Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anzavic

MD 10.1 Installation problem

I finally got MD 10.1 to load on my computer and when I got to the end it said to take out my CD and reboot. I took out the CD and the Boot disk and rebooted my machine. A black screen came up with...

Localhost login: I put my name in here.

Then the next line says:

Last login: Sat Nov 20 on tty1 [my name@localhost my name]$

I can't get around this and don't know what to put in after the dollar sign... Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

HP 8180

128mb ram

6gb hd

Pent II

Were you able to test the video during install, and was this successful? my guess is that you are really pushing the limits on the HP 8180 installing mandrake 10.1. If you have all the original equipment in the system, the video is probably the culprit.

Were tou able to od a graphical install, or did it revert to a text install?

What you have is the command line, which probably means that video failed. What happens when you type in startx (hit the enter key) once you have entered your user name and get the command prompt?

BTW, what were the names of the iso files that you burned, just to make sure that you got the correct ones for this system? Or did you purchase the cdrom set?

ANSWERS to your questions:

**Were tou able to od a graphical install, or did it revert to a text install?****

No, I did the graphical install and it seemed fine.

***BTW, what were the names of the iso files that you burned, just to make sure that you got the correct ones for this system? Or did you purchase the cdrom set?***

I purchase the set...three CD's in all.

***What happens when you type in startx (hit the enter key) once you have entered your user name and get the command prompt?****

Ok, didn't know that I was suppose to type in the startx

and I just did and received the following message:

xauth: creating new authority file /home/my name/.Xauthority

Release date: 18 Dec 2003

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 9, Resease 6.7

Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.8.1-10mdk #1 Wed Sep 8 17:00:52 CEST 2004 i686

Build Date: 13 Sept 2004

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org

to make sure that you have the latest verion.

Module Loader Present

Markers: (--) probed, (**) From config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (E) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Nov 21 05:26:57 2004

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Using vt 7

(EE) Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once-only module, 135962511)

(WW) ATI (0): Failed to set up write-cmbining range (0xfb000000,0x200000)

(EE) ATI (0) Virtual size (1024x768 (pitch 1024) exceeds video memory

(EE) Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:

No screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation Support at http://wiki.X.Org for help.

Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for addional information.

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

You don't normally have to type is startx, but getting a prompt with X failing usually is an indication that it does not like the video settings. Typing this command resulted in some information that is helpful in this regard.

Quote:
(WW) ATI (0): Failed to set up write-cmbining range (0xfb000000,0x200000)

(EE) ATI (0) Virtual size (1024x768 (pitch 1024) exceeds video memory

(EE) Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:

No screens found

If you have the original video card in the system, it has only 2 mb of video memory. My guess is that that is not enough to run at the default of 1024 X 768 resolution. You probably need to change it to 800 X 600.

During install, did you test the various screen options to see if any would work? This is easy to miss.

I have never editied xorg.conf, or configured it via the command line, but maybe someone else has and can help.