Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Absolute Zer0

How do I set up my SMTP W2K server

I would like to know how to setup the W2K SMTP server/service in order to use it to send email out instead of using the SMTP from my ISP.

Let's see if I can remember how I did it.....

First, you need to install IIS and the SMTP service. It'll probably ask you to restart. Do so. After it's installed, go the Administrative Tools, and then Services, and make sure the SMTP service is started. Then go to Admin Tools and choose Internet Services Manager. Expand your machine, and you should now see Default SMTP Virtual Server. Make sure it isn't stopped. Then, go into your email program, and change your SMTP server to "localhost". Then, all sent mail will be directed through your server. If you have a firewall, I suggest you set it to allow inbound connections from only "localhost". Ta da.

Ok there's my problems I enable the SMTP service from the Services addin BUT I don't get the Virtual SMTP server......I have Default FTP server and Default WWW server in my IIS console.....i've tried adding it in but I just get the FTP and WWW extensions but no SMTP extensions.....yet I DO have the service started up.....do I have to go into Add/Remove then to windows components and click the message queuing services? I haven't added that, network file print services, and script debugger....could that be my problem?

Ok so I got desperate and added the message queing from add/remove programs and viola the virtual server is now there....my question now is how do i set it up on netscape or outlook in order to use MY smtp server to send email instead of using my isp's smtp server? Is this possible? If so please describe what steps I would need to take.

Wow bud. I *think* that I have an idea of what you are trying to do. Let me tell you how I have seen SMTP used for in IIS. I have about 4 intranet sites here at my office (one general, one "datamine", and 2 test) that have various pages with forms on them. Generally, what I do is use CDO statements in ASP code to build emails out of the completed form information. It then gets sent to the appropriate mail server. I also know that there are several folders that will hold messages at varying states of routing (queue, bad, sort temp, etc.) that you may be able to drop stuff off into. Here is a link that will walk you through the setup of SMTP on IIS 4.0 (NT 4.0). I know that while it isn't IIS 5.0, you may find enough similarities to help you out.

http://www.asptoday.com/articles/19990415.htm

HTH

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Okay, once you've got your SMTP server up and running (following the instructions in this thread), open up the Default SMTP Virtual Server properties page, go to Access -> Relay... and check that your computer is allowed to relay through the virtual server (you can just select the "All except the list below" option if you want an easy life).

Lastly, go into your e-mail program and edit the e-mail account details. Change the SMTP server from "smtp.xxxx.com" or whatever it is to "localhost". And there you go; you can now send e-mails as normal without having to use your ISPs SMTP server.

Code:
ABit BX6 (qq BIOS - ACPI enabled)C300A @ 450MHz128MB PC100 RAMCreative Labs 3D Blaster TNT2 UltraCreative Labs SBLive! ValueMacronix MX98715 Ethernet AdapterActionTec Internal 56k PCI ModemIBM 6.4 GB Hard DriveFujitsu 17.3 GB Hard DriveSamsung SCR-3231 CD-ROM DriveWin2kPro (SP-1)Win98SE

[This message has been edited by Xiven (edited 09 September 2000).]