Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

Whistler discussion

My question is:

Now that the Whistler Beta program is in full swing and many people have "obtained" copies through one means or another, can we discuss issues etc on this board much the same as we discussed 2000 betas?

I would be interested to know of others experiences and views on Whistler as, although it is only Windows 5.1, it would still be good to have an open forum to discuss issues and opinions.

What do the rest of you think?

Felix.

------------------

Written on Win2000 using:

PII 300

Aopen AX6B

160mb RAM

i740 8mb

SBLive! Value

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

Pioneer 32x CD-R (Slot)

Lifeview FlyVideo '98 FM

Realtek RTL8029AS 10mbit

Accton EN1660 10mbit

Osborne MO117 17"

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

open discussion should be allowed...under one condition...NEVER SAY "it's just Windows NT 5.1)...it's Windows.NET 1.0 or CodeName: Whistler...it's a hell of a lot better than 2000 already...it'll always be better than 2000 and i'm installing it and leaving the old NT/9x **** and getting into what I call "NT-X" which is Whistler. Whistler is designed on NT with 9x support, so you have the stability of NT with gaming support of 9x. Most people say "that'll make it unstable".. not true..in fact..they have things so planned out this time around and it can't lose. MS has finally decided to add the eye candy that is so needed in their OS...Whistler is just one of the many .NET Services that MS is bringing out. I already have msn.NET 1.0 (MSN Messenger Version 6) installed which is at http://preview.msn.com

I have already seen screenshots of Office.NET 1.0 (Office 2001) which is looking good and now Windows.NET 1.0 (whistler) is even better. I myself are going to all the .NET services when all of them are released...Whistler finally has everything that people want...NT with 9x support that is stable...eye candy and choices beyond believe and skinnable OS is added into it. By the end, it'll have directX 8.0, IE 5.6 (I think i'll be changed to 6.0 or removed completely due to msn.NET's Internet Explorer). So i'll finalize by saying, MS's .NET plan is perfect..i'm actually selling out to them now cause i love Whistler's look and the whole .NET look is great.. get Whistler and msn.NET and install them both and love them...

Thank you for this time

AMD K7 at 550 Mhz

256 MB RAM

16 MB RivaTNT

19" monitor

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 03 August 2000).]

I can't quite follow what you're saying.

Are you saying that they will put 9x support back into this OS - I mean the real-mode stuff?

By skinnable OS, you mean Linux style cosmetics such as gnome/sawmill combination under RH6.2?

Apart from the revamp of online services that you mentioned, I was unable to comprehend the rest of your post. Could you give some more detail regarding the 9x support and *.net.

Thanks,

Felix.

------------------

Written on Win2000 using:

PII 300

Aopen AX6B

160mb RAM

i740 8mb

SBLive! Value

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

Pioneer 32x CD-R (Slot)

Lifeview FlyVideo '98 FM

Realtek RTL8029AS 10mbit

Accton EN1660 10mbit

Osborne MO117 17"

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

what he means by 9.x support is that ms is going to move all home users to the nt code base which means that it will have to have the wide range hardware & software support that win9.x currently has. But it will not literaly have 9.x support.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

yes 4 and 20, that is what I mean..as for skins...yes, like Linux...not much left to say.

goto http://www.flukex.com

I work for that company

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 04 August 2000).]

taskmanager.jpg

themes.jpg

turn%20off.jpg

usermanager1_normal.jpg

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 08 September 2000).]

More Whistler? Ok... here some shots from Jotenet...

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

18.jpg

who the hell are you to call him names?? he just helped hundreds of people that wanted to know what Whistler looked like...

it looks like **** eh?

1) Your a DosFreak

2) You can customize

3) IT'S A BETA!!

pre-beta at that..

things change, skins are being added...you can switch to whatever you want..

i'm leaving the world of old windows as soon as this becomes Beta 1. Forget 2000, Forget 9x...i'm going straight to Whistler...because it's a hell of a lot better, more customizable, and faster

jdulmage : i don remember asking you a goddamn thing

he can post links..like everyone else..

and i happen to agree with dosfreak..it looks like a gameboy =)