Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

Whistler discussion

I have no opinion on browsers, I just wanna say that all those pics of Whistler look nice. Yeah, a little Maccy in their look, but oh well.

The loading time on all those pics just about killed the pipe here, I thought the network was going down.. yet again. smile

Netscape 6 was decent, it crashed a lot, but it's interface was easy to use, even a child could use it, isn't Netscape part of AOL now? That explains the look.

I am a bit sceptical about this NT kernel migration project that is MS.Whistler. I like this OS, but I honestly think it will be the same story like windows 2000. Remember those comments made by MS which said W2000 Pro would replace NT 4 & 98...well, I BELEIVED THEM.

Now I use w2000, and games work well, it doesn't crash anymore (like w98 did), and unlike MS thinks, I use my computer basically at home. If Whistler runs all games, it will be because most of them will be already compatible with win2000, not because it is a "perfect" os.

By the way (this is for you, DOSFREAK): I like skins, and I don't think this OS will be slower than it's older companions (9x & NT). Microsoft is changing GDI model. A new version, called GDI+ is to be shipped with Whistler.

It will have antialiasting text, non opace windows support, bilinear filtering (or some kind of filtering) and some nice features that will use our 3d H/W accelerators to the max. Windows 2000 is an example: there is alpha bleding support (transparent menus), and directdraw is ALWAYS ON.

In other words: DOS is death. Use NT kernel, or linux, or BEOS.

well..people always say "blah blah blah Ms" and "blah blah blah Windows 2000"...

I can almost promise you that this OS will be the best one MS has created, and not by what they say, it's by my experiences and shit. I know a lot of behind the scenes info on Whistler, so I have a fair bit of knowledge in things that aren't even in whistler yet. I know this Os will prevail, and i'll be happy to upgrade (err. I would clean install anyways) to this operating system. If you want more information, ICQ me at 37985648. Eddie314 already knows how much help I have been ever since I added him to my list. Isn't that right Eddie? wink

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

Quote:
PS, i do afree that 4x was too bloated in comparison to 3x. I think my fav version was 3.1 Gold or something like that, and if i can still find a website to download it, i would, just for nostalgic (sorry spelling) reasons.

Let your prayers be answered: http://sillydog.webhanger.com/narchive/

-bZj

PS: Guilty as charged on the pre-release MSN browser thing laugh I was riled, but I hope this has all been in fun, I don't hang out here to piss people off wink

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 22 September 2000).]

Yeah jdulmage, I agree whistler really is promising so far. Why no fading menus and skinning in 9x? well for stability reasons. Now that we have the rock-solid completely bug-hunted base with true pre-emtive multitasking so now it's possible to add lots of cute stuff smile

Yeah, DOS is dead, and now win9x is seeing it's latest days. Get ready for ConsumerNT aka whistler! muahaha

... but I hope Creative LAbs continue to support SB16 emulation in their drivers, for those good old DOS games like doom and x-com. Never know when we want a little nostalgia moments back.

yes..

Consumer NT..

i'm so ****ing happy right now, because I finally get to say that...

------------------

Because I can.....

heh. Whistler 2257 boots up in the same time Windows 2000 does. Also all D3D & OGL scores are the same. I love it when people don't do benchmarks properly.....

heh heh, pre-beta..

I love when people say stupid things about something that hasn't really even started..

<edit>

Forgot to also mention that benchmarks were not done on your system there buddy, they were done on a different system, systems vary from each one.

</edit>

I think i will change my signature to

"Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce"

------------------

Because I can.....

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 27 September 2000).]

Ha jdulmage that was funny ****. Whistler is the sh1t unfortunatly my copy of 2250 always says that "the beta version of direct draw has expired" And that happens when ever i use explorer. but it is the **** for games deffinatly better than win 2k but not quite as good as win me. I sadly deleted my copy off of my hard drive the other day. Anyway i am sure that there are some newer build owners out there who might want to email me about such a thing hint hint ;}

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

256 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

MS Optical Mouse

Extract the newest DX8 files directly to your dllcache & system32 folders....

Yo..

beta DirectDraw has expired is basically telling you "Whistler 2250 has expired"..

You should always get the newest anyways, unless you have a slow connection, then I understand wink

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

OK, so far, what I've learn about this new OS "Whistler" after 6 pagse, is that it's more stable and faster. I remembered that when I installed Win2000, I had a lot of compatibility problems wich has brought me to this site to solve some of those problems. So far, we've discussed about all the POSITIVE side of Whistler but can anyone tell me about the "DARK SIDE" (hehe) of it? (Especially compatibilities issues?) For sure, this OS isnt perfect and before considering reformatting my drive, I need more answers and infos than what you guys posted so far! Thanks!

PS: What is the minimum requirements for this OS? P3? 256 ram? 1 gig of space?

------------------

BaronX

Der Zweck heiligt die Mittel (The Ends Justifies the Means)

Dual Celeron 400 @ 450

BP6 160mb pc100

13.6 gig Fuji 7200rpm

HP 7200e

SBlive Value

nVidia TNT2 32mb AGP

W2K(2195)

Opera would be the best if it shared winsock, but Netscape sucks..slow as hell and does'nt load pages correctly. IE is the best.

hmm..im so happy with win2k that im definitely not am going to upgrade to a beta os..and like baronx (i think) pointed out there are prolly still som compability issues with whistler..also im a bit reluctant to chagne to a os, however fast/stable, that looks like a gameboy

not sure how fast it boots (win2k that is) but who cares..i just reboot once a month anyway..

its shutsdown in less than 5 secs anyway smile

[This message has been edited by nagual (edited 04 October 2000).]

well nagul, I wouldnt diss whistler until you have tried it. As for compatability issues the only problems ive encoundered are software related and are due to the tweaking of the kernal and would be pretty easy to solve once the OS progresses. I use whistler as my primary OS and Win2k as my secondary and its still in alpha because Whistler fixes all the bugs that were in 2k (as of the latest 2257 build more will be fixed as the patches come out for w2k), is faster, skinable, a hell of a lot better looking than 2k. Plus many many many many more reasons. Whistler is as stable as if not more so than w2k.

You guys crack me up. Praising Whistler and dissing Windows 2000 when it's just Windows 2000 with more stuff. ;(

laugh

Preach on Whistler fanatics. ;(

oh really? I didn't know that windows 2000 was planned to be made with XML and DHTML and I didn't know that Windows 2000 was really for home customers and I also didn't know that Windows 2000 had 9x support in it. Wow, that's really news to me DosFreak...

it's nothing like Windows 2000, I pretty much spit on Windows 2000 right now as far as comparing the two.

loser..

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 05 October 2000).]

damn you DosFreak!! how do you do that tongue face thing!!!!!!

<edit>

:P

</edit>

nevermind :P

------------------

Ok, I'm now wondering how much money someone is slipping Jdulmage to talk the way he does. It's really ridiculous, and it doesn't do anything to further discussion. Ok, so you like whistler, I'm happy for you, but good lord, spare us a little will you? It's really big of you to flame the crap out of everyone that posts anything besides "I love whistler, microsoft is god." I should honestly hope that it's better that Win2k. If it weren't, what would be the point in upgrading? Therefore, spare us all please and quit flaming everyone who says something against it! It's not going to be perfect, ok, get used to it!