Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
worldgate989

Final Fantasy 7 (Specific Problem)

Install Win95/98 on a partition. This is the only way around all problems. I'm seriously considering doing this.

OK, this is weird, my FF7 has stopped working completely. No matter how many times I click the icon or even the executable it just stops dead. It doesn't even give me the message that none of the CDs are in the drive. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it multiple times. Does anyone have an idea as to what might me going on?

More bad news...

Just upgraded to Directx 8.1. Now the avi during the game doesn't play at all. Gets corrupted screen and bypasses the movie.

So if you want to watch the scenes, don't install Directx8.1

PS. TheLastOne.. my FF7 doens't work in Win98. When I run it, it reboots the damn computer. Any pointers in getting it to run? Btw, my graphic card is Geforce2 Ultra

What in the hell was Eidos smoking when they ported ff7 to the pc? I get the same problem in xp that i get with 2000. The game locks up at the chocobo races. I emailed eidos tech support and all they could tell me is that they WILL NOT make any patches for 2000 or XP for existing games. Also, they said they would only provide support to 9x users because that's what the game was ported for. Then they added that it was microsoft's responsibility to provide compatibility, which i agree with, but microsoft doesn't give a rat's butt that we can't play ff7. The moral of this story: we are screwed.

Sanz, thats odd, although I haven't tired it myself yet (I installed Win 98), but Win 98 is supposed to be a supported OS of FF7.

I think I'm gonna get the PS version and bleem! It. Problems solved.

Quote:

Then they added that it was microsoft's responsibility to provide compatibility, which i agree with, but microsoft doesn't give a rat's butt that we can't play ff7. The moral of this story: we are screwed.

Well, to be fair to M$ (something I rarely do) I have to say that they've done their bit:

http://www.vianet.net.au/~weber/ff7.jpg (image is too big to post)

and to a certain extent those fixes work, there is a note in the compatibility lists that some guy was able to play the game the whole way through.

To be perfectly honest I've given up, it stopping completely was the last straw (I think it has something to do with installing Connectix Virtual PC but I'm not sure), the only way I'm going to get it working again is to reformat and reinstall and I'm not prepared to waste 3 days doing that so I uninstalled it, I'm going to get the PlayStation version and play it on my PS2, I don't have time for this crap.

Well, first off that link doesn't work.

Second, if you have a PS2 than WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO USE THE PC one?

I'll try bleem tomorrow.

Quote:

Well, first off that link doesn't work.

OK, I fixed that. I thought the pic had uploaded when it hadn't.

Quote:
Second, if you have a PS2 than WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO USE THE PC one?

Because I got the PC one first.

Hey guys,

I know I said that I'd do some tests with different video cards and some different fix attempts in WinXP to see what results I could come up with. I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to doing so; I've been bogged down with midterms and other stuff frown

But, I haven't abandoned this fight yet. People have said that they've gotten it to work in WinXP (fully), and I'm gonna try to narrow down exactly how it was done.

Has anyone tried using Microsoft's supplied drivers, as opposed to a Detonator / other DLed driver?

I've conned myself into reinstalling it as well since I don't like to leave problems unresolved. Through experimentation I've discovered that whatever is causing FF7 to stop executing gets loaded as part of a Diagnostic Setup (which means its probably not a service or anything that loads into my systray) but doesn't get loaded in Safe Mode. Does anyone know what I'm looking for and can recommend tools to help me find it?

I figured out what was causing FF7 to stop functioning on my machine: I was playing around with the Application Verifier thingo and accidently left some dud settings floating around. LSD = freak5.gif

Well, while we've all been kicking around in this message posting, it would appear that someone (I presume AMDFreak) has been solving our problems behind our backs laugh

In the compatibility list, I noticed this posting under FFVII/XP. I assume it's the work of our good friend smile

I haven't had a chance to try these instructions out myself, but I'll move them here to make them a little more visible. If anyone else can try these out, and post whether they have good luck or not, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks AMDFreak (I think that's who posted these instructions, as they're reminiscent of his earlier suggestions)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Works 99.9% perfect! Ocasionally the Chocobo Racing will crash the game, so make sure to svae before you try. If it does crash, restart the game and try again (trust me it DOES work wink )

Also, ALL subgames work flawlessly smile

One last thing, DISABLE FSAA and Atmospheric filtering, these SEVERLY degrades picture uality in the game. Here's the instructions!

1) Install, Maximum Install, exclude DirectX5 and the Yamaha SoftSynthesiser.

2) Install the Application Compatibility toolkit from the XP CD (ACT2.exe).

3) Reboot

4) Apply the following patch to make the movies the right way up smile - http://www.eidosinteractive.com/support/patchinfo.html?ptid=16

5) Start the Application Compatibility Toolkit (START > PROGRAMS > Application Compatibility Toolkit > QFIXAPP

6) Click BROWSE and select your ff7.exe, click OK

7) Double click Win98 from the list of settings in the ACT.

8) Click Run! If you have any specific problems, post a message to me in the forums, im always lurking around there smile

Yep, that was me who posted those instructions, I was gonna post them here on the forum but ive been hella ill and hadn't got the chance (feeling much better now tho, thanks smile )

If anyone needs any help, I will be lurking around (like usual)

Lemme know

AMDFreak

Ok, I tried to comment on as much as I could.

Quote:

PS. Does anybody now where to buy FFVII for PC online ? Only place I could find it was eidos.com and they charge for shipping to Europe (the game is .99 !), the Europe based Eidos don't have it smirk

I had that problem, in the end, I bought a copy Second Hand. Best £15 i ever spent smile

Quote:

Well today I tried 5 different drivers trying to get FF7 to work. The 12.41s, 12.90s, 14.10s, 21.83s and 22.50s. No change in either 3d- or software-mode. This is slowly starting to tick me off. What drivers do have if you can get FF7 to work? My screen is still black, the only thing I see is the blue talk-boxes....

Ive got it working with the 12.41 (Asus Retail) and the 22.xx series.

Quote:

More bad news...

Just upgraded to Directx 8.1. Now the avi during the game doesn't play at all. Gets corrupted screen and bypasses the movie.

So if you want to watch the scenes, don't install Directx8.1

PS. TheLastOne.. my FF7 doens't work in Win98. When I run it, it reboots the damn computer. Any pointers in getting it to run? Btw, my graphic card is Geforce2 Ultra

WinXP comes with the FINAL DirectX 8.1. You dont need to install the one for Win2k on it, its been known to cause serious issues.

Quote:

Sanz, thats odd, although I haven't tired it myself yet (I installed Win 98), but Win 98 is supposed to be a supported OS of FF7.

I think I'm gonna get the PS version and bleem! It. Problems solved.

Bleem = No More frownhttp://www.bleem.com

Quote:

OK, I fixed that. I thought the pic had uploaded when it hadn't.

Aint it a killer when that happens laugh

The above may be me just blabering, but :P

Heyo AMDFreak,

Just one question for you:

If the chocobo races crash on you (as you said they sometimes do), do you have to reboot your computer and try again, or can you just start up FFVII immediately again, and take another shot at it?

I finally took some time aside to try out your method on my parents' computer (I would have used mine, but unfortunately, I'm still running 2000 -- haven't had the time to install XP on mine yet). Although all the other mini-games seem to work perfectly, the chocobo races still crashed as soon as I entered them (the music kept running, but there was no image, and the program died the moment I pressed Enter or Esc).

And, another note that may be of use to some people: You may have to install the movie player from the FFVII install menu in order to view the movies smile

(That is, if you didn't install DirectShow during the installation process).

Thankies!

I do the step to play the game, but I have I little problem, I can Not Use my MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro (USB), Why?

I resolve the problem of the game pad, but the game crash when i get to the chocobo race

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP I can't play, I do what you said before, but everytime I go to the chocobo race the game crash, the only thing i do diferent is disable "emulate joytisck" help please I restarteds the game and its the first time i go to the gold saucer frownfrownfrown

I have yet to figure out a workaround for the chocobo races (besides dual-boot, hehe)

Sorry

Quote:

Heyo AMDFreak,

Just one question for you:
If the chocobo races crash on you (as you said they sometimes do), do you have to reboot your computer and try again, or can you just start up FFVII immediately again, and take another shot at it?

I finally took some time aside to try out your method on my parents' computer (I would have used mine, but unfortunately, I'm still running 2000 -- haven't had the time to install XP on mine yet). Although all the other mini-games seem to work perfectly, the chocobo races still crashed as soon as I entered them (the music kept running, but there was no image, and the program died the moment I pressed Enter or Esc).

And, another note that may be of use to some people: You may have to install the movie player from the FFVII install menu in order to view the movies smile
(That is, if you didn't install DirectShow during the installation process).

Thankies!

Recently the Chocobo Races no longer work, im trying to find what caused them to work and isolate some way of developing a fix. When it does crash I just need to restart the game and all is go. For the time being, I play all my Chocobo races on my little brothers AMD K6-2 with Voodoo3 ^_^

I'll let you know as and when I come up with anything

L8r!
AMDFreak

Thanks for your response AMDFreak smile

Hmm, this is very odd. I wish we could isolate a fix somehow. Oh well, thank you for your attempts. Maybe it'll come to one of us someday cool

Well, anyhow, I'm gonna move up to WinXP in about a week here, and I'm gonna grab PartitionMagic while I'm at it and make a small 98SE dual boot, since I can't think of any better way to make this work.

Then I'll install FF7 under both OSes to the exact same directory (ie. FF7\ on my Win98 drive), and then I can run the game from both OSes (with only one copy of it installed). So I'll be able to play mostly from WinXP, and then whenever I need to race on big bird, I'll just switch on over to 98 for the race. Not the most elegant solution, but I'm sort'a stuck here, hehe.