Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dakiler

HPT66 on BP6 Not working for me.

When I install the dma66 driver for my IBM dma66 HD, my system will only boot up halfway, and then it just stalls..

I have downloaded the latest beta bios for my bp6 and installed the driver that came with the new bios. I use W2k build 2072.

Any ideas about my problem?

Are u using your ATA66 to boot the system? If so then it is what suppose to happen. Drivers don't support boot under Win2k. But if u boot of ya ATA33 controller and then just access a drive on ATA66 the I never herd of problems

nope...I use a dma33 hd to boot up on. If I disconnect the dma66 drive, then w2k boots´s up fine again.

just cant figure it out... :-(

me neither, with build 2072, 2099, 2114, sodont waste ur time trying fellas. Abits supposed to release soem new drivers... so lets keep our fingers crossed.

I did update my Bios and drivers, if any of u guys get success doing theis please tell me, Ill reflash my board and Ill do the drivers again, Im using a 7200 rPM 18 gigger from WD ata 66

there are official highpt66 drivers. just go over to betanews.com and serch for em.. Tehy work great. I dont suggest using a beta bios though. Im stay wary of those, but the drivers work well.. smile

My ATA66 controller on Abit BP6 is version 1.09 does anyone knows where I can get bios update for a 1.10 version ?

I used to have it but deleted it by mistake before flashing the bios frown

the betanews drivers didnt work for me. Im running rc1, I got rc2 but it doesnt do d3d with the TNT frown. I installed the new drivers plugged in an old 2.2 gig drive which Im not using and as usual it hung half way through boot up.

I am pretty sure I already updated it but how do I check the bios on my 66 controller?

Jst after the memory count u see the ATA66 controller BIOS screen where it lists all (if any) devices atached to it. In the 1st line it says the version number

I boot to a SCSI drive with my WD ATA66 as the next drive. RC2 boots, but it takes a loooonnng time, it sits there for about 3 min, but once it boots it seems fine.

I am using the latest beta BIOS from firing squad and the latest drivers from betanews for the HTP366.

I have finally seen the light. Well, for at least 24 hours now. Just got the HPT366 working as the boot drive under RC1. Can't tell you how happy I am. My girlfriend is gonna kill me for stayin' up soo late last night. Anyways, here's how:

Beta bios 2

HPT bios 1.10

Highpoint beta drivers 1.00.5

I installed on the ide33 channels w/ an ide cd. After getting all the drivers setup, I changed my IBM DJNA18GB drive to the hpt366-channel 4. It took about two minutes and she loaded into RC1. Also, I used the latest SB Live drivers, except I only used the drivers for the PCI Interface and not the WDM Live drivers that were already loaded by RC1. I also used the TNT RC2 drivers for my TNT2U. I only changed the controllers after getting everything dialed in first!

AGP - TNT2U

PCI1 - none

PCI2 - SB Live

PCI3 - none

PCI4 - Intel Pro100

PCI5 - none

ISA2 - modem

The printer port and com port 1 were both disabled. No irq's were shared except for the nic card, which by the way left the usb w/ a "?" in the device manager. Both ide33 channels are enabled right now, though I'll probably disable one of them as long as the HPT366 doesn't share w/ the usb.

I got all the drivers from bp6.com. Also, the HPT366 should definitely not share w/ anything else, otherwise it'll hang.

I hope this is useful smile

Got my hpt366 working fine as the boot disk with a wd expert 18gig drive. Installed rc1 on the ata33 controller, flashed the bios to 1.10 and loaded the 1.00.5 drivers. Found the boot ini hack on the bp6 message board, switched it to ide3 and it works. It is fast, too, no boot delays at all (I was getting a long one on the ata33). It is even sharing an irq with my sb live! value. Not a single lockup yet. Here is a copy of my boot.ini. I have win2k on the d: partition:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Hope this helps.

I tryed your advise frown The windows booted after about 15 minutes but it seemed as if the FONT directory wasn't accesable cuz windowz was using some funky fonts and just looked plain wired. I rebooted the system and it felt as if Win2k(2128) sefl-distracted. The only way i could load it again, even off ATA33, was by full re-install frown

I finally have mine working under RC1 (2072). I downloaded the new Controller Bios from www.bp6.com and it works fine to boot from. I did find that I had to reformat my second harddisk that was NTFS to FAT32. Hard lockup as NTFS but boots fine now.

My primary HD is Maxtor 11.5g ATA/33 and my second one is WD 8.4g ATA/66

Igor:

I suspect you might either have an early BP6 or one that is not quite that stable. I have since swapped out my BP6 I bought back in August for one from this month. Needless to say, I have much fewer lockups and intermittant boot problems.

From this, I suspect that yield quality in BP6's varies greatly. I consult for a local shop which lets me raid their back room. I've tested some BP6's. Old ones generally have more problems, not to mention overclock poorly.

I was testing chips this week. I had a plot of 10 Celeron 400's. They all seemed to be limited to 552 6x92FSB on my old BP6. I took them home to do some serious o/c'ing. I later found that when they were in my BP6 manufactured in Sep., most were able to go to 570 6x95 2.2v, and two made it to 594 6x99 2.3v.

So, if you can try to get a newer or different BP6

frown I wish I could. But $205 Canadian is not that cheap for me smile. I got my board just at the end of August, maybe 25th or 30th. My celeron 366 does 550 at 2.10 but no lower and 2.2 with Duel CPU and the board ain't 100% stable. (even at stock speed) Do u think ABIT might exchange it?

Igor:

I tried those new beta 1.20 bios and drivers on the old BP6. I was hoping to salvage it cause I haven't gotten around to returning it yet. Anyways, to make a long story short: the new software works, er and firmware works. That old board would sometimes choke just turning on and would take like two days to boot into W2K. Now w/ the new stuff, RC1 has never booted faster. It absoluuutely rocks! Download them from BP6.com. Also, everything seems pretty tight, though I'm only using 300a celerons clocked to 464. I like it.

Ya, me 2 smile up and running with my 18gig ata66 drive under RC2. Booting in no time smile

I'm sooooooo happy