Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FKTOAST

Will Windows 98 remain the best overall gaming OS or will ME

Just want to see what some of you hard core gamers think about Windows 98 vs ME for the future of gaming for the next couple of years. Will Windows 98 remain the overall best OS for games or will ME beat it out when more hardware and software companies make for support for this new OS?

Semi-Technical responses preferred or links to some cool websites you have already done these tests.

Thanks

i'm curious as to why you posted this on a site called NTCompatible, but you don't even offer win2k or whistler as a choice...

Neither.

The Win9x/DOS line of OS's is dead, WinME thankfully is the end of it.

Couple of years?

I would expect to be running Whistler SR2 by then and enjoying it for gaming as much as I do with Win2k now.

i don't know about that man, if and when they (M$)start that subscription crap, i'll still be using Win2k, if i pay for an OS, i better dam*ed well own it.

MS aren't forcing anybody to 'lease' their software.

They are just offering it as an alternative for large companies.

If MS tried forcing a leased OS onto the average home users, well it would simply fail.

Anyway, if you read through all the license agreements with current OS's, you hardly own it anyway smile

yeah the lease is to large companies that don't want to spend the money to get new software every year or 2 so they lease a liscense and MS keeps their software up to date right? I dunno that is how i would run it though if i owned M$ and have more money than GOD.

WINME??? ROFL ROFL DID HE SAY WINME LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

------------------

Celeron II 566@875 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Win98FE

Win ME is rubbish,

In stabilty tests I found 98SE much more stable.

Network performance was only slightly better but thats thanx to the TCP/IP implementation taken from win2k's.

Certain Games didn't wanna run at-all.

The biggest problem was Half-Life, giving errors saying that loads of files were missing.

In 1 word, RUBBISH!!

I agree. WinME is pretty much trash. My father ran it in his office for some unknown reason, and all it did for him was crash, and give him worse support for his DOS software than Win98se. Before all of you kill me for saying he uses DOS software, understand that he's been using the same software for nearly a decade and the company never saw a need, until very recently, to move out of the DOS environment. In other words, he's got no choice. Either he learns different tax software or he deals with DOS for the time being.

Regardless, the entire 9x kernal has been in a downward spiral since it was created. Sure, its a nicer interface than 3.x, but the NT based systems use a very similar one. Only a few differences in the asthetics that really mean anything.

So in conclusion, WinME is a step down from an already poor operating system.

------------------

Marc Chadwick / Divine Wrath

"There are three kinds of people in the world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

I disagree to a certain point with the whole Win9x line being trash.

When Windows 95 first made it's appearance I was more than impressed.

I went through the same problems I now go through with Win2000, some software houses refused to even admit it existed, some of my favourite games wouldn't work.

All in all I found Win95 a good experience.

More so, I even decided to dig deep in it and within two months of it's release I gained my very fist MCP qualification in it.

The problems arrise when people seem to think that the newer releases were basically new products.

Win95 A, B & C, Win98, Win98SE, WinME are all nothing but bug fixes or slight upgrades.

Win98SE is what Win95 should have been when it came out all those years ago.

It will be sad to see Win9x go, not only because it makes one of my qualifications worthless smile

Personally I feel MS milked that line too much and should have consentrated more on getting people over to the WinNT line of code.

By the time Whistler hits the shelves it's going to be 8 years siince Win9x was released, 8 years of pushing one line of code is a long time.

I think WinMe's net code is crap. It won't work at all with my Lucent modem, after 20 seconds of connectivitiy the connection dies. It won't work with a lot of modems and it connected at slower speeds for me, 42000 bps compared to 52000 bps under Win98. The OS crashes far too much on my system and it feels sluggish just navigating the start menu or even using help. The system restore and other PC health options are crap and not used effectively like it is under Windows 2000. All games will support 95/98 until Whistler will come out, so WinME will never pick up speed. 98 is better for everything compared to WinME, and advanced users will use 2000, although I encourage people with good computers to give Win2000 a go.

i use WIN2K right now.

yes, some games don't work as good as they do on win98 or don't work at all

but, win2k is sooo much more stable! 98 crashed on me every day!

the only games i'm having troubles with on 2k are all '99 games (nba 99, nhl 99 etc), and some of the new games released in 2k like nba inside drive and half life (not such a big problem w/ HL actually)

but overall, win2k is so much better, and all the new games coming out this year will be da bomb on it!

I forgot when was the last time I even booted to Win98. Maybe I should just erase that useless operating system.

All the games I play run awesome in Win2000, all the games that don't run... I just don't play them smile

I only play Q3 and UT, both of which work very well in Win2K (plus I don't have to reboot after a 6hr session of Q3 online just to check my mail or use AIM :)). The only game I miss playing is Forsaken. While the game works very well in Win2K, I can't use my SpaceOrb frown .