Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RK

NT4 - SP6a causes 'Network Neighborhood' to die

I've just done a clean install of NT4, and can succesfully install the network card and see other computers in the Workgroup, but as soon as I install SP6a I can't see any workgroups at all. After clicking through the 'Entire Network' icon, I can reach the local workgroup, but nothing is in it.

Anyone know what's going on?

Hi,

I don't know what Microsoft tells people, and don't care, but people that I know say that SP6 is cursed.

I have stopped at SP5, which is a good SP to install. SP6 is a no-no, in most cases, people told me that it causes their PCs to lock up, once again, I don't have any personal experience it that.

A couple things to do though, go to the Policy editor and make sure that Network Neighborhood is set to show for the local computer, also check with the registry.

Maybe SP6 has a bug in it, 'cause SP6a exists.

-

cap0ne

When SP6 came out, I remember seeing warnings about Lotus Notes security problems. Funnily enough, SP6a came out very shortly afterwards - we run this patch on 10 servers without problems.

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the network drivers? What protocols are installed after SP6a? Did you install Simple TCPIP services? Tell us some more about your configuration...

I use SP6a on 2 servers and 30 workstations, no problems. Are you able to ping the other boxes? Can you type the UNC path in IE and connect to the other machines and their respective shares? Don't just count on "Network Neighborhood" to show you all your information. I know I had problems with NT4 WS in a Win98/Novell environment because of browse master issues.

------------------

Regards,

clutch