Compatible Support Forums
Kain Bloodstone

USB Device Not Recognized (Malfunction)

Originally Posted By: sergyuk
OK. I have a pentium D 3.4Ghz machine with a 661GX-M7 motherboard.

I have a GForce FX5200 128mb video card, with 1.5 GB of ram. Recently upgraded.

I have Windows XP.

I have solved the "USB device is not recognised" problem, by going into the bios and disabling "USB 2.0 Support" option. (near "USB Legacy Support", and "USB Mouse Support"). Everything works fine. My 512k internet connection has no slow down in ping for games and everything works fine.

Yeah my data transfer will be slower on my 1G memory stick but who cares? I use it once a month for relatively small files so it's not like I need the speed.

No other solutions worked and I couldn't be bothered trying anything else.

So it comes down to only an issue with 2.0 on my system. If this works for other people, then the problem must have something to do with USB 2.0

i could find no such option in my BIOS sadly frown could you be clearer as to where you had to go to find it?

I have had this problem on my Acer laptop for about 2 years. ACER advised me to reinstall Windows XP (I passed) and I ended up buying a PCMCIA - USB card. It was about $30 and has 2 USB 2.0 ports. Only now, my card is starting to act up. Could be the card going bad... I am now looking at Bluetooth USB hubs. Anyone tried that?

Originally Posted By: danleff
Borg22, what model number is this laptop?

its a custom made ibuypower Battalion S-turbo laptop..not sure what he model number would be closest thing i can find is:

258ka0

Thanks to all who have contributed. My issue is similar but involves AT&T/Cingular's (HTC) 8525 model pocket PC using the USB cable to sync. Some days it recognizes just fine, and on others it does not.

I am on a Dell Inspiron 9400 using Vista. I, like many others, believe this is a Microsoft USB/Human Interface Device subsystem issue. BIOS adjustments, PC reboots, removing all other USB devices does not seem to work. The only thing that has worked for me is to reboot the PC and perform a soft reset on the phone.

It has worked everytime for me. My wireless Microsoft USB laptop mouse has never had an issue, but it is less complex. Think about it - iPods, Smart Phones, Pocket PC phones, and the like are running a separate mobile OS, so there is a much more elaborate handshake going on.

This issue would have already been resolved if large companies used USB devices as a common practice since they are the ones with the premium Microsoft support contracts (I used to work for AIG and we would have a top notch Microsoft developer on the phone with us of and on for weeks tearing into the guts of COM objects, hang dumps, the works). Unfortunately, though, this is not an enterprise software issue and will not have the same urgency. If anyone knows of a good .NET programmer with some spare time, they could probably get some detailed info through their IDE tools that would provide clarification in how the USB/HID handshake works.

I'll drop a post at some Pocket PC sites and others as well.

Wildman94

Wow...my eyes are bulging out of my head after all the "usb device not recognized" posts I've read. On my Acer Aspire 1804, I simply went to Device Manager and uninstalled the "Unknown device," as well as the Intel 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C. Then I rescanned my hardware and WinXP reloaded both items. Lastly, I unplugged the device and immediately plugged it back in again...and it worked. Every time! This only an occasional problem, but since this is a USB world, it becomes an even bigger problem when you need the device NOW!

Not sure about all the stuff others are doing with editing the registry and unplugging batteries for a half an hour. Seems like a waste of time. As an AV/IT consultant, I don't have that kind of time to be waiting around for a fix to happen. Hope a fix comes with USB 2.X or 3.X.

I have got the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" bug. I have tried just about everything in this forum. Nothing has worked. By the way, due to all the attention, my computer is running the best its every run. The only problem is, it will not recognize any USB devices. Device manager states that USB's are working fine. However, when I place a USB device in the port, it comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized." Everything works ok in my laptop so it's not my USB devices.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ with 2.1Gb of Ram and I run Windows XP SP2 Professional. The motherboard is a MSI K8N SLI Platinum. My dilemma is that I cannot find the same motherboard to replace it (that's if it is a hardware problem). I don't think they make them anymore. Anyhow, it's nearly two years old.

I would like to fit the problem because the computer still does the job. So, I look with interest for more solutions. By the way, I tried the PS/2 conversion to USB, but it didn't work. As I said, everything else works except for USB Device. It's a mystery.

I just discovered that if I have any USB devices attached to the computer when starting the computer, it will not start up. In fact, it locks up immediately. When I take the USB device out and press reset, it starts as normal. Still looking for some pointers to fix the the problem.

I gave up and found another motherboard. I will let you all know how things go once I put the new motherboard in.

Lawd, I feel so stupid. The problem (for me) lies with the drivers for the Intel 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller. It's not a hardware problem. It's a driver problem.

You can buy a USB 2.0 card or put in a new motherboard, but you would still be using the same drivers. So, you would still wind up with the same problem down the road. Some people on here have it right: The workaround is to disable USB 2.0 support. But I edit video and need the speed (until I switch to firewire).

I wonder if it's possible to use Linux drivers to solve this problem? Hhhmmm.....

Just today, I experienced the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" balloon. Great.

My Specs:

Dell Precision 380

Windows XP Pro, SvcPk2

2GB Ram

Pentium D 3GHZ

Here is a list of my USB devices that I normally have plugged in at one time or another:

SmartDisk card reader

Dell optical mouse

Maxim keyboard

Motorola Q Docking station

Iriver 4GB Clix

I had returned from a meeting and noticed that my screen saver was activated, as it should be. I always lock my computer when walking away, as I work in cubicle land. Sort like the movie "Office Space".

I docked my Motorola Q, and a second later plugged in my Iriver to charge the battery. At this point, the computer locked up. The screen saver no longer responed, and the keyboard and mouse were dead. I powered the system down with the power button and waited a few mintues. I then powered it back up and noted that ALL of my USB ports were not responding. Great.

After messing around with removing the USB devices in Device Manager, I found this site and read the entire thread. A few posts back somebody talked about going into the Registry Editor and removing any USB keys that had "Unknown" keys in them. I did find one key that had unknown USB devices. I deleted this one, and checked the rest of the registry entries. I then shutdown the system, and then unplugged it for about 5 minutes. When i fired it back up, I was not greeted with the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" balloon. I grabbed a USB mouse, said a quick prayer, and plugged in the USB mouse.....it worked. Amazing, well it has worked for now.

I have since plugged in my Motorola Q, Iriver Clix, keyboard, mouse, and SmartDisk card reader, and they all appear to be working fine. I have even plugged int a USB 2GB thumb drive, and it appeared correctly and is working correctly.

It appears that the ONE Unknown USB device was messing it up for the entire bunch of USB ports. All of my ports were not responding.

I did find an article on Mircosoft's site about the screensaver being on, then plugging in USB devices within 10 seconds of the screen saver coming out of S5 or S6, things would go bad. I followed their directions, but they didn't work (no surprise there).

I have concluded that my next computer purchase will be a MAC. Based on Microsoft's lack of interest in fixing their own operating system, massive security problems, problems with their new operating systems, disregard for the public's concerns, and an apparent inability to address the issues; I'm done with Microsoft's junk.

I have an MCSA and I provide computer support for a large population of Windows users. However, my own personal preference is now MAC. Since the Knuckle Dragging Goons at Microsoft have no interest in fixing their junk, I predict more and more people will be joining the MAC ranks.

ARE YOU READING MICROSOFT!

Omg guys, i tried plugging my ipod into the computer and it told me "USB Device Not Recognized" and i tried everything i could imagine to fix this, but nothing worked, and it's driving me crazy. If you kno the sure answer, plz let me know

e-mail: wilson_duarte@yahoo.com

aim: williedakid62389

thnxs

Wow, looks like we have some new people in the post.

Alright, well as promised a while back, I bring forth a new update.

I am still ailed with the same problem, and I finally got around to talking to Alienware Support (i have an alienware area-51 gaming pc).

I ran the whole problem by them, and even directed them to THIS thread. The AW Support guy told me to flash my bios to the most current revision that my motherboard can use (ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard), I was using REV 1017 by alienware, and I upgraded to 1024.001 Beta from the ASUS site. This did not fix my problem. I was further instructed to check the USB Connector heads on the motherboard, and if that does not fix it, I should replace my motherboard.

Seems like all tech support leads to the same place, replacement of faulty motherboard. That sux.

I have also tried disabling the usb 2.0 drivers in the bios menu, but that did not fix my problem either.

I am pretty much at my wits end on this one. Pleeing to M$ doesn't seem to help, and up to date, nobody has found a definate fix. I'm still looking though. Thanks to everyone who has been adding to this thread, and I hope that help and support keeps coming until we find a cure.

EDIT - I have never been able to find the registry entry that has the "Unknown USB Devices" in it, I have looked in every Vid_XXX folder I can find, but never find the unknown usb device entry...So that fix has not been able to work for me either =/

Kain;

I am not probably be of much help, but figure that I can throw some free floating ideas into the mix. You have a complex array of bios options with your motherboard. Since you upgraded the bios, did you check the bios settings for USB fully? Sometimes the default settings, if that is what you chose when you upgraded the bios, miss a few things. In the users manual for the Asus motherboard, section 4.4.6, note the options in the Advanced-->USB Configuration. Are all eight ports activated?

Is legacy USB support set to auto?

What do the other settings say?

Guys, I've been following this thread as I too have the USB issue with my brand new MSI P35 Platinum, and I'm on the verge of returning it.

While searching the MSI Forums, I found this article regarding the tenth pin on MB USB connectors creating all sorts of problems.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=57472.0

Does anyone think this issue relates to our problem here?

Originally Posted By: danleff
Kain;

Are all eight ports activated?

Is legacy USB support set to auto?

What do the other settings say?

Yes, yep, and yes.

I actually come here with some good news, for me at least.

After talking to Alienware Tech Support for the last few days, I have managed to resolve my problem.

At this point I'm extremely embarrased to say that the problem on my system at least was caused by a dirty USB Header. Also, my USB Header was not connected all the way on my front usb ports.

The AW tech support guy basically told me 2 things to help fix the problem, 1) update BIOS (which looking back now, I didn't really have to do), and 2) Check USB Headers and see if they are in working shape.

After checking on my headers, I noticed that one of them wasn't securely fastened, so I cleaned em up, fastened them, and crossed my fingers hoping that my USB Ports would work again. The time it took for my system to boot up, launch windows, and start my initial programs (a 30-45 second process) seemed like an eternity. I couldn't wait to plug a usb device in, I finally did, and JOY!

I pluged in a differnt MP3 player then the one I mentioned in this thread, and low and behold, I almost cried when Windows recognized the usb device, installed its drivers, and updated them. Holy cow, my problem is solved. After 7 loooooong months I can use my USB Ports again.

So for those of you who still have the problem, check your USB Headers! Maybe it will work for you.

For those not as tech savy, the USB Headers are the connection slots on your Motherboard that connects the wire from the motherboard to the front end usb ports. Unplug the wire on both sides, blow some canned air into the connectors, clean the pins, fasten the wire back in tightly. Experience joy, hopefully.

Lets just hope that this isn't a temp fix, I sincerely hope I won't have these problems anymore.

To all you out there who have the USB Device Not Recognized problem:

I was struggling with this issue for several days and finally found the ultimate solution (well not exactly a solution but more of a workaround - hey but what the hec? it works!!!)

I've noticed that many of you have taken extreme (and costly) measures such as formatting your hard drives and replacing motherboards - in most cases this was ineffective, so here's what I advise:

Laptop users: Go to the nearest computer accessory department and purchase a PCMCIA-to-USB adapter. There are many cheap ones out there that can provide you up to 2-3 USB sockets on them... if more are needed just plug in a USB HUB into this adapter and you're all set. (Let's face it - no one uses PCMCIA anymore but they still exist on EVERY Laptop)

PC Users: Follow the same procedure as Laptop users after buying a PCMCIA socket for your desktop.

Total cost: 60 USD

Good luck and remember that workarounds are often better than solutions :-)

Ari

Have you turned the computer off and on again?

I tried a lot of things to get rid of USB Device not Recognized. I was getting it on all USB devices except the mouse. All USB devices had been working before. I tried to update drivers, even installed XP on a second disk, then dialed a friend. I laughed when he said "Did you turn it off and on again?", but THAT'S WHAT WORKED!

After I shut down XP and pulled the plug out of the computer for a few secs, then powered up - all USB devices recognized, until I came to a camera. USB Device not Recognized. So powered off and on again. All USB devices recognized again (except the camera).

Theory? Probably unplugged the camera when it was switched on. This probably buggered the camera interface. Then whenever the camera was plugged in it put the USB controller into some funny state so that it rejected most USB devices.

Dear All,

In regards to "USB Device Not Recognized" after personally having tasted it and searching for solutions, i have found a way it can be resolved. The following is what i did to resolved this USB issue:

Unplug your USB Device first. You will plug it in again the final steps.

Before you do this, do a backup of your registry:

Start-Run- type in "regedit" (without quotations) and click ok.

registy window will pop up. Go to File - Export and save to a location of your choice.

1)Delete the follwing folders and its contents ( if found) in the :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM\USB\Vid_xxxx

Note:You need to set permission to delete the folder Vid_xxxx

Right Click on the Vid_xxx and set permission and then do the delete.

2)Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Check if there is a key name USB, if its not there then create a new key USB

If key found check for any DWORD value name as DisableSelectiveSuspend

if found then set its dword value as 1. If not found, then create a new DWORD value and name it: DisableSelectiveSuspend

Add the value as 1 to it.

3) Check for any chipset driver/inf update available for your motherboard. If found any, do a update them. To know what motherboard and chipset your system has, go to http://www.cpuid.com/ and download the cpuzid utility. a simple good utility to identilfy the chipset and etc. Using the info you can google for the chipset updates.

4) Restart your computer after all these been done. Restart even if there is no chipset drivers to update.

5) go to Start - Run and type in :"devmgmt.msc"(without quotation)and click OK. Device Manager will pop up.

5) In the Device Manager, scroll down to usb serial bus controller. uninstall everthing you see there.

6) now scroll to system devices ( pls note in the System devices, the names may not be exactly the same as listed below)You will be prompted at certain uninstallation to restart, dont restart, keep uninstalling all those in the system devices. At times while you are uninstalling, u will see some getting installed again. No worries. Here is the folowing to uninstall from the System devices:

PCI Bridge

SMBus controller

Microcode Update Device

PCI bus

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

System board

7)Once all these is done, restart you pc.

Let the system update and install for hardware found automatically.

8)Once all is done, restart your computer again

9) wait for the system to settle down with all the windows start up process. after a while, plug in your USB device.

10) Windows will detect it perfectly and you wont see the "USB Device Not Recognized".

I hope this will help to resolve the USB Device Not Recognized issue for everyone as it has done for me. I took this step after trying and failing on many solutions found in the net even ms soultions didnt work. But I have added them as a step so that every area is covered for this issue.

Thanks and regards,

chandra

This thread is so long, I am not a skilled writing or talking, however I am really interesting the daily news and try my best to read all posts

Just thought I'd contribute my experience. I started getting the "USB Device has malfunctioned" error only after I started using the Airlink101 802.11G USB adapter. However when the error occurred, only one of my USB devices is affected: my Microsoft USB optical mouse. Luckily I could still browse the internet using my keyboard. I typed the error message into Google and was lead here. I tried adding the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB key and DisableSelectiveSuspend DWORD to no avail. What did seem to work is shutting down the PC and unplugging my power supply unit (Antec NEOHE 550w) for a few seconds. Plugged it back in and voila, the mouse works again. I think I'm going to leave that registry key in there even though it seems it didn't help. Here are my system specs:

Abit AW8-D Intel 975x chipset with current chipset drivers from Intel.com

Pentium D 3.0ghz

MSI Radeon x1900xt 512mb running custom Omega 3.8.360 drivers

1gb RAM

300gb SATA

Airlink101 AWLL3026 802.11G adapter with up-to-date "bare" drivers from their website (they have another set of drivers that includes a configuration utility but I prefer to use Windows to set it up so it automatically connects after I log in)

Microsoft Optical USB Mouse (this is the device that Windows was saying malfunctioned)

I have had this same problem too. I did the DisableSelectiveSuspend key trick, and it worked for a few weeks(sort of- everything functioned, but I would still get random error balloons). Anyways, as of this morning it no longer works. I noticed that the DWord value is set to Hexadecimal when it should be Decimal, but if I change it, nothing actually happens (the change to decimal doesn't save). Does anyone have any clue on how this might be fixed?

Just thought I'd chime in here and let y'all know what worked for me...

1) Shut down computer

2) Unplug power cable

3) Press button on computer to discharge power

4) Plug in and boot up

Problem fixed.

It worked for me.....

4 port USB HUB "Device Unknown - USB Device Malfunction."

I removed the HUB from the computers USB port I had it plugged into and plugged it into another USB port. (where I had my mouse plugged into)

It worked ! No problems.

The USB port that was causing the problem with the HUB is now running an external HD without problems.

The computers USB port the I had the HUB plugged into appears to be only able to handle one device and not a HUB.

It's worth a try.

Best of luck.