Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imperia

Windows 2003 Enterprise Server DOESN'T SUPPORT INFRARED!!!

Hi to all.

I just found this forum which has exactly what i am looking for. The only problem is that the files are no longer available for download. Please could someone let me know where they are available for download or email them to me.

Thanks

dear sir

May I have the files as well. I wanna to make my win2k3 work with infrared too.

Thanks a lot

i have tried the link but i cannot download from it?

Says something in Russian???

Can anyone mail me the files please?

Maybe someone can explain something to me; I fail to see the need for IRDA access on enterprise servers. Are you folks using these on actual rack-mounted hardware in server farms? That is what the Enterprise Server product is designed for. For clustering, failover, high-availability, etc. Otherwise, you really ought to be using the Standard Server product that supports IRDA natively.

You do realize that IRDA can be a major security hole, if turned on in a server environment, right?

Of course, I think it's highly likely that the majority of posters here requesting these hacked files are running unlicensed versions of Enterprise Server.

Edit: Sorry for that sounding a bit harsh, not really how I had intended it.

[Edited by adamvjackson on 2004-10-26 11:11:51]

Actually, there are many people (even in Microsoft) that are running server editions on their laptops. I used to run server on my laptop, as it provides many functions that XP does not have (such as running more than one website at once, or using full blown RRAS). It was nice to be able to throw my laptop into a network and get whatever I needed running at that moment (such as routing) like I used to with Linux.

Also, while you bring up clustering as a difference, there are other differences that can make someone want to use it as well. The cluster service is a good one though, since you could possibly be testing (or just learning how to cluster) and regular server edition only supports NLB. Most test classes (like the one I'm taking) start with active/passive clustering that you only get in Enterprise Edition and higher. Oh, and if you want to test PKI and certificate generation/distribution, you're out of luck with the regular edition as well.

Now, having written all of this, I would have to agree that a great many copies of these might be pirated. But, for those that are not pirating, my suggestion is to get a ton more RAM and run Virtual Server 2005 for industrial grade testing, and Virtual PC for limited/basic testing. I have a cluster of 3 nodes plus a DC running on my server at home for my class, and we run (on average) 10 VMs per box at work for our AD testing.

Ok, i finall got it working.

Downloading the file was a bit of a hassle:

First you have to go to http://www.xnt.info/news.php?id=2591

then select the hyperlink that is somewhere in the middle of the Russian text (underlined). This hyperlink takes you to http://leech.x-forum.info/leech.php?file=Irda2k3.rar

and from there you can download the file. For some reason i could not download it directly from the last link!!

From there it is all downhill:

1. Unpack the zipped file in a folder

2. Run irda_install.inf (right click > install)

3. copy all .inf files to Windows\inf\

4. Reboot

5. Go to device manager and install the ir device

(If it asks you for any files, point to the unpacked folder)

I hope this will help anyone else who has the same problem.

Okay, the link where the files are supposed to reside is no longer valid. Can anyone please email me the files or post them somewhere not in Russian? Did anyone else get this working properly?

Thanks a ton,

Jed

Dear jeddurso,

i just tried to download and it still works.

Try to follow my instructions above exactly. I also had a lot of trouble initially.

Good luck

Originally posted by strade:

Quote:
Ok, i finall got it working.

Downloading the file was a bit of a hassle:

First you have to go to http://www.xnt.info/news.php?id=2591

then select the hyperlink that is somewhere in the middle of the Russian text (underlined). This hyperlink takes you to http://leech.x-forum.info/leech.php?file=Irda2k3.rar

and from there you can download the file. For some reason i could not download it directly from the last link!!

From there it is all downhill:

1. Unpack the zipped file in a folder

2. Run irda_install.inf (right click > install)

3. copy all .inf files to Windows\inf\

4. Reboot

5. Go to device manager and install the ir device

(If it asks you for any files, point to the unpacked folder)

I hope this will help anyone else who has the same problem.

Great,the download is still valid according to your clear instruction. But when I did the whole process step by step. An error appeared after step 5, the last step that resulted in the failure in installing this device. I know its my os's problem for I've installed the device sucessfully before with somewhat different method and step. Now I wonder if I can correct the problem and make the above installion work .

Thanks for your advice and help.