Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Has this been covered?

I'm currently running Windows 2000 on my Tower PC, but am running Win98SE(and will be running a beta of WinME) on my laptop. Is there a way I can connect the two through the modem directly for file transfers?

Of will I have to go out and buy a damned expsensive PCMCIA Ethernet card and another hub?

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

Well if you meant by actually calling the other computer using the modem which you would need 2 lines for then you could do that or conecting two computers with a parrell or serial port is another cheap way to do that, but obviously you wouldnt get the best performance.

I bought a serial cord last summer when I had my old laptop, but it never seemed to work.

I meant by direct connection, no calling.

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

to do a direct serial link, it has to be a NULL modem cable.... a normal serial cable will not work

I think Belkin make a USB direct cable connection cable - this may work and will obviously be faster than serial - given that both machines have usb ports

I think what I'm going to do is use my Win2k server box as a server, rather than a workstation, and set up my 486 and laptop as clients to myself...depending on how cheap I can find an ISA NIC for my 486.

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

If you have PCI slots in that 486, you'll probably find it cheaper to get a PCI card. Most companies charge extra for ISA these days.

I'm just hunting the ebay and classifieds2000 circuits. Found one for $5. I don't need anything fancy for it. Maybe on my 2K machine I'll splurge and by a nice one, or maybe I'll just get another one for $5. Either way, I already have a PCI that works fine, albeit the cord falls out all the time(damned INTEL)

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.