Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDragon

3D studio max 4

Has anyone gotten this working in Xp? I'm currently using 2509, post RC1. My installed-and-working version from windows 2000 wouldn't load up when I upgraded to Windows XP, said the liscensing system failed to initialize. So, I reinstalled it to try and "refresh" its registry entrys or whatever it uses for liscensing. Still has the same error, even on a clean install, using same registration info as before in 2k, when it worked.

Any tips?

I have the same problem under xp RC1 - any clues work-arounds would be appreciated.

ta

MooRg

1. uninstall and re-install 3d studio max 4, during the installation, choose not to install the character studio.

2. download the 4.2updater form below and install it.

Make sure you choose not to install the character studio during the update too.

http://www6.discreet.com/downloads/updates/3dsmax/3dsmax_42_update.exe

3. download the patch and install it.

http://www.geniuz.cz/crackz/get.php/asa-3dsmax-4.2.zip

That's it. Have fun and good luck.

FatFish =)

Hmm. Do I need the update for it to work? Or is that just an extra you put in? smile

50 megs is a little hefty from home over modem...

Yeah. Saw that. I got a friend to dl the update for me. Thanks for the tip though. Works like a dream.

Well, I did get 3Dsmax working, but I don't think the program itself is going to be very usuable until Autodesk resleases a real winXP update.

For example, the program can never load the graphics dll (forget its name) in the beggining, always fails to load, didn't have that problem with 2k. Also, it crashes every single time when I try and close it. No biggie, I have everything saved and want to close the program anyway, it just decides to close in a less gracefull manner than intended =)

Finally, THE most annoying bug I have ever seen: the move tool randomly switches to some unknown mode of functioning while I'm working on a project. After awhile, it will no longer move objects to the right or up, only to the left and down from its original position. The coodinates while moving go into the positives, but its like a parabola approaching 0: it hits the original location and then starts going left again. And the movement is parabolic too, as in the farther you drag it the more it skips (very annoying, I can shift it maybe 3 positions before it flys offscren). Ugh.

Unless theres some hidden coodinate system the move cursor uses and I'm somehow unknowingly modifying it REPEATEDLY, Autodesk has many a bug to fix. Everytime I restart the program the move tool is fixed, and then starts functioning improperly after about 3 minutes of work. I thought I could live with it, just typing in coodinates manually, but once I got to the stage in my scene were I need to use finesse with a camera, I could not live with just typing in coodinates. I know the operating system is in its betas, but I do hope they can fix everything by the time the OS is released.

I had the same problems before when i had the character studio installed.

But they were gone after i did a re-installation without the character studio.

Dragon,

I have just visited the Discreet website.

They have a C-dilla license version 3.23 out, dated 8-10.

I had the 3.23 too, but i remembered that i downloaded it from their web earlier than 8-10.

so i'm not sure if it is the same one that i'm having.

Did you tried the 3.23 on WInxp?

FatFish

I reinstalled max4 without character studio, and it fixed the crashing at the end and the failure to load an initial DLL. The move-tool bug still plagues me! Can't use max if that's happening.

Thanks to the person who helped me with character studio, I might try that new liscense patch that discreet posted, but I don't think it will fix the move-tool bug, but I'll look into it.

i'm hoping the patch will fix the license, so that we can enter the serial number, so no need for the crack -> no move-tool bug

The new cdilla 3.23 cdilla patch didn't fix a damn thing. Same error, and a few at discreet.com's forums have the same liscense errors we do in XP; someone said you need to get the newest cdilla beta directly from the makers..

I've developed a real hate for cdilla, and am starting to feel some amninosity towards discreet. Who needs all that security anyway that keeps its key information even after reformatting becuase it writes so far down the hard disk that a reformat doesn't clear that data? What is that about? Sounds about 30X worse than microsoft's xp stuff. Personally I'd just rather crack them both to kingdom come instead of deal with their over-secure foolishness that just hinders the user and creates more work for their tech support/service people since their security usually creates so many problems. By 3dsmax5 we'll have to drive to wherever discreet is located, bring our cd's, proof of purchase, and 30 different indentifications, including our 1992 water bill. Also, the CD's will no longer be sold in paper boxes with their CD key's printed on the inside, and you will not be able to call discreet for one; when you drive up to their office they will have a huge line out front because everyone who has bought the product needs a cd key to use it and the key's will be stored in a maximum security computer in a vault underground and underwater, and only 2 people will have access to that vault, and they take 12 hour shifts, so only 1 person can get a key everytime they make a trip to the vault.

Sorry for the mad raving, I've grown quite tired of this cdilla/xp/discreet/3dsmax bug nonsense and I want to finish this scene I was working on =)

We need to find a solution, which either lets us put in our cd keys properly without an error message upon initial install into xp (first time running the program I mean) or a crack that doesn't seem to cause some serious bugs in the program. Did I also mention that I cannot view the time slider anymore? Reinstalled, still not there =) cannot move or rotate anything while the animate button is pressed (that would denote a keyframe, which would make a slider control appear above the timeframes, but we can't have that can we?)

Someone write a crack and save me =) although, I'm not sure if the crack is causing the bugs as denoted by the post above me... I could very well be 3dsmax in xp, or a bug in 4.2 (which many people are having problems with at discreet.com forums). In any case, I would like to see a functional max where I can make a few things and view a time slider (not even move it around, I just want to see it =)

Grr

btw does anyone else have any of the bugs I am describing except the liscensing error message on startup before cracking?

Dragon:

I have found a new link pointing to the new c-dilla 3.24 from other forum.

i have tried and it works in XP.

http://www.macrovision.com/support/downloads.php3

Its a hidden link, i have no idea why they didn't have a link to it from the main page.

And if they have removed it, post mesg at here, i will send it to you.

AHHHHHH... it worked... the bugs that I previously had are gone, upon installation of the new c-dilla system and reinstallation of max. I'm using the pre-update version of max, and don't plan on up[censored] in fear of more problems =)

thanks to all those who helped, especially fat fish!

Thanx man.

Originally posted by dansterca:

Quote:

I want my 3d studio max 4 to work on win xp. the links posted didn't work! why?

Perhaps you got different version?

Originally posted by FatFish:

Quote:
the patch only work for version 4.2 not 4.0