Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
teenguy

Win2k Login Problem

Once i start my system up to the logon screen there is no problem. but after that it's only blue screen. System gets hang

Not able to get into my Desktop.

If i choose the Safe Mode option while login the system gets in without any trouble.

I've activated the automatic logon option in TweakUI. I've been using the TweakUI for a long time. This is the first time i am facing problem like this.

Can any one suggest me a solution for this.

What does the BSOD say ?

Boot to the BSOD with the option "logged", then boot into safe mode and check the fresh log file to see if it gives you a clue as to what is causing the problem. Once you are in safe mode, you might as well take out all startup programs, and set tweakUI back to manual log in.

H

Blue Screen Of Death, common slang for what you so precisely called the blue screen. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

H.

From what he said in the first post, I don't think he's getting a BSOD. I think it's just hanging at the login prompt and displaying that lovely shade of blue that MS chose as the default background colour.

Ooh, I see...

One possible reason could be the feared profile corruption. Can you switch off the TweakUI autologin in safe mode ? (sorry, not at a W2k box now so I can't test it). There is a chance that the logged boot would still tell you something useful, so I'd still go thru that exercise. Installed anything recently ?

Other than that, I don't have many ideas. Wait a while and see if someone else has a useful tip, then I guess your options are to boot from CD and try to repair the install, or find yourself SOL (Sh1t outta luck) and face a reinstall.

H.

Not sure if this will help, but once it hits the wallpaper, try going to task manager, and see what is running under the processes list.

explorer.exe would be a good one to look for. If it is, try killing it, and restarting it (via new task, and typing in explorer).

If it isn't, try manually starting it. This will let you know if something is hanging up the desktop a bit...

Hope it helps.

You said that you have been using TweakUI for quite a while. Did you get the updated version that works with Win 2K? I had a similar log on issue with an older version of TweakUI and Win 2K.

None of the above method works for me.

jrini,

I didn't update the tweakui.

Since I was in great urgent I reinstalled win2k.

Thanks all for posting your answers.