Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
carpetmonster

Problems with GA-7ixe4 Mobo

Hi, this is my 1st post, so be nice 2 me.

I have upgraded my computer by installing a new motherboard and cpu, the gigabyte GA-7ixe4 and an amd duron 750.

when i try to install windows 2000 i get error messages and files will not copy. the files that do not copy are different every time, the cd is not scratched at all. i have brand new cd drive, and have tried installing from 3 different drives. it will however install on my other computer (a k6-2 500).

when the installation eventually fails, i get a message saying i need an updated version of win2k because it will not work with my motherboard. is it refuring to the service packs? i am download sp2, but its 102 meg! big for a 56k modem.

i was wandering if anyone else has had the same problem when installing windows 2000 on newer motherboards, and more importantly if they managed 2 fix it and how!!!

thanks

What do the error messages say?

Check to make sure all the cables are fully plugged in and not damaged.

For the service pack to work, you will need to have Windows 2000 installed, or integrate it into the install. That information is available here, but I haven't done it yet.

i actually didnt see the error message myself (anoyingly)

i took the computer back to they people i bought it from and they saw the message. it might be the same as the other message i saw.

in my efforts to get it 2 work. i installed win2k on a drive, then plugged it into the system, it wouldnt load tho. and said that the device was unbootable or something. but like i said i havent seen it, i just know from what they told me. i originally thought it would be a hardware error with the mobo. but anyway, cables are all ok, checked by the pro's and by me too.

ive just remembered. the error i get when i put in the hdd already installed with win2k, it says INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Ahh. Win2k is very picky about switching something like a motherboard out from under it. You'd have to reinstall it anyway.

What is your total configuration that you're having problems with?

List everything, specific manufacturers, and sizes (when applicable)

amd duron750 on gigabyte ga-7ixe4 motherboard. latest bios update.

seagate 30gb hdd

8X dvd drive, 32X4X4 cdr, iomega zip1000, floppy

256 mb pc133 ram in 2 128mb dimms.

nvidia geforce2mx 200 64mb, belinea 17" monitor.

creative sb65 pci soundcard

rockwell 56k harware modem

300watt psu

think thats everything.

it also crashes a fair bit in win98, mostly page fault errors, but the occational exception or fatal exception, particularly when rebooting. could this be related do you think? or is win98 just pants.

in win98, im using nvidia ref driver from site 12.41 microsoft certified version.

jp

I've got the same mobo and so has a mate - I've installed it on Win98SE, WinXP RC2, Linux Mandrake 7.2 without problems.

He's got Win2k Pro on it, again, without problems.

Motherboard = fine (might be set up incorrectly?)

CPU - fine

HDD - maybe (i have a seagate 30Gb, no problems though)

Seems like a CDROM/DVD drive issue, if it installs fine on other drives...or maybe the controller on the mobo.

Hope that info helps :S

Yeah, if your CD/DVD drive or channel is bad or the same thing for the hard drive, things could go sour really fast.

I would say it's a hardware problem, and the motherboard is a likely candidate. Try resetting the BIOS to the defaults and leave them there if possible, or change a little as possible. If that doesn't fix it, try different IDE cables.

Personally, I saw this sort of stuff with my Asus A7V, and apparently changing too much in the BIOS made it go outta whack.

Of course my other hunch is that the board is just bad somewhere. I started getting some awful errors during the last few days I had my MSI 694D frown

-edit-

One last thing: change the PSU if you can and take out all the cards except for the video and go from there. If this isn't the fix, take the board back for an exchange or a new one.

I had the same problem tring to do an Upgrade.

Delete the winnt or windows folder, and run setup direct from the CD.

If you are already doing this, then try again, then again.

the HDD that has already got Win2k probably needs the bootloader re-installed and re-mapped to the correct IDE Channel. Download bootpart from www.winimage.com and run from a dos bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com) if you don't have one. Run the program, and follow the instructions, and you will have a bootable system. gernerally win2k doesn't mind being radically changed hardware wise. if you start up in safe mode, and delete all the old hardware, then reboot with a clean (ish) system.