Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shakedown

Winxp + Nero = No Cd-rom

For those who installed Nero and now have no CD-ROM drives:

After installing WINXP and Nero 5.5.5.1 all my CD-ROM drives were not working. They all showed in Device manager with the yellow !. It said the drivers were there, but the hardware could not be started.

I removed Nero and the drives came back. I then installed Nero 5.5.4.0 and it seems to work fine. Upgraded to 5.5.5.1 and the drives were gone again. Guess I'm staying with 5.5.4.0 until it can be resolved.

Just my $.02

You were luckier than I was. Uninstalling Nero did nothing to bring my CD drives back to life. I was forced to do a complete wipe and reinstall. It was a pain ***, and because of it I'll never use Nero again. In the end it was worth it, I ended up buying a phat 100GB drive; might as well go all out laugh

P3 1Ghz

512MB Ram

VisionTek Geforce 3 (220 core, 500 mem)

WD 100GB Hd

Maxtor 60GB Hd

NEC DVD

Aopen 12x10x32

SB!Live

ATI TV Wonder VE

If 5.5.4.0 is working then wouldn't the ASPI drivers be there?

Are there newer ones that are not included in 5.5.5.1, but it uses?

So what is the 'safest' CD making/copying software to use in Windows XP. I use East CD Creator 5 Plat. But Ive read in magazines that it can kill Windows XP/2K and to use Nero! I have Nero 5.5.5.1 but I wont be putting it on, yet.

And where can you get the latest (official) ASPI drivers. I got some from someones web page thats seemed like a dodgy hacked version that you needed to run bat file and then the installer..?

And that poor excuse that MS has put in XP to burn to CD's is *****, it doesnt close the cds and they arent readable in DOS. So when I tried to install XP off a disc it wouldnt read.

Well the "best" is pretty much a user preference.

Like I stated above, I did install Nero 5.5.4.0 and it works fine. From a user standpoint I see no difference between 5.5.4.0 and 5.5.5.1.

Hi

5.5.5.1 works fine for me.

Did have a problem with 5.5 which had a user permission problem. Tech support told me they had removed this feature. Installed 5.5.5.1 and it ran fine.

vampy

Nero 5.5.5.1 works always works fine for me. I've installed it on different WinXP's 5 or 6 times so far. I always install an ASPI layer first. I don't know if this makes any difference or not.

Advanced SCSI Programming Interface!

CDrom software use it to communicate with the drive.

vampy

I was wondering if others had the vanishing CD-Rom problem. Thank God for System Restore! I will try adding another ASPI layer before my next reinstall. Very scary to see both of my drives gone!

BTW, also noticed that the record tab on XP vanishes if I update the IDE driver from Via. Bad.

Edit, no dice. WinXP uses ASPI layer 4.57, and I replaced them with 4.60. Reinstalled Nero, no drives. Again, I am really starting to love system restore! Nero 5.5.5.1 is supposed to be XP compatible, so why is it messing up my system?

In my opion i like the burning software that comes with xp i still have aspi installed but for me the built in burner software works like a champ

Quote:

For those who installed Nero and now have no CD-ROM drives:

After installing WINXP and Nero 5.5.5.1 all my CD-ROM drives were not working. They all showed in Device manager with the yellow !. It said the drivers were there, but the hardware could not be started.

I removed Nero and the drives came back. I then installed Nero 5.5.4.0 and it seems to work fine. Upgraded to 5.5.5.1 and the drives were gone again. Guess I'm staying with 5.5.4.0 until it can be resolved.

Just my $.02

My 2 CDRW & Cdrom were gone too.....
What Cause it?
when i went to Microsoft and downloaded the CDR BURNER upgrade for XP.
why ?
cause Nero installed an image drive so the microsoft upgrade looks for the drivers for all CDROM, but it cannot find the nero image drive and Cdrom don't need driver anyway.

but anyway, my problem was fixed by deleting these 2 filters in regedit.
For Music Recording There Is Nothing Compare To Easy Cd Creator as for copying games there is Fireburner & Clone Cd.
So Who Needs Nero?

I always run XP and Nero and never had a problem

XP professional and Nero 5.5.5.1 work fine

no aspi drivers are needed for Nero since it has its own included.

(default install)

ps Realtino :

the best way to **** up ANY windows version is to use easy cd creator

I don't think I ever came across a worse program than this.

Easy CD creator works perfect on my system, unless i insert a cd when it says initializing engine... lol

Plus there are some updates for it on rioxo.com

frown Just broke down and reinstalled Easy CD Creator 5. frown I need my packet writing, and Nero hides my drives. frown I wanted to try InCD, but I cannot. Direct CD is back.

Rioxo is getting gay. They won't release the XP updates for free to people that have the platinum version well, they won't put them up to everyone you have to register with their gay selves kinda stupid. As for that stupid program in itself i hate it, never had more problems with burning software than that. I like and use Nero for burning regular data CDs. For images i use cdrwin because cloneCD doesnt like my drives and won't rip .ccd images for me. Nero burns better for me in normal thread priority than GayCD Creator does in high priority. Plus that program is a memory hog and a half.

Well if you didnt have a dodgy copy of Easy CD Creator and you werent scared of registering it then you could update it and get it working perfectly...

All software needs up[censored] now and then...

ThC 129, what do you mean? The Roxio drivers for XP are freely available on site, and I do not recall registering. I wish I could use Nero, but not until they fix the vanishing CD-Roms problem.

Quote:

ThC 129, what do you mean? The Roxio drivers for XP are freely available on site, and I do not recall registering. I wish I could use Nero, but not until they fix the vanishing CD-Roms problem.

Well as far as i know Direct Cd always means trouble so i guess the reason Easy Cd Creator work (always) wonderful with me, is cause i do custom instalation of Easy Cd i refuse to install all that craps but the recording & label creating.

Nero is the 1 and only reason for your cd-rom to be gone.

Nothing work so easy as to record music like Easy Cd Creator (i don't work for Roxio).

More than 1000 cd's (audio & Data) already recorded ALL with Easy Cd Creator.

I am running Win XP with CloneCD, Easy CD Creator 5.02b, CDrWin4.0b, and the I installed Nero 5.5.5.6. That instantly screwed up my system. I had the same problems as those of you above who lose the ability to use ANY of their CD-Rom drives. Same thing here --> they show up in the device manager w/yellow marks , but my system couldn't find them. I had to re-install Win XP because just un-installing Nero didn't work. Best advice I can give (which I got from a few very smart experts) is not to use any Nero above 5.5.4.0. Both Nero's 5.5.5.1 and 5.5.5.6 WILL most likely screw up your system, big-time!! ***** the Cat (WTC=software GOD) from The Software Cracking Forum said if you have to use Nero, only use 5.5.4.0!

Goodluck all

I use a combination of CloneCD and EasyCd Creator (without any updates, I have em just not installed em). And this works fine for me in Windows XP.