that format.. only 98 will install on it..