Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JosefTor

Restart/blue screen Live! fix

Hi, I have attempted again to fix this restarting and blue screen problem. I did not test out this .INF file but I don't think I changed anything critical to the running and installing of the file itself. I just turned off the startup check of the file that everyone says is having a problem with. If you want to try it go to http://members.aol.com/~joseftor/liverestartfix.inf . Please tell me if it works or not. If it doesn't work I have one more solution waiting to be tried which might make it work.

-joseftor@hamptons.com

Josef Torkelsen

If the file says that it can't be installed just open the .INF file and search for the "service_error_control" line and change where it says ErrorControl to 1 instead of 0 and then try reinstalling with the INF file and it might work.

In order to install this updated inf file you must search for the INF file already in use and delete it. If you don't know what I am talking about then I would recommend that you don't install this file because you need to be a more advanced user for the stuff that I am doing.

This is slightly off-topic but I thought I should put my info in. I was getting the same blue screen as you folks - about a bad DATE_STAMP or something. So I played around some more. My advice - be VERY careful with what you're playing around with. When all was done, I would boot to NTOSKRNL.EXE stop screen - no safe mode or anything. And no, I didn't have the hacked lw3 drivers, i'm running dual processor system. Just a quick word of advice, as I'm going to be reformatting 18 GB in a day (I'm in win98 now and HATING every minute of it ;-) )

I am having much trouble getting rid of that blue screen. even when i uninstall the devices, rip out the sb live, and boot safe mode i still get access violations running cleanup.cmd (as admin of course). Also, the blue screen only pops up for an instant before rebooting the machine, so i can't read any details off it except that it's an unhandled exception of some sort. Any thoughts? thanks in advance.

I e-mailed JosefTor earlier today with my suggestions for fixing this. I noticed that the only files that cleanup.cmd tries to delete that I can't seem to get rid of are 2 files in C:\WINNT\system32\, they are devcon32.dll and ctmm32.dll. I know that ctmm32.dll is the Creative Technologies Multimedia Mixer, but I have no idea what the other one is. I've tried booting to safe mode and deleting these files, but everything I try...they still seem to be in use by Windows. Let me know if this sounds similar to you.

Yeah, that's my exact problem. i'm getting pretty fed up with having no sound, and since i can't read the blue screen i can't really think of anything. . .

My only suggestion to you guys having a problem with windows letting go of files is this - if you still have a 98 machine around, specifically a 98 boot disk, boot with that. Since you know the exact filenames you should have no problems deleting them from a dos box. hope this helps.

This isnt exactly about this topic but its in the general area of cleaning up drives and such. When I install win2k, is it possible to format a drive at installation time? It was easy with win98 just needing a boot disk and being able to do it from dos, but I found myself looking for ways to format just to find that I couldnt find any =\

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattchris:
they are devcon32.dll and ctmm32.dll. I know that ctmm32.dll is the Creative Technologies Multimedia Mixer, but I have no idea what the other one is. I've tried booting to safe mode and deleting these files, but everything I try...they still seem to be in use by Windows

had the same problem - booted to safe mode and used the cleanup.cmd - noticed that some files could not get deleted - i started windows commander and deleted some but these 2 were protected by the system - but i was able to move them to a different folder - dont know why and how but it worked - booted normal mode - deleted them in the other directory - installed dell drivers - and no more bluescreen !

one of these 2 files is causing the emu10k1 crash!

Wow, Windows Commander does work. As Distar, who will always be my hero, said, you can't delete the files, but you can move them in Safe Mode. After that, just reboot and install with the Dell Drivers. Works fine now. Thanks so much guys.

hey,

someone mentioned that they didnt have enough time to read that blue screen message before the computer rebooted.

Its cause you have automatic reboot checked in you recovery options, (my comp, properties)

But problem is that blue screen doesnt give too much detail, just memory dump...

I have not gotten Livewire to work at all, whenever its installed, and i try to click on creative mixer, it just bumps my cpu utilization to 100% and sits in task manager as non responsive.

im just going to wait till mid march for creatvie official drivers...

Chances are the Creative Drivers won't help you get rid of these two files. If the Dell drivers/liveware can't do it, chances are Creative's won't be able to either. So, sooner or later you'll have to either go into safe mode with Windows Commander and get rid of them or do a complete reformat/reinstall.

to delete those last two files you must boot off of the win200 cd, go to repair options, use the repair console, attrib the two files, then delete them, and presto chango no more BSOD!!!it worked for me!

e-mail me if you have any questions

tweaked@kc-primary.net