Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deeman

Windows XP Dual Boot Configuration

G'day,

I installed XP Pro a few months ago, apart from hardware/game incompatibilities, it's not 'too' bad.

Because I've got alot've games that won't run under XP, I decided

to install 98 on the system aswell, nothing flashy, just using the

standard Dual Boot configuration.

My only annoyance is that whenever there's something I need under XP, I have to reboot into XP, which all up takes about a minute (I'm not a patient man).

I have a second harddrive which I can put data on so I can access it under both OS's, But I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that will let me switch straight from XP-98 or 98-XP without having to reboot?

I understand this probably is not possible considering that each OS has to load its own files, drivers, hardware etc, but if anyone knows

of anything, I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,

Daniel.

The only thing I can think of that would do what you want is VMware. Unfortunately, the last version of it I used isn't as good as doing a dual boot. I'm not sure if the latest version does, but your hardware isn't recognized as the hardware it is. If you do basic stuff like office apps, it'd be fine, but for gaming that's not gonna be the best. Otherwise, I don't know of anything else that comes close.

In my opinion, a piece of software that could effectively change fully from one OS to another with the click of a mouse and without a reboot would be worth millions.

Hmm there's an idea! hehe.

Thanks for your help anyway.

there is also the virtual pc thing and it basicly does teh same thing as vmware.

it emulates some crummy harware for the "guest" (or whatever the hell their term is) os. i haven't tested it very much, but it might be worth checking it out.

By now , you probably know this, but all versions VMware do not currently support directx or direct sound. Any app or game requiring it will probably fail,as it did in my case.I wanted it for running older games, but unfortunately most of those games require directx. Other than that, Vmware is a very handy tool that loads within another OS.You can install it on XP and run any other OS (W9X,NT,W2K,Linux......)

VPC is better for compatibility than VMware. Unfortunately DirectDraw IS supported unlike Vmware but D3D is not in either emulation software. VESA is nice in VPC but unfortunately the sound is crappy. smile But for compatibility VPC is the only route to go for emulation software.