Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Me

Win2k/Win98 networking

im trying to network win2k 2072 and win98. i can see the other computer from here and i can see this one from the win98 box. i can browse around other computer but if i try get into this computer it asks for a password. what pass word does it want. i tried the administrator pass with no luck. tried guest.

i have file/print sharing turned on on both machines. i have a drive on this one setup for sharing. when i try to connect to this one, the dialog comes up asking for the password and the resource is listed as \\computer_name\\IPC$

any thoughts?

try uninstalling file and print sharing and makeing new shares and see whut that does

ik@deconstructed.net

------------------

Ugh

What services do you need ot have on to see other computers because i get an error that there are no servers on when i go into the workgroup. I have a 4 comp, lan. I also get the same error, because the other comp can see me but they cant get in because of the password.

win98 and 95 use your defualt login for authentication to other peer to peer machines. the easiest thing to do is to create a matching account on you w2k machine with no password (or a password if you use one to login to your 9x machine) and give it permissions to your w2k shares.

in 98 you MIGHT be able to go into your windows\profiles dir to find out what your defualt login is.

First, you have to actually share the drive like you do in win98. The default shares do not work (with the $ signs in them), you have to create a new share.

After that, go to the Users & Passwords in the control panel. Check the user must enter password and name box. This will allow you to add users. Click add user. For username enter the name of the computer on the network that you want to allow access, the other 2 fields can be left blank, then just follow the prompts for the rest of the stuff.

No, the problem is, that the other pc's are sharing in user-level(don't know if it's right translated, just have german win98). It's the last tab in the Network Properties of Win98. First solution is to login your pc on the domain server. You can do that, by going to the properties of the Client for Microsoft Networks. Second, switch every pc back to share-level.

JFK.

Bigfitty is correct.

For example: If you log onto your Win2K machine with the username "BILL" and then log onto your Win98 machine with the username "MARY", you will never be able to access anything on the Win2K machine because there is no user "MARY" defined on the Win2K computer.

If you noticed, when you tried to access a network resource on the Win2K computer from the Win98 computer, it didn't ask you for a username and password. It only asked you for a password. The computer was automatically using the user name "MARY".

Simply make sure that you define in the user manager all the users that you want to have access to the Win2K computer. If you want "MARY" to have access to the Win2K computer from another computer, then just create a user "MARY" on the Win2K computer.

Hope this helps.