Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David Y

Sharing Printers with 98 and win2k machine need help.

I'm trying to get two computers (one running win2k and the other winME) to share the same printer HP DeskJet 930C.

File sharing works fine. But I can't seem to share printers. When I tried installing additional drivers WinME wasn't there so I installed the Win95/98 drivers but it still didn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced.

What exactly happened? Did it throw up some kind of error message when printing? Did it appear to send the document but not print at all? Or did it give an error when you tried to install it?

I was able to network an HP720c which like yours in not networkable or so they say. I simply put the printer on my windows 2000 box and set it up for sharing. Then I went to my wife's ME box (which has been completely removed in favor of win2000) and to my suprise it worked flawlessly. Now I also suffer from brain fade and the printer could have been on the ME machine, but in either case It was a snap to network the printer to both machines which HP said could not be done. Just set the printer up for sharing and it should work for you.

Good luck and let me know how it went.:D

There was an error message saying something about it not being able to write to my computer name.

Am I suppose to install the win95/98 drivers for the printer on win2k or is there a way to install WinME drivers?

Don't worry about the additional driver stuff in WIn2k. Install the printer and share it. Goto the Win ME box and go through the Add Printer wizard. Choose Network printer then find the printer. Then install Win ME drivers on the ME box and all should be good.