Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
viper

Thats NOT true,you can't play games in W2k at all

Hello everybody,

For me W2k is bull**** in case of games !

only one of ten games are runnig .

Direct X is showing me files with version 5.00.2XXX.

I can't understand why all of you are saying that W2k is fine for games.

The new TNT2 3.53 driver are a joke there is not real 3d and opengl support.

Games like UT are runnig NOT without grafic-problem in d3d and with opengl you have a problem with swaping files on the disk.other games like homeworld are not able to use the opengl interface.

other games like TOCA2,NFS4,... are not runnig or crashes my pc with a blue screen.

I have enough about the fuc... W2k.

hopfully the released version will be better.

my pc:

K6-3 450

tyan 1590s via (100mhz fsb)

SB awe64 ISA

TNT2 32mb AGP

don't tell me thats a problem of VIA or AMD,THATS NOT TRUE !

For me Windows2k works great!!!

I don't know how you can have so much problems!!!

Almost all games works!!!

UT runs faster in Win2k then in win98!!!

All except Direct3D works... frown.gif , But OpenGL, 3Dfx, works!!

My pc:

Windows 2000 RC2 2128

PII 266Mhz

96Mb Ram

13,9Gb HD

Voodoo2 12Mb

ATi RAGE IIc AGP (4MB)

------------------

If you can't play all your games inn Win2k, just use Win98. Win2k is not a gaming platform. Win98 and Win Millennium are gaming plattforms smile.gif

Actually, I believe that it IS a gaming platform, like NT x.x should have been.

I'm referring to all the most recent games, not old DOS games.

Now legacy games are another story...those I don't believe should be bothered within to some degree.

my 2 cents.

Viper, your problem is the tnt2. The drivers just aren't that great and installing them to work good is tricky and lucky at best. Very few have it them working. I'm using a voodoo3 3000 and here's a quick list of the games i've personally played:

Unreal Tournament

Quake3

Command & Conquer 2

Draken: Order of the Flame

Age of Empires 2

MDK

Shadowman

Railroad Tycoon

Motocross madness

Pharaoh

Test Drive Off Road 3

Demolition Racer

Dirt Track Racing

Extreme 500

Grand Theft Auto 2

Jagged Alliance

Links LS 2000

Sinistar : Unleashed

Snowmobile Racing Championship 2000

Descent Freespace 2

Fox Sports Nhl2000

I dare you to tell me again that gaming doesn't work in win2k =) People are missing the point here. This is a BETA OS, ie. NOT FINISHED! And we are using hacked/beta 3d card drivers. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but try not to form a strong negative opinion untill you have all the proper information such as a final win2k and final 3d drivers from your 3d card company and then try gaming. Do keep in mind that some games will require patches.

P.S ParaDoX, win2k is a gaming platform or else they wouldn't have put DX in. Remember MS is counting on win2k and the NT kernal to be the future of MS's operating systems therefore game compatability is essential.

heh, MOST games work fine for me under 2128. I got an abit bp6 smp'n to the tune of two overclocked 366's, and the following games work fine that I've played on it so far:

Tiberian Sun

Starcraft

Darkstone

Quake3

Halflife/tfc

Kingpin

And yep, I'm using a voodoo graphics card. Currently a banshee, but hopefully that will turn into a v3 2000 today. smile.gif

Also the only game I HAD to run under 98 as opposed to win2k that I got is system shock2.

Here are the games that don't work for me:

F1 (UBIsoft)

Fly!

Grand Prix Legends

Need For Speed High Stakes

Sports Car GT

USAF

Expendable

Virtual Pool2

These are all the games I own. The only games I could get to work are UT and Quake.

Both of which work in NT4 quite nicely. While I agree that this is a beta OS, it's not looking to promising now. Remember, RC1 is feature complete. Meaning there aren't any new things go in. I find it hard to believe that ALL these games are going to work in the final.

All the games I've tried have worked ths far, just wish I could say the same about my friggen sound card and internet!!

So most of you are saying you could not get D3d to run? I've been trying to get D3d to run on a Riva tnt, but I could only get glide in my voodoo2 card and opengl on the riva.

Webview again you are missing the point. Just because RC1 is feature complete doesn't mean that you are using FINAL, FULLY COMPATABLE drivers from your 3d card manufacturer. Also you may need patches for the games because ALL of those games were coded for win95/98 and may address memory that is in use by win2k or require resources that are in use or may access resources in specific ways that win2k won't allow......need i go on?. The problem is NOT the OS the OS is fully DX Coimpatable. It's your video card drivers and the game itself that are the issues. NOT the OS. Be patient and wait for the final OS and once the final is out wait for the final drivers from your 3d card manufaturer then bother the game developers for a patch if it still not working right.

Till then happy gaming =)

You can add Half-Life to the non-working list too.

Seldzar. I am not "bashing" the OS. I appreciate the work you have done with Win2k. What I am commenting on is that it's probably not the gaming platform of choice (what Microsoft has been touting).

Let's face it compatibility is king. If it wasn't I would be running Linux or Be. I don't want to get into a big debate. It looks like MS won't be the monopoly we have come to know and love!

Thanks again for your help. I was able to get UT working from the files I dl'd from your website!

Seldaz what did it take to get sound in pharoah. I Haven't had any luck with it. unless rc3 is going to be a lot beter i don't see how ms is going to make there release date.

Problems running games? I have yet to experience any problems with Win2k, aside from annoying bugs in Dial-up Networking, and the lack of Direct3D support.

I have a TNT and Dual Voodoo2's, and have run:

Half-Life (Runs great, actually)

Quake2

Unreal Tournament

Age of Empires 2

Essentially anything that ran for me in NT runs in 2K. It's a great OS. Better drivers, and Microsoft will have actually produced a viable platform!

Dear Viper,

seems your W2k is out of date. Directx 5.00.xxxx is only implemented in the early beta-versions, and as you can see, not fully compatible to anything. Try up[censored] with DX7 from http://seldzar.dhs.org/

Good luck!

Hello,

sorry I missed to post my W2k version.

It is RC2 2128 US.

There is DX7 already implemented .

And about the files on the http://seldzar.dhs.org/ site ,it is a fake because these file-version starts also with 5.00.XXXX AND they are older !

W2k tells my that it have to correct them self ! NO SABILITY IS GIVEN ANYMORE !

I my self,whats this?

Hmmm.. I just had to get up on this! Viper, detonator drivers have been released a while ago, version 3.53 i think (not sure, im voodoo3 all the way ;P) but from everyone i have heard they are a miracle for running games, almost all games work, not sure if you have found these drivers as of yet, maybe your still looking for a directx7 final for win2k which can be found on my site (http://win2kbox.8m.com)as well as the detonator drivers, if you need anymore help whatso ever, feel free to post, I will check by any chance I get and help out.

------------------

~ chameleon kyoshiro ~

http://win2kbox.8m.com

Hello Cameleon,

I am still tying to get on your site,...ahhhh smile.gif,

ok I downloaded it,but it is no possible to extract them ( the second one "2" ).I am useing winzip7.0.

by the way, are these files the latest one, and do i have also to confirm to overwrite newer files?

SOOORRRRRYYYYY,

I mean Chameleon

SOOOORRRRYYYYY,

Could you tell my what UPDATED mean? (under the TNTx driver 3.53)

thanks

Viper, Please do a little research before you insult someone. Did you read the readme in the dx7 file? It says to replace older files because my good friend dx7 was finished before these builds of win2k are done. The versions of dx7 in win2k are newer cause MS is still developing it PASSED dx7. The dx7 is NOT A FAKE. I resent that comment. Why the hell would I install a fake file in my pc as well as offer it to everyone else on this board? Not to mention I have had excellent results with that file and so have many other people. I have upgraded win2k from 2128 to 2151 to 2167 and in each instance it did NOT overwrite those *old* files with newer ones....hmmmm whys that?? It should overwrite fake files shouldn't it? Well geee maybe it's cause there are the proper final dx7 files. So get off your ass and try them out. BTW the dx7 files you are dopwnloading from chameleon is the exact same as mine.

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 09 November 1999).]

Hello Seldzar,

It is not up to me to critisize you or somebody else on this forum, maybe I took the wrong words,it is nerver easy to find them when your nativ language is not english.

A fake is for me, when isn't it what it says.

e.g. a new file is old.

but for me is don't have to be bad.

I am only a little confuced about some posts here,where they say that w2k is like perfect,but it isn't.

and please don't dare me,you told me that I don't have to forgett that w2k is beta until now,but please read my first post,I sayed that I hope the released version will be better.I am a beta tester of other software and my meaning is to say more bad things about there product than the good thing,because only this way is the best to move something.

And don't forgett on feb. they will start to ship w2k, that mean they have to stop test on jan. latest. Accept the hollydays there is no much time anymore.

best regards

Viper

updated means that the old drivers were 3.52 and now they are 3.53 so they are updated, also you need to delete the .zip extension and just leave the .rxx, also use winrar from www.rarsoft.com to extract, its not that confusing but im going to use a better place to store my files soon, freeservers.com is too restricting! ;(

chameleon.gifhttp://win2kbox.8m.com

[This message has been edited by chameleon (edited 09 November 1999).]