Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Creative SB Live! FAQ

I see they are rolling out a Live!ware for W2K but look at all the crap features it has frown. I would rather use my hacked up drivers with a better live!ware product than going back to live!ware 1

Looks like I expected to much from Creative - they take ages over releasing drivers (end of feb - march) and then release crap, out-of-date drivers for it.

Think I'll stick with my Liveware 3 mixture thingy smile

Exorcist

Who wants to go back to liveware 1? I too gave Creative too much credit, thinking they would intro Liveware 4 for win 2k. Also, no mention of SMP compatibility, anyone know if these "new" driver's will support it? That might be a reason to switch...

Will some kind gent please gimme a working url for this hacked win2k livewire cos i need it bad.

Well - after speaking to a friend - I'm holding out a little hope that when Live!Ware4 is released it will have Win2k support, not sure how misplaced that is though frown

Oh well - soon see.

Exorcist

well if the live ware works then i would go back to liveware 1.0.....cause no matter how much installing i do i still have major probs with the liveware 3.0 in win2k....where are you guys finding the sb live win2k drivers? i searched creative and i couldnt find em

Creative have no official Win2k drivers at this time (as far as I know)

Try the downloads section, sure there's something in there on how to get Liveware 3 working under Win2k - works ok on my PC even if it is immensely fiddley, doesnt seem to work on everyones though.

Exorcist

Creative can blow me> I knew they would do this. I bet they just got some guys workign on this durring hte past week. I bet they thought oh yea win2k is coming out maby we should support it. Fsucking A what are these guys thinking. There are so many companies that came out with drivers and these guys wait until the last minute.

Sorry guys i had another long day, We got a foot of snow here in VT... frown

Well guys, what I think of is just keep some patience and a little respect,since W2K is just around the turn, and I dont think creative can afford not having good support for one of its key product line in such a major updrade exercise. cheers.

Creative has had plenty of time to get their act together, the day that RC1 was finished. There wasn't going to be any major changes at that point and that was quite a ways back if I remember correctly.

Well, one W2K thing I wanted is a no-go, hopefully there will be some real Asus TNT drivers that run decently but I'm not holding my breath smirk

Im happy with the way nvidia drivers are flowing. They seem to come out every 2-3 weeks. they usually get better every time. I agree creative should have done somthing since RC1 or even RC3. we should all send them hate mail, give them costomer relations hell..

Whine whine whine! Anyone here who *****es about creative(and any other company)about their drivers, I have one thing to say, lets see you write the drivers ok? When your capable of writing better drivers then complain, other wise be quiet and patient.

hmmm... i just wiped out my sb-16 value.

boy does this isa sounblaster rock.. weeeee sounds much like my sblive.. i think until the drivers get released for smp liveware win2k i'll keep this baby in ma puter .. cuz it sounds perfectly fine for now.. smile

It's the same for me : my AWE 64 is better than my SBPCI128, so I'm happy I haven't bought a new mobo with no ISA ... smile

As Seldzar said : we do not write driver ourselves, so be patient. In another way, it's their job and they are lazy slugs (look at nVidia).

Awx

Creative simply sucks, even Logitech has released mouseware 9.0 for W2K b4 offical launch date for W2K

HAHAHA thats funny.....comparing mouse drivers with soundcard drivers....hmmmm 3d audio implimentation or left click....hmmmmm

Hey Awaxx, when at work are you not trying to be lazy or trying to get out of doing more work than you should be =)

simply comparing hardware companies' altitudes towards w2k and their customers support, i don't see anything wrong with that. IMHO

"Seldzar: I have one thing to say, lets see you write the drivers ok? When your capable of writing better drivers then complain, other wise be quiet and patient."

what kind of childish ignorant rant is this? How realistic is it for someone to make drivers for a product for themselves? We bought these hardware (SB live) and we expect support. We don't just want to sitback and wait for month for drivers to come. And when a new, important OS comes out, we expect it to be supported. Its pretty pathetic how a big company like SB doesn't have drivers ready for their flagship product, and when they do come out, is substandard. Now, what you said is totally ignorant of reality. So we can't complain about products unless we could make better ones? Its like someone saying "Don't complain about Win2k unless you know how to make a better os." or "don't complaine about ur crappy american car...go and build ur own car". I'll take it into consideration that anything you complain about in the future...I'll add to it by saying "you shouldn't complain unless you know how to make it better".

Heifetz

quote:"...When your capable of writing better drivers then complain..."

i disagree; if let's say i could build better drivers than creative, then complain about what??? (probably i should write better drivers than 3dfx also etc untill i become God when i won't have anything left to complain about ;))

It's a serious company's responsibility to support all customers who buy their products. therefore they should have already released drivers for all their products.

that's my point of view on the subject.

[This message has been edited by 5t3ph3n (edited 17 February 2000).]

*ahem*

we are all at the mercy of the software/hardware companys. If they want to delay release of some drivers, then too f'ing bad for us. ranting on this forum doesn't do jack squat either. Do you really think employees of these companies read these forums to 'get motivated' and write the drivers quicker??(if they do? the world really is a better place).

I haven't heard anyone say that they've personally sent out a response directly to these companies complaining and voicing their opinions about these delays. Sure we may get a form response, but at least they'll realize the need out there and may actually be pressured to release the drivers quicker.

If all of us here do send an email, that like what? 10-20 people? 30+ with all the lurkers out there? this isn't a flood of emails but i'm sure they'll get the picture.

Also, you have to realize the market scope of their products. win9x users eclipses any nt or 2k numbers. when a company has limited resources and personel, they can only devote a certain percentage to certain OS's. Devoting the whole team to w2k support is expensive and time consuming, as well as a stupid decision(since w2k ISN'T going to be widely adopted(I expect flames for this remark)).

Anyways, back to my original point. Send emails to creative or nvidia or whatever other company that's pissing you off.

And FYI. I have an SBLive, and a TNT2Ultra card. BP6 too.. so i do have my own fair share of problems. I also run w2k as my primary OS.

Flame away boys..

I don't get the argument that has been posted here. Because Creative doesn't supply drivers we must stop moaning or write our own? That is a ridiculous proposal.

Agreed, perhaps on the Platinum box it says Win 98 or NT4 - but the attitude of Creative has been nothing short of contempt.

Why has Matrox for instance gone to the trouble of releasing Beta drivers for their products which also were not released with Win2k-ready on the box. Customer service?

Granted - the drivers are not yet perfect but at least one is grateful for an attempt to provide an interim solution. I wonder what Creatives angle is going to be when 2 months down the road they finally condescend to providing Win2k support and we discover their drivers are in fact not quite 100% bug-free, because that is their excuse for not having them ready.

Creative needs to look at the history of arrogance in the IT game.....

AFAIK, Matrox is having their own driver certification instead of the WHQL certification for future drivers.

Why cant i B!tch about creative. If i sold a product and charged 100 dollars for each sound card and supported the main os's that people used then i would have written a win2k driver. Myself i cant write drivers thats not my line of work. But at what i do i do it well and take care of my responsibilities. creative doesnt seem to do the job that well. All i am saying is that we waited this long, sucking up the negative feelings that we had for creative because we knew that win2k was just a beta os but now that it is mainstream they dont have an excuse anymore.