Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imperia

Windows 2003 Enterprise Server DOESN'T SUPPORT INFRARED!!!

i got this from the windows help file:

"In the Windows .NET Server 2003 family, only Windows .NET Server 2003, Standard Edition supports infrared networking."

somebody have any idea how to get it to work?

damn. maybe the only solution is to install standard edition.

maybe there is some way to "extract" required dlls and to manage enterprise to work with it.

does "wireless networking" means infrared at all or infrared without network support. because my driver installs correctly (not yellow mark) but just do not work.

Infared is a division of wireless networking

If you mean more along the lines of 802.11 then that is different from infared ... perhaps the drivers for your wireless device do not yet support .NET ... have you tried the latest ones or contacting the manufacturer?

Is the wireless configuration service running?

Double check your wireless nic configs ... WEP ESSID and so on ...

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition does not have infared support. Only the Std. Edition and Web Edition support IR devices.

this is very stupid. if i am going to spend thousand of dollars for the best windows i want to have all extras.

can somebody tell me the major differences between standard, web server and enterprise server editions. because i am going to install standard edition if infrared is not supported on enterprise.

The chances are that you would not be using IR on a server, can't really think of an instance when you would be.

If you are spening thousands on a server OS to use it as a workstation, well at least you have prior warning that the support is not there.

If you planning on using this OS as a workstation and are not spending thousands then you certainly don't have any valid arguments.

First, it's the *Enterprise* class of server, and I sorely doubt that anyone will ever need to use IR on a clustered or giant server that you would run this version of the OS on. In addition, I haven't seen *any* server that would benefit from it, and in fact I would see it as a possible security hole if the system was hosting a firewall and the firewall app was not made "aware" of this possible connection. I just can't see why anyone would actually want that support on a server.

It works for me (W2K3 enterprise) after a bit of hacking.

Add correct device category by finding Ir320.inf using google. Remove the exclusion and sys file from the inf. Install and remove it again smile

Or maybe a registry file like this will do... (save with extension .reg and run it)

;***** BEGIN

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC5-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]

"Class"="Infrared"

@="Infrared devices"

"EnumPropPages32"="NetCfgx.dll,NetPropPageProvider"

"Icon"="1401"

"Installer32"="NetCfgx.dll,NetClassInstaller"

;***** END

Download Windows W2K3 normal server (or 4-in-1). Expand some inf files. Extract some files from DRIVER.CAB.

hidir.sys irbus.sys irclass.dll irda.sys irenum.sys irftp.exe irmk7.sys irmon.dll irprops.cpl irsir.sys irsnap.chm irstusb.sys ir_begin.wav ir_end.wav ir_inter.wav KBDIR.DLL msircomm.sys nscirda.sys rasirda.sys smcirda.sys viairda.sys wshirda.dll

Then install your IR device using those files. It should automatically copy them to the right system dirs.

Good luck and regards,

DarkFader

DarkFader.net

PS: don't ask me to send the filez wink

many thanks, I'm very close to the solution, but I still have a problem:

when I try to install the new device my system asks me for a generic .inf file (containing the information on hardware) that I don't have...where can I take it?

thanks for all

Originally posted by Demophobie:

Quote:
Yeah i have same question too. Windows asks for a inf-file! ;(

Wow, I was just about to post the same thing.

Yeah, anybody has a full solution that would be great!

matt

I think if noone replies i will copy the files to the folders they have to be in and restart, perhaps win2k3 will use them to install the ifrared port. damn i need it today!

Quote:
I think if noone replies i will copy the files to the folders they have to be in and restart, perhaps win2k3 will use them to install the ifrared port. damn i need it today!

Did you happen to get it working? smile

I would like to see what your ir320.inf file looks like. I got mine to start installing, but it bombs out on a service portion of the file.

Quote:
Yeah i have same question too. Windows asks for a inf-file! ;(

I Expanded Some .IN_ Files From The Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed. DISC, and put them into The Same Folder with extracted IrDA Driver Files.

Then I can Update the "UNKNOWN" Device Driver Into IrDA Device, by Selecting to search the Folder with those .ini and .dll files.

It looks like a Normal IrDA Device working now, but still not to know how to serve as a network device. :P

Originally posted by jin911:

Quote:
U can find solution right here (http://www.xnt.info/news.php?id=2591)

______

Yankee go home!

Did anybody tried this? O got driver error cannot loud when I try to install this. Can anybody translate this manuals how to install?

translation:

1. download & unpack archive to a folder

http://leech.x-forum.info/leech.php/Irda...41d55ee0ad94248

2. right-click "irda_install.inf" in that folder and choose "Install"

3. copy all .inf files to Windows\inf folder

4. reboot

5. install irda as usual

6. if during install windows asks for any files, direct it to archive folder

I tryed it, works fine (2003 ent., tekram 410w)

Thank you it works now, before I didn't copy inf files to inf directory...