Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xcom97

How do you set up a PDC in win 2k?????

I've been wrestling w/ WIN2K server for the past 3 days to set up a domain controller and to no avail first when i go through the wizard it appears that everthing is going to work it gets through asking me if this is the only DC and runs through DNS then starts active directory installation in unattended mode then CRAP it throws out an error message "the network location could not be found "what am i doing wrong ? pls help Thanks

I think he's going to find a DNS server capable of Dynamic updates, and he can't find it...maybe he's set up the Network by using a DHCP server that he can't find.

Try under the properties of the local connection in My Network Places to force a IP address.... Active Directory don't need a Win2k DNS Server, but a DNS server that is capable of dynamic update (but I think this is needed in case You use a DHCP server). If your DNS Server is manually configured, and configured well, you should not have any problems at all. So, when he says to you he wants to install a DNS server, try choosing the option below, to manually configure your DNS server.

Then talk with the DNS admin, and check if the DNS server is capable of dynamic updates...

I know there more to say, but it would take ages to explain... Try also http://www.brainbuzz.com

for resources on windows 2000 and his DNS, you'll be redirected to a white paper on every aspect of DNS implementation under W2k, from the W2k Resource Kit!

It's impossible to set up an NT4-compatible Win2000 domain controller.

If you want to play around with Win2000, use it as a member server only, and only upgrade your PDC when you are ready to move your domain to Active Directory.

Well, if it's impossible, please tell me how I was able to do this, because I've NT workstations in my 2000 domain, with only one Domain Controller Server!

well i finally set it up thanks for the pointers here was my scenario :

1 laptop

1 xircom realport modem / 10/100 nic

1 copy win2k server

I wanted to set up a win2k domain controller but when i got to the configure your server screen and went through the wizard choosing the "only one server option" i would always fail at the very end when it would try to install active directory.The 2 only things i did different were connecting it to the network ,and checking the configure your server later then going into the network properties where you pointed the DNS server back onto itself and viola active directory installed goofy huh? well thanks for your help.