Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miguel

AOE2 won't work with XP

G'day,

AOEII installed fine, but when I run it I get an error message saying "Age of Empires II has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." No info on what the problem might be of course. My friend just put XP on his computer instead of 98 and has the exact same problem. I have tried the all the compatability options under properties, tried fiddling the graphics settings, all types of installations etc..., the latest patches for AOE2 as well. None seem to work.

Would the new windows XP patches help, or is there some way I can get it to work?

Regards,

Michael

I had it running great in XP with the Conquerors Expansion installed, I did however get the same problem when i used it once with Windows ME but ended up Formatting for a different reason and then i installed it again and it worked. There is an update which you can get here though.

AOE II was made before XP man, it's not gonna work on all boxes running XP, I have games on my pc that just will not work on my friends.

Rather than try and root around with the config on my pc, i just installed a dual boot with 98 to play older games.

"it's not gonna work on all boxes running XP"

Worx just fine on my P2 266 laptop. I'm even playing the Montezuma series *without* cheating. I confessed that to my Priest yesterday, and the guy ran OUT of the booth to check the color of the Moon and the temperature of the seawater.

Actually, it worx a heck of a lot better/faster under NT5.1 than WinMe (dual boot). I get better frame rates with Commandos and Jagged Alliance 2 as well...