Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jake9190

Win98se and policies

I have setup a small lab of computers running windows98se on the client machines and the server running windows NT Server 4. I am having problems setting up the client computers to use policies in the netlogon share when I login to the domain. The first time the computers were setup they recieved the policies fine. When I updated the policies and tried to add a logon script, the logon script worked the first time but has not updated on subsequent reboots and logins. I am not sure how to force the computers to do a remote update, I have installed groups policies on a few to see if that works with no results. I have cleared the user.dat files for the users without seeing any difference. I am not sure where to go from here. I am just thankful that the computers work in the domain at all. I have also setup the computers to share files from the server (as it is a file server in the network). That was what the original intent in using the login scripts but they have not updated. I cannot see the server in the network neighborhood and since I have setup the server to use dhcp they workstations cannot see or access eachother using \\name or \\ip. I have am, however, able to ping the computers. I am at a loss as to how to fix these problems. If anyone has any ideas, please post. This is an internal network and does not connect to the internet.

Thanks,

Jake

OK. It sounds like most, if not all of this, is a result of poor name resolution. If you are using NT Server, install the WINS service (Go to network properties, then services tab, select "add" and find "Windows Internet Name Service"). Then, after the reboot, setup the WINS IP to be given out by the DHCP service (I am assuming that you are using the DHCP service on the NT Server). After all of this, reboot the clients a couple of times each. Now, what will happen is that all the PCs will get proper name resolution abilities, then they should be able to get the policy file off of the server. After another reboot or two the policies should load and be fine. WINS is the MS version of DNS. It just happens to be dynamic and fairly self-adjusting.

------------------

Regards,

clutch