Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

WinXP and Me network peace anyone?

Ok,thanx again. I'll look into all that tommorow. right now i need to sleep. its 12:00 am.m here in Cheney,WA!!!!

anyways, thanx for helping me BIG TIME. I really do appreciate it. i owe ya dude!

Post how your "streaming" is going along. I keep all my MP3s (3000+) on a single server at home, and I play them on my workstations from that. I am interested in hearing what your performance is like.

Surprisingly enough, I just tried playing the same mp3s using a different laptop that's running WIndows Me, and it works great! Apparently, there is something messed up somewhere with the oter laptop!!! The funny thing is, they are both the exact same laptops, apart from hard drive capacity and RAM! (Compaq presario 1700). So it seems like the Mp3s are streaming fine!

Its not mine to redo! if it WAS, I would slap on 2k or XP on there no questions asked. I HATE 9x/Me but loooove NT/2k/XP.

Well my room nate is an ELI student. Explaining the word "network" itself to him may be a real challeng. Besides, he seems pretty happy with his current set up, oh well.

As for Windows NT, one could argue that linux-based systems may be faster for netwroking purposes, but I hate linux myself, and I prefer Windows NT myself, regardless of which OS may be faster. If NT is faster, great! If not, Linux sux anyways!!

lol

I certainly do agree that Linux has improvd A LOT, even though I am a mere beginner at it. I'm running Mandrake 8.0 as well as XP on this old machine. However, Does Linux match up to compete against windows as a DESKTOP (again, DESKTOP) OS? by far not! I agree that hardware support also needs a buttload of work for linux. Also, Linux is not as "easy to use" as microsoft claims windows to be! Try adding a sound card not supported by your kernel. you'd have to "re-compile the kernel". Even I don't know how ot do that, but I CAN figure out Windows NT/2k/P no prob!

So far, i think the best OS has come up with was Win2k. And i mean OS, not just a GUI shell over DOS as in win9x/Me!

Quote:
So far, i think the best OS has come up with was Win2k. And i mean OS, not just a GUI shell over DOS as in win9x/Me!

There's a typo. I forgot the word "Microsoft". here is the corrected verion

So far, i think the best OS MICROSOFT has come up with was Win2k. And i mean OS, not just a GUI shell over DOS as in win9x/Me!

Hmm, interesitng. I heard people going crazy about the new MacOsX but haven't seen any demos yet. I kinda don't like Macs, but maybe that umay change if I get my hands on some of these demos. As far as I know right now, OSs before X suffered gereatly from incompatibility issues and proprietary issues too, but Like i said, that could have all changed in X, who knows. I'll check out some demos some time. Now, I'm struggling with Visual C++ trying to prevent it from skipping over a function call!

Fun, huh? NOOOO!

No salutes please! I'm doing this for one of my MANY classes for Computer Science, so I don't know if i truly "deserver" a salute. I'm checking out the MacOSX stuff right now (even though I should be working on my C++ assignment)