Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MiShY

Putting a password on a shared drive

Hey,

I'm totally new to the world of Win2kPro and I've just set up my first network. From win2kpro to win98se.

I am sharing my c:\ partition with 98se but I would like to password protect it.

I know right click on the drive click sharing then permissions. All well and good. But I set someone from my Win98SE log in group a read-only level but they could still delete files.

That being the case I suppose what I have to do is edit the Security tab.

By removing the "Everybody" login upon reboot you get a page file error because Windows can't access it.

So how can I password this drive ????????

Does anyone know any good security tips for Windows itself ?????

Client connects on proxy. BlackICE installed.

Thanks,

MiShY

The easiesy way is to disable the Guest account on the Win2k machine, and create a new user account for the person who uses the Win98 machine.

That way, you can assign specific rights to files and folders just for that user.

Oh, you have to be running NTFS for all the security stuff to work properly, so you will need to convert your partitions if they are running in FAT32.

Thanks Bursar cool answer mate smile

I'm gradually getting used to Win2k laugh

MiShY

You can also install some directory services on Win2K Pro. However you won't have full functionality. That is reserved for the Server versions.

Get yourself an evaluation version (or full) of Server or Advanced Server. Then you will have full user policy control over everything including their desktop. If you really want to learn about Win2k, that is the way to do it. All you need is a 2 gig partition on your computer and install the Server there. Then you will be able to boot to either Pro or Server to play with both.

Have fun with it :-)