Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbutters

Is there anyway to upgrade ME to 2000?

HI, I know that microsoft says that you cannot upgrade Windows millenium to Win2k, but on this site, it says it is possible, does anybody know how it works? please give me any information.

Yes you can upgrade from ME because Win2k thinks its 98(which thats all it is with more bugs), however it is best to do a clean install. That means, you reformat your hard drive and install from scratch. If you just got the upgrade to Win2k, no sweat, just have a 98 upgrade or full version cd, as Win2k will ask you for proof that you have another Microsoft OS to upgrade from. I know that works.

I don't have any other CDs, except for a WinME full CD, do you think it might accept that?

-bZj

It should, but I havent tested it yet. See if you can borrow a copy of 98 from someone.

If I were you and your unsure, just wait till you have to reinstall and then try Win2k. If using the full version of ME doesnt work, you just install ME then instead.

You could also try this, although it might be even more problematic: install ME, then before you do anything else, stick in the Win2k CD and upgrade it.

Can anyone else confirm using the ME cd as proof of the authentication?

You could consider buying the full version of Win2k too. Its $300 for the full version as opposed to $200 for the upgrade. If you havent bought Win2k already.

Yeah, I'm running an *cough*irregal*cough* version of 2K now, but would obviously prefer to be legal. My ME is perfectly legal though. I will probably end up picking up an OEM copy of 2K when I buy the hdd or mobo for my new computer, 'bout the same price as an upgrade.

-bZj

In order to install Win2k, you cannot do it from WinME or the WinME bootdisk.

go here: http://www.myshed.net/bootdisks/boot98se.exe

download it, run it (have formatted floppy ready) and also you may want to have a copy(win98se version) of smartdrv.exe on the floppy disk.

Once you reboot with the floppy u should be able to install win2k.

You dont need a boot disk for Win2k!

The only time you would need any floppy is if your installing an extra pair of IDE controllers or a scsi controller. You can boot off the Win2k cd. I never said anything about booting off an ME disk. The ME disk is pretty much worthless for anything other than getting into ME.

If he's upgrading from ME the way it is now, he should just run the setup from ME. The best way though is to do a clean install.

If you use the upgrade to Win2k, you need some previous version of Windows, to prove you have it. You can use the 98 upgrade or the full version. I know that works with either version of 98.

I dont use a floppy except to install the IDE controller on the install.

Unless you cant boot off the CD, then you have to make 4 Win2k boot floppies for it to work.

Karna, if this is the way you want to do it, fine, but its easier just to boot off the cd if at all possible. Its not 98 upgrade.

is it bad to have all "blue'backed" cd's? I do, however, have a silver Win98se disc.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 19 March 2001).]

Uhh... the CD-R's Ive seen have a blue back as far as the shiny, laser-read side. I'd say youve got yourself an illegal copy, there. Better report it to MS. Or smack the guy that sold you it.

BTW, just buy a copy from the store that's in a box. No probs that way.

the thought of actually buying a piece of software passes through For and Twenty's head, Four and Twenty immediately burst out in an uncontrollable rage of laughter thinking about some of the 80 some full version programs, games, operating systems and 40 some divx movies and 17 gb of mp3s all totaling about 64 gb of illegal stuff. I love the Internet. Also I was able to get a lot of this stuff using my trusty old 56k modem.

All you gotta do is put your CD in the drive and it will say "This CD contains a newer version of Windows than you are currently running, would you like to upgrade to Windows 2000?" Yada yada yada or something like that. Just go through the install then.