Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emthompson

Pop-up adds?

Every couple of minutes I get adds poping up through IE. I thought that it was some kind of spyware so I ran Ad-aware 5.5 to try and get rid of them. This didn't work. I am still getting adds every couple of minutes. Sometimes there is only one add some times up to 5. Has anyone else experienced these pop-up adds and if you did were you able to get rid of them?

which sites are u at when this happens?

it usually happens when u are at sites like tripod where ppls homepages have pop up ads. so when one ad opens u would usually close them stright away, but this is not the case as another one will pop up.

to stop this from happening just minimise the first pop-up ad and others will stop popping up since u already have one open.

personally pop up ads r the WORSE form of advertising and really p*sses off a lot of ppl.

I dont even have to have IE up and it will still bring up adds. I could be just using photoshop or any other application and they will pop-up. I dont even have to be using any applications and they will still pop-up.

If you don't find out fast what you have and cure it I'd say reformat the whole drive!

If you have a permanent dial-up connection (always on) - disable it and see if the adds still pop up. If you use the dial up service - are the ads popping up when you're off-line ? Make very sure that your modem is inactive when the ads pop up (i.e. that your pc is not calling anywhere)

After doing this you'll know if the ads are coming from your HD or from the net. Check the task manager / processes what is active, you should be able to see the % go up as the pop up loads.

Whatever it is you have it sounds nasty. There used to be a scam where you were lurked to down a proggy that used your modem to call home at odd times, and home was a high charge **** line in the Caribbean. By the time you got your phone bill it was so many pages that they had to bring it with a truck ! I'd guess this is dead now, but you could have some new variation.

BTW, what are the ads for ? If they are for a legit product or service I would be less concerned...

H

I am on DSL, I will disable it and see if they still pop-up. As for trying to see what it is through processes, I tried that. When they pop-up it only shows IE at about 40%. These adds are for legit things like credit cards and web sites and shopping places. I thought that it was SongSpy that was causing the pop-ups. So i uninstalled it, it seemed to work but then last night I got one add. It has definately slowed down. That is really all the info I have about this thing.

Your mention of Songspy prompted this reply. Look on your system for a file MSBB.exe. I believe that this is causing your problem with volunteer ad's. Remove this file and you should be okay.