Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

Why?

Why even buy Wiindows ME? Just make sure you have a decent cpu and 256 megs of ram a run W2K.

Just my opinion and like every other post I have made I'm sure people will blast me.

But you know I'm right.

hehe

OK OK OK, try to beat this:

I ran win2k on a:

166MHz Pentium MMX

48MB Ram

2.1GB hard drive

14" "La Mierda" Monitor

Also, it ran fine (little slow) on that 166, it runs smooth on my second machine (PII333@375MHz, 128MB Ram, 8.4GB Hard Drive, Voodoo3 2000 PCI)it will run fine with 64 MB ram...so....nope.....you're not right, sorry buddy, looks like the house prevails on this one.

That's great... my point is that why run ME at all when you can have W2K?

I wonder if W2K would run on a 486?

Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

hehe

It did for about 10 minutes on my 486DX/2 66 with 20MB RAM...but then it ran into my limiting factor: my 325MB hdd. But this was also RC1...and I wanted to give it a try before tossing it.

Not that many, and nothing really from the past year.

Anything released now will be made Win2000 compatible because next years version of Windows is largely based on the Win2000 code.

The only limiting thing about Win2000 is drivers.

Creative seem to have their's sorted now, NVidia still seem to be having problems.

Give it just a few more months and you wont be able to find a modern game that wont run under Win2k.

------------------

PIII 700E, Intel D815EEA, 512MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA100 30GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

and alot of hardware (i.e. Creative Labs) doesn't have any win2k support, so winme is a great dual boot option.

Just from my own experience: I did a clean install of WinME on my wife's 233Mhz Compaq notebook. Previously, I'd tried Win2K on it and it ran fine, except for the modem. Compaq COULD have made the modem work with only a lousy flash-BIOS upgrade, but N-O! (Screw 'em, last Compaq we're ever buying.)

Anyway, it recognized all her hardware, software, etc., and works fine on her notebook. I should mention that she doesn't run the graphic-intensive programs that I do. She just wants to be able to communicate on eBay whenever we're out of town. wink

HOWEVER...I had to do some maintenance on my PII 333Mhz desktop over the past weekend and decided to install WinME in the process.

All I can say is, "What a dog!"

It seems to me that Microsoft took some of the cutesy features from Win2K and added them to WinME in hopes of passing ME off as a true upgrade.

I mean, it was dog-slow....DOUBLE-dog-slow, compared to Win2K on the same machine. And that doesn't even mention all the lock-ups and reboots that were necessary to run the same programs that run flawlessly under Win2K.

Win98SE was much more stable on my machine than WinME Not that I need either one of them anymore. Not with Win2K! smile

actually big companies like Creayive Labs Do have support for windows 2000, why wouldn't they? i just downloaded the lastest drivers for my sound card last week.

256mb, my gooly goolushes y do u need so much anyways?!!

------------------

2 Computers both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

Eddie is half right, they support windows 2000, but they support it very crap like. I mean, you get the drivers, but...I have a SB 128 PCI with Subwoofer set. I can't even hear the bass in windows 2000 because there is no setting to turn up the bass like in windows 9x...with or without manufacturer drivers from the website. So, I hope they get their act straight about that soon

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

-------------------------

Simple Because 2000 lacks hardware support. I have messed with 2000 since it was released and drivers are very s**ty with the os. Ive sunk alot of cash into sound, video, and DVD cards only to find out that when you install drivers for them it works half ass or screws something else up with the system (creative dxr 3). For 5 months Ive done nothing on my computer but struggle to configure hardware only to reformat and start over again and again. I have been running duel boot with 2000 and Me for the past few month so when Me was released last week I wasted no time buying a (leget)copy and reformatting one more time (Me only). And ya know what? Everything works and works great. Sure Me isnt as stable but Im able to enjoy everything that I have spent my hard earned $ on. Bitter? No way! Ive have learned tons and eagerly await the day when hardware venders or able to get thier drivers optimized for 2000. (creative and HP)

RattDawg

Pentium 3 700

Intel 440bx

256 ram

geforce 2 gts

Live platnium

dxr3 DVD

tdk burner

HP 4200c

HP p1100 photosmart

I have an old Creative Labs PC DVD Inlay DVD decoder card (pci), are there any drivers for it? Nope.

Yes drivers are the main problem, then old games. With time new games are out and so are drivers, so next summer everybody will be win2k'ing, right?

My main problem for gaming in win2k is crackling with any audio hardware accelleration enabled. You see I have a SMP system and a SB Live and with their current drivers that set-up causes crackling. CL have confirmed the problem and Im waiting for a fix. Until then I must dual boot to winME frown

And AC3 out through the SB Live is also not possible, this time because of the DX7 built in win2k.

Well, lil old me is sitting here spewing that creative haven't even recognised that some 2k users might actually have a SB PCI64 cards in their machine. Sure I got sound, but boy does it suck!

------------------

Intel PIII 450

ASUS P2B-F (BIOS 1013a)

128 MB PC 100 SDRam

64 MB PC 133 SDRam

Diamond Viper 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 6.27)

Quantum Fireball CR 8.4Gb IDE HDD

Quantum Atlas II 4.5Gb SCSI HDD

Iomega 100MB internal IDE ZIP Drive

Tekram DC-310 (Symbios Logic 53C810) SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 8x4 SCSI CD-R

Mitsubishi Diamond Data 32x IDE CD Rom

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D USB Joystick

Surecom EP-325 (Realtek 8029) PCI NIC

Epson Stylus Color 400 Printer

Dynalink V1456VQE-R External 56k V.90 Modem

Daewoo 710b 17" Monitor

Windows 2000 2195 SP1

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

It is not a SB PCI64, it is a SB AudioPCI 64.

Drivers are different, one type is REAL Creative, the other are Ensoniq cards.

I know, I have a ES 1371, renamed CT 4810 (I spent ages to discover this!)

Okay, this is for some of you who seem to think win2k will run all of the "newer" games. Here is a list of games that is not compatible, or was not compatible until the company took about a month to get a patch released.....

Force Commander (video and sound probs)

Daikatana

Vampire TM: Redemption

Rogue Spear (sticky keys)

Nox (sticky keys)

Any game from 3DO (refuse to support 2k)

Soldier of Fortune (problems with friggin user account)

Unfortunately, the list goes on. If you are a hardcore gamer, there really is no choice but to go with a win9x OS for now. Hopefully companies will add support for upcoming games and we can all do away with the crappy win9x platform.

Don't get me wrong, I am a total NT/unix user. Win9x completely blows, but Microsoft gives us hardcore gamers no choice. That is the best answer i can give to your question Ronin. Other than that, i find no reason in hell to run any win9x OS.

-HarU

Don't know about these:

Force Commander (video and sound probs)

Force Commander suxs anyway.

Any game from 3DO (refuse to support 2k)

These work:

Daikatana (Haven't tried it Demo worked)

Sucks WHO CARES IF IT DOESN'T WORK???!!

Vampire TM: Redemption (worked fine for me)

Rogue Spear (sticky keys)=Fixed in SP1 or DX8

Nox (sticky keys)=Fixed in SP1 or DX8

Soldier of Fortune (problems with friggin user account) (Demo worked.

The simple fact of the matter is Most games work and the ones that don't either suck or are no use wasting time on because newer NT5 compatible games are being released every second.

Hey I could live without the few games Win 2000 doesnt support, in fact all the games that I play ran extremely well. It is just the $1500 dollars in hardware that doesnt work or works half-assed that bugs me.

RattDawg

Obviously you didn't open your eyes and read the post DosFreak. I said, these games did not work until the company game out with a patch or something. In these cases, they were service packs, or DX8.

On another note that you failed to acknowledge.....I directed that post towards hardcore gamers. I even said that in the post. Now, if you are coming in here and saying,

"The simple fact of the matter is Most games work and the ones that don't either suck or are no use wasting time on because newer NT5 compatible games are being released every second."

then, in my opinion, you aren't a hardcore gamer. A hardcore gamer isn't going to sit back and "accept" the incompatibilities.....they are going to go out and find an OS that is capable of running any and every game right out of the box without any problems. That's the bottom line!

Oh yeah, Rogue Spear, Nox, SOF, and Vampire TM:R didn't run correctly at firs, so does that mean that for that short amount of time, they sucked???? And who gives a sh*t whether the demo works in win2k or not??

One last thing....you came back with saying that nox and rogue spear's sticky keys were fixed in sp1 or DX8...Well, i am sorry but, when i buy a game i don't want to have to wait for microsoft to come out with a damn service pack just so i can play it. And DX8??? So now we are supposed to use beta drivers that are very secretive and hard to get just so our games will run??

Sorry dude, i guess you just don't like gaming as much as some of the rest of us.

Peace

-HarU

Thanks for the rude comments.

1. "I said, these games did not work until the company game out with a patch or something. In these cases, they were service packs, or DX8."

Guess you haven't been using 9x very long. ALOT of 9x games these days require patches.... or haven't you as a hardcore gamer been playing them? Also SP1 & DX8 didn't fix any issue for my games and I never had any sticky key issues with aformentioned games.

2. "they are going to go out and find an OS that is capable of running any and every game right out of the box without any problems. That's the bottom line!"

Again not all games run out of the box or run well at all "without any problems" even in 9x. Wanna use a crappy 9x OS? Fine with me that's your decision of course but I like to muddle through and actually help people out by trying to get the games to work not by giving up and running 9x instead. So I guess in that respect I am not a "hardcore gamer" I buy all the latest games, I play and beat all the latest games but I WILL NOT install 9x to play a game I will try my best to get it to work in NT5. If it doesn't then I'll just wait for the patch.

3. "Oh yeah, Rogue Spear, Nox, SOF, and Vampire TM:R didn't run correctly at firs, so does that mean that for that short amount of time, they sucked???? And who gives a sh*t whether the demo works in win2k or not??"

Rogue Spear ran fine here when I last played it a couple of months ago on an RC of Windows 2000. Don't remember which version. Even took it to a LAN party.

NOX- Never played it.

Soldier of Fortune: I haven't played the full game but the demo ran fine. The demo is the same as the full except with all the extra stuff cut out.

Vampire: Ran fine here OUT OF THE BOX. Except for the fact of no stupid save game feature and some graphical corruption on my G400.

4. "nd who gives a sh*t whether the demo works in win2k or not??"

Obviously the person who made this site, the people like me who submit the working demos to this site, the people who want to play the demos. The people who want to know if the full game may work in 2000.

5. "when i buy a game i don't want to have to wait for microsoft to come out with a damn service pack just so i can play it. And DX8??? So now we are supposed to use beta drivers that are very secretive and hard to get just so our games will run??"

Is it Microsoft's fault that the company who made the job did a crappy job of R&D NO? (Except for the control issue which it seems odd that only some games and some people experience). If you are a HARDCORE gamer then you must know that using the latest beta drivers is part of the trade. Also Directx 8 is extremely easy to find on the internet. Obviously you haven't been looking very hard. Mabye you've been spending too much time playing games. ;(

*Since your a HARDCORE gamer go buy a Playstation,N64,Gameboy or some other lame little console. Obviously you don't wanna help the computer world and would rather play games instead of trying to get them to work MR. HARDCORE.

------------------

C:\Dos

C:\Dos\Run

\Run\Dos\Run

Okay, i am going to make this as short as i can because you are beginning to annoy me.

"Again not all games run out of the box or run well at all "without any problems" even in 9x. Wanna use a crappy 9x OS? Fine with me that's your decision of course but I like to muddle through and actually help people out by trying to get the games to work not by giving up and running 9x instead. So I guess in that respect I am not a "hardcore gamer" I buy all the latest games, I play and beat all the latest games but I WILL NOT install 9x to play a game I will try my best to get it to work in NT5. If it doesn't then I'll just wait for the patch"

Okay, there is no way you are ever going to convince the world that NT5 is more compatible with games than 9x. Im not saying 9x is better, so get that through your thick skull. Unlike you, i am not single-minded. Like ive said before, i am an NT/Unix user. So don't sit there and try to f*cking tell me that NT is better and blah blah blah. I know it is better for quite possibly ever other reason than gaming. A game has a hell of a lot better chance of working on a 9x platform right out of the box than NT. That's the bottom line. Microsoft's said it, game manufacturers have said it, and now ive said it from personal experience.

"Rogue Spear ran fine here when I last played it a couple of months ago on an RC of Windows 2000. Don't remember which version. Even took it to a LAN party"

Well aren't you just more special than everyone else here. Why don't you do us all a favor and save me from having to type much and do a search on this board for Rogue Spear's sticky keys in Win2k.

"Is it Microsoft's fault that the company who made the job did a crappy job of R&D NO? (Except for the control issue which it seems odd that only some games and some people experience). If you are a HARDCORE gamer then you must know that using the latest beta drivers is part of the trade. Also Directx 8 is extremely easy to find on the internet. Obviously you haven't been looking very hard. Mabye you've been spending too much time playing games."

You just contradicted your only strong point in this argument. No, it is not MS' fault. When is the last time you saw a service pack for Win98 SE that enables more game compatibility?? (ouch....that one hurt). Oh, by the way, i have DX8, but it sure wasn't easy to get it when it first got out. It was quite hard to obtain, and least for most of us. You seem to be an exception to everyone else's problems, so you probably got it right away right?

"Since your a HARDCORE gamer go buy a Playstation,N64,Gameboy or some other lame little console. Obviously you don't wanna help the computer world and would rather play games instead of trying to get them to work MR. HARDCORE."

First of all, that is horsesh*t. You're telling me that i need to play games on a little lame console?? Dude, i would love to actually play you at a First Person Shooter Computer game. Console games are lame. I am a computer gamer, so that little attempt of an immature insult there was insignificant. And one last thing..Did you even look at the f*cking post you are in?????? Ronin asked a question. I answered his question and my response was a lot more helpful to the Computer World than any of yours here. I am the one that is helping people get their games to work. Maybe you need to actually use your brain and think before you spout out comments that make you look bad.

-HarU

well HarU, i'm gonna have to agree with DosFreak on this one, you're completely out of line and have no idea of what you're talking about, I'll sell you a Nintendo HarU, all of the games work on it.

Man I wish the hell I had time to spend trying to get games and hardware to work. The little time that I have is much better spent (and funner) playing rather than configuring. Got Time to burn? Run 2000

RattDawg