Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
auger

New system, what to get?

Yeah, & I'm 1 of 'em [the happy AMD/VIA users I mean] - I was making a joke to lighten the mood as it sounded like it was getting a bit too serious. smile

Quote:

Nah, go AMD, apart from being faster its also cheaper.

What you see here it a lot of "post purchase disorder", ppl trying to rationalize that they got less, but paid more.

I haven't had any AMD/VIA related problems, most are Microsh1t related anyhow. There are millions of happy AMD users out there!

H.

What crap!!!
I'm sorry, but where you dug this BS up from I really don't know.
I bought Intel, pre-Northwood because I wanted Intel.
I wanted a fast stable system and if that meant paying a little bit more than I would for an AMD/VIA (Snigger) setup then so be it.
I didn't and don't go into any purchase blindly, I do the research first and make my decision based on that.
I neither need to rationalise nor justify the extra money spent on my system, 100% system reliability does that for me.

No it isn't a Microsoft problem, it's a VIA and their lack of ability problem.
There are millions of happy AMD users out there!
That's very true, but for every 1 million happy AMD users there are 4 million Intel ones.

Quote:

I would say...go cyrix!!! cos as everyone here well knows, they rule! Also you are extremly lucky to not have any via problems, i havent been so lucky and i certainly wouldnt recommend them to anyone else.

This was the latest that I could find on Cyrix worth mentioning, but if this doesn't float your boat then go with a Transmeta unit.

I have owned more AMD systems, and have built more, I am willing to bet then anyone on this board.

I ran AMD form the K6 to the K6-2, the first Athlon to the XP.

And I just bought INtel. WHen you work in the IT field you see a lot of systems, plus my need to upgrade every 2 months, I have had a lot of rigs to play with.

We are providing the best options for his needs. No biased here, I'm not married to any platform. But as a pro, paid to know this ****, I can easily say go INTEL.

I recently upgraded my system to an AMD/nForce solution, and I have to say I'm very happy with it so far. I was also a little worried about getting via. From the posts I've read here and on other forums, it doesn't seem like via chipsets are bad all around, just inconsistent. I have friends who have used via boards for years and have never had a single significant problem. I also have friends who have had nothing but trouble from their via boards.

That inconsistency is ultimately why I went with the nForce. It is new and relatively unproven, but I just don't have much faith in via, nor the willingness to spend more money for equal performance (or less in some cases) with a P4.

In the ~3 weeks that I've had my new system, I'm happy to say it hasn't given me one single problem. Not one game has crashed, not once has windows crashed. Of course, 3 weeks is not a very long track record to go off of, but I'm just happy that my system didn't have any growing pains after upgrading.

There's a lot of really useful info here. After much research, I think I'm going P4 2Gig with Abit TH7 Raid. The TH7 is highly tweakable and I haven't found any serious reports of problems. I've been on AMD of various stripes since 1997. Gonna give Intel a whirl this time around. Rationale: stability, memory bandwidth and a much narrower gap in price diff as of late. SCSI is a bit out of my league at the moment but I think I'll do ok with my IBM ATA 100 7200 drives. Thanks all for posting. Cheers.

I have never had a problem with IBM. tho I have read too much too know there does exist problems

IBM's are great IMO, I have six of 'em spinning, the oldest one must be from 96 or so. You'l find anecdotal evidence that any HD brand is good or bad, I doubt that there is a big difference in quality between the major brands today. Speed etc is another matter.

H.

I've said it many times, I am still only to see two IBM units fail.

One of those took a trip down a flight of stairs and the other just failed.

However, at home I did have 2x 75GXP units, I now have 4x 60GXP units.

At work we have no less than 40-50 IBM drives of various sizes in our workstations, and out of all these only one real failure - I call that well within specification.

Also love them or hate them, you'd be hard pushed to find a drive that performs better in RAID than the IBM units.

So far my 30GB 75GXP has been ok, <crosses fingers & touches wood> but it does tend to get a bit warm. It's currently @ about the coolest it gets, 35&degC, which is because my room is fairly cool @ the mo. When stressed though, such as whilst defragging, it can go upto 45&degC.

& as to all the reports etc about probs with IBM - they have been enough to put me off buying another for the forseeable future. The next drive I want [if they're still available by the time I have the money for 1!] is 1 of those 8MB cache "special edition" Western Digital drives.

The WD's with 8mb cache are better for video and large file transfers. The IBM's with 2MB of cache are faster for smaller file transfers. Both are pretty much the same speed-wise. I'v heard it stated that the 333 hour/11hrs a day limit on IBM's drives is just IBM covering themselves after the little fiasco with their HD's. The HD's are still under warranty if you run 'em 24/7 until forever but like any mechanical part they will fail. Supposedly other HD companies use the formula too.

Even so I'd go for the WD which is what I plan on doing when I get back. Buying 3-4 120gb WD's. smile

heer are some good reviwes for new Hard drives out......

Fujitsu has set high goals for itself: back in January, we tested a 10,000 rpm drive (MAN3367MP) that impressed with its performance and acceptable noise level. Now, Fujitsu has upped the stakes once more - the MAM series at 15,000 rpm is supposed to conquer the high-end sector. Just one word in advance: Fujitsu is a master of its trade.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/02q2/020415/index.html

[/list:u]

Western Digital demonstrates what can be done with top-notch IDE drives: The WD1200JB arms itself with an 8 MB cache to beat off its competitors and make its way towards SCSI performance - all of this at an acceptable price, of course. What can we expect from this mega-drive?

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/02q1/020305/index.html

[/list:u]

i hope it is okay to post those links smile

Enjoy

I am grabbing a 120 / 8mb cache drive my self this week.

IBM doesn't build HDDs anymore...they sold the shop to Hitachi. Good deal, I say, I too had an 60GXP and it died on me after 3 months. I own a Seagate Barracuda ATAIV now, happy as they come.

The merge between IBM & Hitachi wasn't an instant thing and the current line of IBM GXP HD's are still being manufactured by IBM.

Seems to me that every time someone has an IBM drive fail they need to tell everyone about it smile anyway, i can only speak from experience but ive had 2x60gxp drives that i have had since they were first released and they are still spinning as i type this. I have however now had 3 maxtor drives fail. frown

As far as the TH7-II goes, ive got that board, it has next to 0 tweaks in the bios apart from overclocking and be warned it does have a slight cold boot problem when significantly overclocked (you may need to turn it on and then push reset for it to boot correctly). Apart from that, great board and 100% stable.

I have used many IBM drives, and had only 1 fail (and got great service on the replacement). I love my Western Digitals, and I currently have 2 100GB units w/8MB cache that are pretty trick along with a 120GB unit in my server at home. I used to love Fujitsus, but that was a long time ago and I have no idea how they have been made in the last few years. I did, however, not care for Seagate IDE drives. Those were 500-750MB units though, so can we count those?

:P

i've only had 1 H/D completely die, it was a Western Digital......go figure...

Hammer

Seagate have always failed for me. Used to have 2 or 3 returns a week at my old store. THo the SCSI I have never seen fail. I have Western Digital and IBM now in my system and they work great. WD is very fast and affordable, tho I have really liked my IBM drives too

sapiens74

Couldn't help noticing the OCZ brand of DDR. What do you make of the commotion at Mad Onion and Mr. Natural's expose about OCZ?

did a search and found a forum on the OCZ article which mad onion had to remove for some reason. Must have been juicy

Apparently, the Mad Onion Management removed the "expose." Mr. Natural, a Timothy Sanders, who is a computer guru and store owner in Florida, became suspicious of OCZ products, quality, and manufacture. He alleges that they are little more than a web operation whose only physical attribute is a storefront in Indiana. He made pictures of their facility, and if true, means that at best OCZ took generic memory and tested for higher quality and represented it as their brand or at worst shipped whatever came their way.

The "expose" was left on the message boards of Mad Onion for a couple of days. Then, it was pulled. There is a remnant of the discussion that seems to be ongoing about freedom of expression and the decision of the administrators of the message board to pull the "expose."