Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Harry

How do I get rid of dual connections ???

Helped a friend to set up a XP machine on a LAN with two other machines and a Linksys cable/DSL router connected to a cable modem. DHCP is running.

Everything works BUT for some reason there are two network connections, one "Internet Connection" and one "Local Area Connection". This causes a constant LAN traffic of 5,5 kB/Sec which is highly annoying.

If I tinker with the disabling of the internet connection a few times, it shows up as disabled but we still have access to the internet and the LAN traffic dissappears. I cannot delete the connection.

How can I fix this ?

Am I correct in assuming there should only be ONE network connection (the LAN connection) like it was when that machine was still running W2K ?

H

Hey guys, can somebody please confirm if XP is supposed to have both an "Internet Connection" and one "Local Area Connection" when a LAN is connected through a router (Linksys Cable/DSL BFSR41)

Is this normal ? Or should I just see the LAN connection as I did with W2K ?

H.

H.

Wow, good thing you bumped it again... smile

I have the same router, and all I have are LAN connections on my XP (2K, NT, etc) clients. If you have one NIC and no ICS, then I wouldn't see why you would have that.

I'm curious, have you ever shut down and moved the NIC w/out uninstalling it? I have had several phantom connections appear this way, and likewise with phantom hardware in device manager (only know it's there because the new device is called "NIC #2 or NIC #3, and so forth)

Yeah... I am having the exact same problem too....

Have you figured it out?

Sixpac

Thanks guys, at least I know its wrong !

ICS is not enabled, and I have not removed the NIC. Device manager is showing up OK.

No, I haven't figured it out, and worst of all I can't really get rid of it either. Thanks to your posts I now know its wrong. I've also switched to static IP's on the LAN, and still the damned thing is there. The delete option is unavailable. Apart from the internal LAN traffic the internet connection is operational only after 10-20 seconds after boot.

Any ideas how to fix this thing?

H.

Have you looked in the device manager and selected "show hidden devices"? Also, do you have any firewall software installed on the machine?

Nothing that looks suspicious in the device manager, hidden or not. Or, perhaps...maybe... what is this "3COM Etherlink blabla NIC (3C905C-TX)-Packet Scheduler Miniport" that has surfaced as a hidden device beneath the real thing? Don't think I ever saw it before, the W2K PC doesn't have it. Other hidden devices here are five WAN miniports (IP, IP packet scheduler, L2TP, PPOE, PPTP) but they are normal, aren't they ? The W2K machine does not have the PPOE or the IP packet scheduler miniports, only the three others.

No firewall installed, I'm trying to fix this on a PC with a fresh install. In fact, I just wiped everything and did a re-install of XP (with the cable modem unplugged) but the problem persists. Could it be that I'm missing a setting in the Linksys device ? Running with static IP's now.

If I wipe the needless "internet connection" from the registry a reboot brings it back. Annoying.

Grateful for all help, I'm at my wits end.

H.

All the above is (again) exactlly the same as my computer.

Sixpac

Well I decided to re-install XP (fresh) and guess what! The damn thing showed up again.

I switched to DSL just before it showed up and when I did a re-install it came back.

With @home (cable) it never showed up.

Does it have anything to do with my DSL over Shaw cable modem?

sixpac

Don't know what a "DSL over Shaw cable modem" is, but I doubt that this problem has anything to do with whatever comes after the Linksys box. With W2K we only see one connection, and I didn't change a thing except OS when this first happened. I have a strong sence its also causing a slower internet connection and lots of package loss so I just have to get rid of it.

Sixpac, are you using static IP's ? Just wonder because I do and were asked first by the XP installation to put them in and later also by the Windows wizard. Something is not right there... but on the other hand I had this problem when running DHCP also.

H.

I just ment that I have a Telus Velocity DSL modem now... its a Dlink DSL 3001... over (since) having my Shaw Cable modem.

I think it may be my DSL modem but maybe its my Linksys router after uploading the latest firmware to it?

perhaps???

sixpac

The tracks are leading me towards the Linksys too. With newer firmware they are UPnP devices, and I think that this is what is causing the problem. But why does it not occur in W2K? I guess disabling the UPnP is next on the list. BTW, did another reinstall leaving the network cable unplugged, but it didn't help either.

Clutch (or soemone else w one connection only) what firmware are you running on that Linksys ?

H

Quote:

I am using 1.40.2, if that's any help.

I am using version 1.42.3, Jan 28 2002.

Well I think I figured it out.

Goto your Linksys router setup page.

On the tabs goto password.

Then in the UPnP Services check Disable.

Click continue.

my internet connection icon disapeared from my sys tray right before my eyes!

Here is the official text from the Manual from Linksys:

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) allows Windows XP to automatically configure the Router for various Internet applications, such as gaming and videoconferencing. Click the radio button next to Enable to enable UPnP Services, or Disable to disable UPnP Services.

Sixpac

WHOOOO-AAAAAAAA

That did it. And stupid me who was tinkering with the windoze UpnP stettings and services.

Thanks,

H.

Cool eh! So notice any difference in speed? I don't. I guess it was sort of a fakeout but its interesing in the least that it made that connection show up in XP.

Well rocking on here LOL

sixpac

You can also disable "SSDP Discovery Service" which is for discovery of UPNP devices.

It also detects an ICS server (for controlling it remotely or monitoring it's status).

It's one of the first things I disabled when I installed XP. Payed off too - You probably heard about the recent security threats with UPNP.

Quote:

You can also disable "SSDP Discovery Service" which is for discovery of UPNP devices.
It also detects an ICS server (for controlling it remotely or monitoring it's status).

It's one of the first things I disabled when I installed XP. Payed off too - You probably heard about the recent security threats with UPNP.

Cool... but how do you do it?

6pac

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Set "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" to manual and "SSDP Discovery Service" to disabled (to stop it from starting).

For more service tweaks (I consider service tuning to be the main thing to do for your OS in terms of speed/security), Check out APK's Tuning Guide here on NTCompatible.

Quote:

So notice any difference in speed? I don't.

Yep, for me the first connection is now almost instant (on cable) previously it took about 10 precious secs to start the internet (first time only) after a reboot.

Also, the constant LAN traffic of 5,5 kB/sec disappears. Small but annoying.

H.

Found one little problem with this, Ping and Tracert (externally) don't work anymore. Internet is fine though, so I guess its just the Linksys box that is not permitting ICMP. ANyone have an idea how to get that to work ?

H.

Quote:

Found one little problem with this, Ping and Tracert (externally) don't work anymore. Internet is fine though, so I guess its just the Linksys box that is not permitting ICMP. ANyone have an idea how to get that to work ?

H.

Don't know... because I just tried pinging my mail server at work and ping and tracert worked fine for me.

6pac