Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
auger

New system, what to get?

AHH.

Havent had any problem with the ram I bought. Works as adverstised. THo by ordering from thier website their native language isn't English, and calling them on the phone I have deduced they are Asian.

After living in Korea I can honestly say that the Asian culture in general don't regard princials like copyrights and the like, such as European and western cultures. And it would not suprise me if they are not as legit as one would like.

Funny thing, Korea used to not crack down on ripped off American products, like music cd's and games, but now that Korea makes thier contribution to that industry, you see them being much harder on those that violate the law

Ref: IBM Hard Drives

I think the biggest problem with the drives is that they were too successful.

The 75 GXP followed by the 60 GXP units were extremely popular, mainly because every HD round up showed them beating the competition and by quite some margin.

Nothing could touch these drives, to be frank theyw ere the fastest and best on the market.

Certainly in the beginning when these units first made it to market we didn't hear about all these fails and the like.

They satuated the market, they must have held a massive percentage of the HD market and that is when you start to hear about problems.

When one particular company owns a significant percentage of the HD market (and I think I'd be safe to say IBM probably at one point held over 50% of the IDE market) you start to hear about more fails because there are more of the units out there to fail.

I don't feel the IBM units are any less reliable than any other manufacturer out there, they probably have the same fail rate but because there are more drives out there you hear about them more often.

As I've said earlier in this thread I truely haven't seen the kind of fail rates others have described and even though these stories surfaced I continued to purchase them.

It would be really interesting to have a break down on all those failures.

How many were in overclocked systems, how many were in cases that were not even normally cooled.

The end result I'm sure would be nothing really abnormal.

And of course there is always the old saying, nobody ever tells the world if they are happy with something, only when they are not.

I'm sure for every one unhappy IBM user there are plenty of happy ones.

the GPX75's IBM vere defective and IBM never had the guts to recal them.

THere is a class action suit against them now.

they upgraded my 45gb to 60gb just to get me uff their back.

...and the class action is going how far?

No offence, but it really doesn't appear that IBM have any case to answer and I'm pretty convinced the courts will see it the same way.....(USA courts, McDonalds fined for woman driver scolded on hot drink whilst driving with said drink balanced between her legs)...I retract my above statement, I expect IBM will be shut down over this one.

I had cooling on my 60GXP's. and at least one is down the toilet...I'll be getting to it later this week after my semester is over...

what r u tlking about bladerunner?

nice name though, i like the movie, one of my fav.

IBM imediately stopedd production of their 75's like 3 months after the initial release. Although not all sized 75's were bad. They knew very well it was defective and there was an indipendant study to show it.

a lot of people lots a lot of valuable info without prior worning. just poof. all gone no boot.

i don't see how this relates to the cofee as there is no negligance or incompetance on behalf of the customers, it simply bad hardwar design. Ridiculous comparison...

they fixed the prob and hence came forth the 60's.

i know u have an attachment for IBM's so i forgive you. smile

Well i run maxtor harddrives in everyone of my machines, and they make me happy. and get what you want, don't let peeps make decisions for ya, it's alright to have peeps opions but you make your own decision