Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
APV_SAV

IDE Block mode in bios

Should I disable or enable this in bios for W2K?

I know under NT 4.0 if enable this function will casue file transfer error

TIA

If you shouldn't use it under NT4, then you probably shouldn't use it under 2k either. Considering it is, after all, NT

He asked a simple question EddiE314, don't insult my intelligence, sounds like you're a little B1TCH that was picked on as a child.

finally found out thru experiment that you shouldn't enable it if you have both fat32 and ntfs drive in your box.

ide block mode enabled:

no problem transfering file from fat32 drive to fat32 drive and ntfs drive to ntfs drive.

large file will be lost if transfered from fat32 drive to ntfs drive or vice versa

ide block mode disabled:

no problem at all

I have all kinds of FAT, FAT32 and NTFS partitions with primary or extended partitioning on my HDDs, I have never experience any instability involved file transfers. In my recent HDD upgrading exercises, I often transfer file goups up to 20GB in size at a time across those partitions and never had a problem with it.

The IDE block mode only affect PIO mode of data transfer with your HDDs, it does not affect DMA33/66 in modern HDDs.

i have had all kinds of setups fat32, fat16, ntfs, and the linux partition. But i dont remember what its called. Anyway i have never experienced any problems. What does it actually do?

ext2 is a mountable filing system for the LINUX, which is similar to what NTFS dynamic volume that can have mounting options and extensible/shrinkable. I also has no problem when I had LINUX 5.2 on my system

tylau,

it does cause my 1.2mb test file to disappear when ide block mode is enable when i transfer it from my Quantum KA to my Quantum SCSI drive. beats me